IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECT PWR button

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 02:02 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECT PWR button

First off, this button makes a huge difference in throttle response, shift timings, and rev range. I read some initial test drives where people said the difference between it being on and off are minimal. This couldnt be further from the truth! With that said, I started wondering well why wouldn't I want it on all the time? Perhaps higher fuel consumption? I will start my experiment with my new tank of gas. My last calculation was 212 miles with 10 gallons (22 mpg city and highway driving). I will try to travel 212 miles with the ECT PWR button on all the time and see how many gallons it drinks. If the onboard computer determines your MPG based on your driving behavior, then what the car displays as how many miles are left in the tank did not change any if at all. This can be misleading, however, so I will post again my mileage after 212 miles (3 days for me).
Old 01-30-06, 02:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Fuel economy (especially if you drive more aggressively where it really kicks in) and I suspect some emissions impact as well with the earlier shifts
Old 01-30-06, 02:32 PM
Cypren
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should see a pretty significant change in fuel economy after using it for a few days -- ECT-PWR mode will tend to "hang onto" a lower gear for as long as possible, giving you as much acceleration as it can until it really needs to shift at a redline. That alone will make a huge difference in your mileage.
Old 01-30-06, 03:02 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you've noticed, ECT changes the shifting and transmission pattern. I have always thought of it as ECT is best used and intended for "city driving" versus driving on the interstate. It will make the car "quicker" as you accelerate in start & stop city driving. If you like the way the car responds, keep it on. If taking a long trip, turn it off.
The following users liked this post:
jmartinez9 (04-25-20)
Old 01-30-06, 03:46 PM
Kermee
Advanced

I find the ECT PWR button a bit too aggressive for my tastes. It does make a huge difference as pointed above. I've just left it in the "normal" position and learned to jam the accelerator if I need the quick downshift and then go to SS if I need to hold it at a particular gear.

But that's just my taste. Everyone else will have a different take of ECT PWR of course.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-30-06, 03:51 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
As you've noticed, ECT changes the shifting and transmission pattern. I have always thought of it as ECT is best used and intended for "city driving" versus driving on the interstate. It will make the car "quicker" as you accelerate in start & stop city driving. If you like the way the car responds, keep it on. If taking a long trip, turn it off.
Crazy. I was on my way home this evening and I thought of posting this very same thread. When I click the button ?mid-throttle? it's almost as if the car eases up (when turned off) or kicks in (when turned on). Since our cars utilize an electronic throttle (I think) I've got a feeling that turning it on makes changes in throttle more pronounced or the throttle more sensitive. I notice a huge difference not just in where the shift points are or how long I hang in one gear or the other. I like to turn it on as sort of a desert on the way home from work... As soon as I get warmed up I like to kick it on around a few streets where I know the cops don't hang out.....and..... LET LOOOOOOSE.
Old 01-30-06, 04:25 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

we're discussin it on the GS3 forum as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196393

what i've noticed so far after about 3 weeks of use...my fuel consumption did hurt a little bit, but i managed 318 miles before filling up to 14 gallons. Not bad considering i have a lot more punch when i'm driving on the streets as well as on the freeways, as it doesnt take as much to get the tranny to downshift for passing or merging. Truly an awesome button. I think i'll change it to say something like turbo boost hehe
Old 01-30-06, 04:28 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by foofighter
we're discussin it on the GS3 forum as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196393

what i've noticed so far after about 3 weeks of use...my fuel consumption did hurt a little bit, but i managed 318 miles before filling up to 14 gallons. Not bad considering i have a lot more punch when i'm driving on the streets as well as on the freeways, as it doesnt take as much to get the tranny to downshift for passing or merging. Truly an awesome button. I think i'll change it to say something like turbo boost hehe
I'm curious, does ECT power only affect things in auto mode? In other words, if it just affects shift points and how long the transmission will hold a gear, I really don't care. I'll have the thing in Sport mode already and will be shifting it myself.

But if I am in Sport and have ECT power on, is there any evidence that it actually changes the speed the shift is carried out at and throttle response, or are these just perceived due to the changing shift points, etc.
Old 01-30-06, 05:03 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heffergm
I'm curious, does ECT power only affect things in auto mode? In other words, if it just affects shift points and how long the transmission will hold a gear, I really don't care. I'll have the thing in Sport mode already and will be shifting it myself.

But if I am in Sport and have ECT power on, is there any evidence that it actually changes the speed the shift is carried out at and throttle response, or are these just perceived due to the changing shift points, etc.
My guess is that it would affect the shift points when in S-mode. Since when you're in S-mode, the gear you select is actually the highest gear the car will shift to, not necessarily what gear you're currently in. E.g. you shift over to S-mode and shift to 5th. Coming to a stop your car downshifts to first. leaving the selected gear in 5th you accelerate. The car follows the "sport/ECT PWR" shift pattern back up to 5th but no higher. Because the car still shifts according to pre-programmed shift patterns, and the button is engaged, I have to believe that there IS a difference in S-mode w/ the button engaged.
Old 01-30-06, 05:04 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
My guess is that it would affect the shift points when in S-mode. Since when you're in S-mode, the gear you select is actually the highest gear the car will shift to, not necessarily what gear you're currently in. E.g. you shift over to S-mode and shift to 5th. Coming to a stop your car downshifts to first. leaving the selected gear in 5th you accelerate. The car follows the "sport/ECT PWR" shift pattern back up to 5th but no higher. Because the car still shifts according to pre-programmed shift patterns, and the button is engaged, I have to believe that there IS a difference in S-mode w/ the button engaged.
Aha. Good point, I always forget that. I'd say you're most likely correct.
Old 01-30-06, 05:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That PWR button along with keeping the overdrive off in my RX is my bread and butter at the track. It makes .1 to .2 difference in my 1/4 mile times, which is significant as many of you racers know.
Old 01-30-06, 07:31 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Aha. Good point, I always forget that. I'd say you're most likely correct.
Also note that even in S mode the PWR button will still make throttle response so much more sensitive. Its a bit crazy in fact IMO and as pointed out earlier I too found it to be too aggressive. Reminded me of driving the S2 M3 I commuted in, just too aggressive. I feel like in order to coast, it means not touch the pedal at all! Ive never floored the car with the PWR button on...like that video from 0-84, similar times to a stock M3.
Old 01-30-06, 07:38 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i drove it in S mode on occassions and it doesnt seem to shift any faster or more aggressive. I do notice though in Auto mode the shifts arent as smooth though...and the it's sensitivity to downshift is a lot more.

And i agree, when this thing builds up a head of steam, it's actually kind of scary because you're just pulling effortlessly and it gets quite a bit of momentum. I love this switch...should have been stock and the switch would be for "cruising"
Old 01-30-06, 11:00 PM
pwndzzled
Rookie

For part of your experiment, you should put it in "SNOW" mode, and see if you get enhanced mileage. I think it does... forces you not to drive aggressively. hehe
Old 01-30-06, 11:01 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be off topic... but is it ok to turn on ECT Power when you're not at a stop? So if I'm going at like 40mph would it be bad in any way to just press it?

Quick Reply: ECT PWR button