IS350 Tire Change - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 07:09 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Tire Change - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

To all:

As I'm thinking of replacing the Summer Running tires that come standard on the IS350 when my vehicle arrives, to a high performance all-season tires [as I do not like switching tires/rims for the winter], I was wondering what your thoughts were about this tire, or any other tire that you could recommend that would suffice.

I know that I can get a nice set of performance winter tires/rims and get better performance out of the Summer Running tires in the dry seasons - so please don't flame me

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-13-06 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-13-06, 07:24 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

why would we flame you for this post? Go for it. Michelin Pilots are some of the best tires you can get. It doesnt snow that bad in NC, right? I live in VA and correct me if I'm wrong but our snowfall is about the same. So you might see a couple of days this year exceeding 5in or more. Other than that..you're golden.
Old 12-13-06, 07:35 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
why would we flame you for this post? Go for it. Michelin Pilots are some of the best tires you can get. It doesnt snow that bad in NC, right? I live in VA and correct me if I'm wrong but our snowfall is about the same. So you might see a couple of days this year exceeding 5in or more. Other than that..you're golden.

I'm coming over from G35Driver; and I'm not generalizing, but the it's a snipe fest over there if your not totally 100% pro G35 - very closed minded some are [again not everyone]. At least here, I get some honest answers - in favor of the ISx50 or not.

I'm in NY actually for most of the winter, so I'll have some winter driving to do no doubt. I was just wondering if anyone has 1st hand experience w/running some all season high performance tires on the IS350 – these tires look like they can fit-the-bill w/out sacrificing much in the performance department.
Old 12-13-06, 09:29 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my experience with RWD cars, all seasons will not work. We (pacific nw) get snow here once every 4-6 years and it only lasts a few days at most. (We also get freezing rain and ice and you can forget about driving with or without snow tires.)

I had all seasons on my G sedan. With a light dusting of snow (1-2"), I couldn't even get out of my driveway which has about a 5% incline at most.

If you can make it through all of the white noise on g35driver, you'll find that to be true for most everyone.

If you're going to be driving in snow, get a set of dedicated tires. It's expensive but cheap if you avoid an accident, auto body shop hassle, etc.

Just MO, course.
Old 12-13-06, 09:31 AM
Peacefrog
Driver School Candidate

I had Michelin Pilots on my old Acura TL, I had no complaints.
Old 12-13-06, 10:08 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

They are the best all season tire I have ever tried and I have tried most of them. No expense spared.
Old 12-13-06, 10:08 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

My sister had them on her old MB C230 RWD coupe..they were stickkyy. and yes they were staggered. They worked like a charm.
Old 12-13-06, 10:18 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
They are the best all season tire I have ever tried and I have tried most of them. No expense spared.
Are you running these on you’re IS now...? Anyone have a pic of these on an IS..? I looked at Michelin's website, found a pic - but they look a-little like a HP snow tire from the profile.

Not sure I like that look.
Old 12-13-06, 10:34 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

What is the mileage rating on these?

Any better than the Bridgestones that came with the IS?
Old 12-13-06, 10:43 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
What is the mileage rating on these?

Any better than the Bridgestones that came with the IS?
Tread wear is [400] w/a "standard warranty" - not sure what that warranty means in regards to tire life/wear.
Old 12-13-06, 01:49 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al503
In my experience with RWD cars, all seasons will not work. We (pacific nw) get snow here once every 4-6 years and it only lasts a few days at most. (We also get freezing rain and ice and you can forget about driving with or without snow tires.)

I had all seasons on my G sedan. With a light dusting of snow (1-2"), I couldn't even get out of my driveway which has about a 5% incline at most.

If you can make it through all of the white noise on g35driver, you'll find that to be true for most everyone.

If you're going to be driving in snow, get a set of dedicated tires. It's expensive but cheap if you avoid an accident, auto body shop hassle, etc.

Just MO, course.
I agree. I know a guy that just bought a set of dunlop performance WINTER tires because he couldn't even move when there was less than an inch of snow on the ground. This was last winter in boston and he had performance all seasons on it at the time(dont know what brand). The truth is these cars are terrible in snow and ice without a good set of winter rubber.
Old 12-13-06, 02:03 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

DO IT... PS2 tires are the best tires on the market IMO. I've them on my other car.
Old 12-13-06, 02:30 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Tread wear is [400] w/a "standard warranty" - not sure what that warranty means in regards to tire life/wear.
I guess my question should have been are these 15k tires or better?
Old 12-13-06, 03:15 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I guess my question should have been are these 15k tires or better?
unless you're drifting on a regular basis, yes. They should last more than 15K.

If there is any general rule of thumb, add 2 zeros to the end of the treadwear rating for the approx mileage. There are many exceptions to this and one brand's 400 may be another brand's 300.
Old 12-13-06, 05:01 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jman-is350
DO IT... PS2 tires are the best tires on the market IMO. I've them on my other car.
The OP said Pilot Sport A/S, not PS2 - he's looking for an all-season tire not summer only like the OEM he currently has, otherwise I would agree that the PS2 would be a great substitute for summer-only duty . . .

Quick Reply: IS350 Tire Change - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S