IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 11:08 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried finding the fuse for the Nav before. Which fuse is it? Thanks.
Old 11-29-06, 11:33 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ONLY difference we have found between the two firmwares is the override. So, the proof that we are in fact going between the two different firmwares is the fact that we have the override when the V1550 is installed, and it goes away when V1650 is installed.

This was tested in a 2006 IS350.

Originally Posted by kensteele
I may have to try this myself, good job! Thanks for providing the info.

Are you sure you can go back and forth with the firmware? I know maybe the version number on the screen might change or maybe it appears that the [re]loading is taking place (which in and of instead is not exactly proof) but are you absolutely sure that the old firmware is put back into the nav? What is different about the old firmware vs. the new firmware (functionality, color, routing, new screens, etc) that proves the new firmaware is removed and reverts back to the old firmware?

I'm asking for those of us with '06 who screw up this conversion and want to simply start over and go back to the old '06 disc and firmware and get the old override back, are you 100% positive?
Old 11-29-06, 11:48 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
It's NOT in the glove box on the IS250 or IS350. The nav DVD is located BEHIND the clock face that is below the nav screen. There are two small holes to access it. There is a tool that comes with the IS to do this. You pop the face off and then eject the disc via the nav interface. Do a search, you'll find pics and links...
oh my mistake..i thought it was from what i can barely remember when i went to the dealer...haha i don't own one yet....still waiting for mine
Old 11-29-06, 12:02 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sickntired
I've tried finding the fuse for the Nav before. Which fuse is it? Thanks.
The fuse that powers the NAV unit is labeled TV-1 under the drivers side dash. Removing it for a minute or more will not wipe out your phone book or radio presets.
Old 11-29-06, 12:27 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it still possible to purchase the v5.1 DVD? I have an 07 that has the v6.1 DVD.

Thanks
Old 11-29-06, 12:51 PM
x986
Rookie

Brovo "technique"; I knew someone here could do it. After some misteps I am finally getting provicient using the override. It is no longer more than a minor inconvenience.
Old 11-29-06, 01:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

The ONLY difference we have found between the two firmwares is the override. So, the proof that we are in fact going between the two different firmwares is the fact that we have the override when the V1550 is installed, and it goes away when V1650 is installed.

So does the override come back when you reinstall firmware V1550?

sorry if i missed that.
Old 11-29-06, 02:45 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
So does the override come back when you reinstall firmware V1550?

sorry if i missed that.
np... Yes, it comes back.
Old 11-29-06, 05:35 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

I see it's been asked a couple of times already, but not really answered. Seems like you guys are tap dancing around the answer to this question; maybe because it involves piracy which I understand isn't "legal" on the boards here...

So for those of us that have a 2007 with the 6.1 disc, how do we go about purchasing a 5.1 disc or some other alternative? As far as I know you can't go to Lexus and get a 5.1 disc now that the 6.1's are out. Can someone please clarify how I am to get a copy of this disc so that I can make my over ride disc with the updated maps? (And no I'm not asking where to download it, I clearly asked where I could purchase a disc)

Please PM me or post it clearly enough so that everyone that reads this thread will understand.
Old 11-29-06, 06:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
I see it's been asked a couple of times already, but not really answered. Seems like you guys are tap dancing around the answer to this question; maybe because it involves piracy which I understand isn't "legal" on the boards here...

So for those of us that have a 2007 with the 6.1 disc, how do we go about purchasing a 5.1 disc or some other alternative? As far as I know you can't go to Lexus and get a 5.1 disc now that the 6.1's are out. Can someone please clarify how I am to get a copy of this disc so that I can make my over ride disc with the updated maps? (And no I'm not asking where to download it, I clearly asked where I could purchase a disc)

Please PM me or post it clearly enough so that everyone that reads this thread will understand.
I think you answered your own question, i.e. if your Lexus dealer or authorized Lexus parts reseller doesn't stock the 5.1 disc any longer you won't be able to do this mod.

To me this whole hack thing is a tempest in a teapot. When I use the NAV I set it before setting off so don't have a need for the override. I certainly wouldn't spend $250+ on the upgraded version just to be able to do this. That's just me. But to some it seems like it is a pretty important thing to have. That's fine.

Until my 5.1 maps go out of date in day to day use I'll probably not change. Maybe in two or three years I'll swap it out. By that time the McDonalds and Starbuck's on the 5.1 disc will be out of date as new ones are added.
Old 11-29-06, 06:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

A few options
1) call your dealer or our CL vendors. Sewell for example is taking trade-ins, ask them what they do with those and if you can buy one. Local dealers may even want to unload the old ones cheap (it doesn't hurt to ask)
2) Check ebay
3) Post a WTB (want to buy) in our classifieds. There is a very good chance that some members will NOT want to do this hack but will still want to upgrade their Nav DVD to the latest and greatest. Buy theirs.

Note on #2 and #3, be very precise with exactly which DVD you get... there are a lot of versions and part #s and it can get quite confusing.
Old 11-29-06, 06:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

is this it ?

edit: never mind that's not it; attempting to say check ebay.

Last edited by kensteele; 11-29-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 10:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Do you still maintain that the only difference is the hack, now that Lexus has issued a TSB to fix "Navigation shows vehicle in wrong location" here: http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/116...-06/13061.html

I wonder if folks going back to the old firmware are getting the version that susceptible to this problem.
Old 11-30-06, 05:30 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Do you still maintain that the only difference is the hack, now that Lexus has issued a TSB to fix "Navigation shows vehicle in wrong location" here: http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/116...-06/13061.html

I wonder if folks going back to the old firmware are getting the version that susceptible to this problem.
Yes, the only difference we have seen is the hack. None of our navs (V5.1 or V6.1) have ever "gotten lost" like the TSB says. I think most people don't experience the issued mentioned in the TSB. Must be only certain areas/situations.

Anyway, you can always put back in your original V6.1 DVD and go back to stock with the latest (non-override) firmware should you wish...
Old 11-30-06, 06:32 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I actually think there are some changes with the new firmware.

1. I was having the navigation problems as described earlier and this was immediately resolved with the updated firmware. Previously, my GPS was seeing 1-3 satellites but locking on to none of them. With putting in the new disk with the new firmware, the GPS immediately found 9 satellites and locked on to 7 of them. This wouldn't be obvious unless one was having this problem like I was.

2nd, the HVAC ventilate/recirculate/auto setting now persists after turning off the car. Has anyone else noticed this? It always frustrated me that this wouldn't stay at the same setting when turning the car back on. However, with the new firmware, it does keep the setting.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD