IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 05:57 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we do not find out what is causing this, i.e. oil type/viscosity, leak down, wear, adjustment or material, we will have to replace tensioners in the future. Of course it depends on if you keep experiencing this, frequency (every start) and for how long. The chain and tensioner should last a long time even with this annoying noise/problem.
Old 04-19-07, 07:52 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 350 in this morning. I spoke with a Master Tech and he surprised me with the following information. He said that he got some information on a monthly conference call that they have a ?few? weeks ago about this issue. He said that it appears that it might have something to do with the VVT-i controller. There are two of them on this engine (V6). He said that it appears that when the car is shut off, sometimes the controller doesn't "switch" or rotate the cam shaft or whatever enables the VVT-i back to it's proper position. So, when the car starts back up, the VVT-i is enabled (or something like that) and the valves are not in the proper position? Man, I hope that made sense. He made more sense than I think I can relate here in this forum. Anyway, he said that there will likely be a forthcoming TSB on this issue. He said that a couple other guys at the dealership have the same car and have experienced the issue. We're not alone. Lexus knows about this issue apparently. They have my car and it looks like they'll replace one or both of the controllers. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old 04-19-07, 10:26 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I changed my oil from 5w-30 to 5w-20. After a couple of instances of the noise afterwards, I took it into the dealership. They couldn't replicate and I actually haven't heard it for about a week and a half now.

I know that there are many who are also using 5w-20 that still have the noise but I guess I'm good for now.

Hopefully, they'll have a TSB for this if/when the noise comes back for me.
Old 04-19-07, 02:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

I haven't heard it for along time now as well, because I make sure I don't start and stop the car in a short period of time.
Old 04-20-07, 01:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
I took my 350 in this morning. I spoke with a Master Tech and he surprised me with the following information. He said that he got some information on a monthly conference call that they have a ?few? weeks ago about this issue. He said that it appears that it might have something to do with the VVT-i controller. There are two of them on this engine (V6). He said that it appears that when the car is shut off, sometimes the controller doesn't "switch" or rotate the cam shaft or whatever enables the VVT-i back to it's proper position. So, when the car starts back up, the VVT-i is enabled (or something like that) and the valves are not in the proper position? Man, I hope that made sense. He made more sense than I think I can relate here in this forum. Anyway, he said that there will likely be a forthcoming TSB on this issue. He said that a couple other guys at the dealership have the same car and have experienced the issue. We're not alone. Lexus knows about this issue apparently. They have my car and it looks like they'll replace one or both of the controllers. I'll let you know how things turn out.
There's already a TSIB. It refers to the VVTi controller not locking properly. The TSIB talks about locking the VVTi controller on install, not start up. It sounds like your master tech was describing this problem. I've often wondered about certain aspects of VVTi, especially since it is oil pressure controlled. This is one of those things I've wondered about specifically.

I doubt it is the tensioners, I suspect it is the cam moving unpredictably until oil pressure gets up to snuff because the VVTi didn't lock itself when the engine was shut off.
Old 04-20-07, 09:36 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Thanks for the input, Lobux.
Old 04-25-07, 09:04 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Default Problem Solved!!!

problem solved.....

I got my car back today. Turns out the noise was from a faulty VVT-i controller. Here's the specifics on the service order.

Faulty VVT-i OCV on right hand side of the engine. Found no9ise coming from right side intake VVT-i gear. Removed intake, right-side valve cover, timing chains. Replaced right side VVT-i camp gear. Let the car sit overnight and check for abnormal noise. O.K. No engine noise. Test drive vehicle and check for all DTC code = OK.

Parts:
(1) 11213-31040 Gasket, Cylinder
(1) 17176-31060 Gasket, Air Surge
(1) 13050-31070 Gear Assy, Camsha
(2) 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Live C

All covered under warranty.

But alas, I picked up the car and lo and behold..... a giant gouge on the front passenger side door, dead center of the panel. 1 step forward...
I'm taking it back by today to have them look at it. They said they could touch it up but it's gonna require more than that...

EDIT: Update. Took it back by the dealer and the service manager, Lloyd, said he'd make it 100% along with a loaner while it was away. Kudos to him and his staff. This is exactly the reason I bought a Lexus and not another Honda or Chevy. Service and a customer-focused attitude like that is what justifies my paying a premium for regular service at the dealership.

Last edited by ahohnstein; 04-25-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:24 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

problem solved.....
Glad you got the problem solved. After about 2 weeks without the noise (right after my oil change) the noise is back. I'll print out the list of parts and take it to my service advisor.

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-25-07, 10:04 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problem solved.....

I got my car back today. Turns out the noise was from a faulty VVT-i controller. Here's the specifics on the service order.

Faulty VVT-i OCV on right hand side of the engine. Found no9ise coming from right side intake VVT-i gear. Removed intake, right-side valve cover, timing chains. Replaced right side VVT-i camp gear. Let the car sit overnight and check for abnormal noise. O.K. No engine noise. Test drive vehicle and check for all DTC code = OK.

Parts:
(1) 11213-31040 Gasket, Cylinder
(1) 17176-31060 Gasket, Air Surge
(1) 13050-31070 Gear Assy, Camsha
(2) 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Live C

All covered under warranty.

But alas, I picked up the car and lo and behold..... a giant gouge on the front passenger side door, dead center of the panel. 1 step forward...
I'm taking it back by today to have them look at it. They said they could touch it up but it's gonna require more than that...
I am now getting this clatter. I am starting to regret buying my Lexus.
Maybe because I've done almost a years worth of driving in 7 months.

First the rattles, now my driver seat might need to be redyed, and this clattering at start up. I'm getting sick of driving 100 miles just to get the car checked. I'll certainly bring this up, the VVT-I OCV. Do you know if they can check this without tearing the car apart? I want this clatter fixed along with my seats, and my rattles when I get my oil change next week! Ahhh!!!!!!

Maybe I should stop talking so positively about Chip its giving him a big head.
Old 04-25-07, 01:57 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Do you know if they can check this without tearing the car apart?
Not sure on that one. The did have to remove the timing chain and valve covers so I don't think it's a SMALL job. I think it took him the better part of a day to complete.
Old 04-25-07, 02:12 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

This is good and bad news. Good that it is not the timing chain tensioner, but bad that it involves pulling a new engine apart like that to fix the noise. I'll keep knocking wood that I have avoided creating the noise again for months now.
Old 04-26-07, 01:41 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure on that one. The did have to remove the timing chain and valve covers so I don't think it's a SMALL job. I think it took him the better part of a day to complete.

Well it has happened twice. My dealer told me to tell them if hear it.

I hate to hear they have to tear the engine apart but......... its rather embarrasing to have that clatter when starting a newer car.
Old 04-26-07, 02:11 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Sounds like it's allot more serious than a VVTi problem, keep us informed. This is not good if Lexus can't get it right the first time.
Old 04-26-07, 02:52 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

so far so good. two days and no sign of the noise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I should say that I was experiencing this upon every startup before they performed this service.

Last edited by ahohnstein; 04-26-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 06:54 PM
JaxIS
Driver School Candidate

Count me as another with the noise on an increasingly frequent basis. Only on cold starts in the morning, or after all day at work (rarely)

Took mine in for its 10k service, and had them look at it (I hadn't seen this post yet)

They heard it once, but were unable to pinpoint. They have a lexus rep coming down from Atlanta on Thur and are supposed to get with him on this issue. Sounds like the solution has already been found. When I hear, I'll post back.

Don

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)