IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tune/File Knob Does Not Work

Old 07-29-14, 05:17 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune/File **** Does Not Work

This morning I hopped in my car and tried to change the station using the Tune/File **** and found that it didn't work. The **** appears to turn fine with nice, soft clicks like normal. I didn't have time to fiddle with it then (ended up using the up and down buttons under the Volume **** to get to the station I needed).

Before I got home, I looked up this issues on the forums and found similar issues reported with RX 3xx owners. Some said on those threads to try to pull the negative terminal of the battery and try to check the radio fuses. So when I got home, I pulled the negative terminal and checked the RAD NO. 1, RAD NO. 2, and RAD NO. 3 fuses. All the fuses were intact but the RAD NO. 3 fuse under the passenger seat had marks on the connector as if it was burned (see attached pics). I ended up getting another 10 Amp micro fuse to replace it and reconnected the battery.

Once I fired up the car the Tune **** was able to turn to another station before then stopped working. Which makes me think that something is holding it up, but I'm not sure about it. A note to add was that behind the fuse cover that is under the passenger seat was some sort of white and blue powder that covered the inside of the cover and several of the fuses.

I also have checked the Faulty Stereo? thread and I'll be trying to push in the bottom radio panel where the **** sometime soon. Anyone has any ideas on what would cause this? Thanks for reading and any input.

For the people that feel like it's TLDR, here is a condensed version:

Started the car in the morning, tried to use the Tune/File **** to change station. **** did not change stations.

Looked at threads on the forums and found similar issues with RX 3xx crossovers with possible fixes.

Got home, tried fixes to no avail. Noticed a fuse that had what looked like burnt connectors, got a replacement fuse installed.

With the car on, the Tune **** was able to change to a station and then immediately stopped.
Attached Thumbnails Tune/File Knob Does Not Work-2014-07-29-19.43.49.jpg   Tune/File Knob Does Not Work-2014-07-29-19.46.01.jpg  
Old 07-31-14, 07:41 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I've found more threads that say that it comes and goes with the weather and that the **** works minutes later after the car has been on and running. Haven't driven in the past two days to really notice or test this. This issue really doesn't bother me as I usually listen to music with a bluetooth device that connects to the AUX jack and I only listen to one radio station. However, do to my previous years in servicing vehicles of all sizes and brands, I have a sense of getting the everything in car as close to 100% working as I can.
Old 08-02-14, 10:27 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Those fuses look fine to me. You should look at the wire inside the plastic casing being broken to identify a burned fuse.

It might the contacts on the **** inside the stereo is not working right (got dirty maybe). You can search for electronic contact cleaner to spray it. You might need to open the stereo to clean it directly to be effective. This is a common problem on some DSLR dials, which I used some to spray on, and it works, but I was too lazy to open the camera so it comes back after a while.
Old 08-02-14, 08:25 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I somehow got it to work again by the thread that I used. I ended up pushing on the area in between the ***** with a good amount of pressure and the **** works again. I'll definitely need to keep up with it to see if it's a vibration issue or a faulty unit.