IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 10:52 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The one I used years ago was very easy to put on and take off and store. Used it every day for about four years. On really windy days sometimes I'd have one section get untied and have to retie but no problem. Occassionally had bird droppings to clean off the cover and when it would rain it would be wet but a lot of the time it would rain and then it would get a little windy and dry before I had to take it off. I don't bother with a car cover anymore. I have a silver car. When I had a blue car and red car I used them.
Old 05-15-06, 11:13 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading all the posts for the second time, I'm just gonna do without the cover. I'm worried about the dust scratching the paint. I'm not going to have the luxury to dust it off everyday before I put on the cover. Dusting it off and putting on the cover everyday just isn't going to work for me especially if I leave it at the train station. I'm just going to tint the windows, use a sunshade for the front and leave it at that. Hopefully my parking situation while at work will change.

Anyone know what the long term damaging effect of the sun is on a Tungsten Pearl paint?
Old 05-15-06, 01:35 PM
is350WHT
Rookie

I put my official Lexus car cover everyday at work. At least the days I drive it to work, when it's nice and no rain. It came with a bag attached to it (sewed in) and you are supposed to lock the bag in the trunk while you put the cover on the car, guess to keep people from stealing your cover.

Since I don't have this problem at work, first thing I did was scissor out the bag.

Things you should keep in mind:

a) Assuming your car is clean and smooth, the wind can easily blow the car cover out the
car while you are putting it on. Good thing to have weights available, I use my laptop bag.
Same goes for when you are taking it out.

b) So you don't have to wash it much, you'll need to "quick detail" your car of bugs and other
junk before putting on the cover. Most of the bugs will be in the bumper, side mirrors, and windshield. You don't want the cover (inside) to be dirty, might scratch the car.

c) The area touching the tires will get black (dirty). Be careful and fold accordingly.

d) You might get real close to your car when putting on / taking out the cover, make sure you aren't wearing anything that might scratch the car. No keys, buttons, rings.

Detailing the car takes about 5 minutes and putting it on carefully takes another 5 minutes.
What you get is a car that doesn't get too hot (I have a black interior) and doesn't require a full wash after just a day at work (I work near a bunch of hills and so it gets dirty real quick). Just seeing the cars around me with tree sap and bird droppings makes me glad I spend the extra time and $$$.

Someone once asked me how long I'd leave the car cover on. Told him til the end of day (after work). Never crossed my mind he meant how long I would continue to use the car cover. Guess I'm slow
Old 05-15-06, 03:29 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Hey thanks for that great post. That's just the thing, I will not have 10 minutes every morning to detail and put on the cover. If it was just putting on the cover in the morning Monday to Friday, maybe I can deal with that. I can just imagine the ritual parking it at the train station, dusting it off while people walk by, then covering it. They might think I'm nuts. I realize it's a small price to pay to have a clean car. Also, it will still be hot inside when it's 90 deg outside, even with the cover on. That's why I'll just tint it and use a sunshade. I'll wash it on weekends. This is one of the reasons why I chose a silver car.
Old 05-15-06, 03:30 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

I was quoted 239 from my lexus dealer for the cover...is that a good price?
Old 10-05-06, 08:11 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default My car covers.. How about yours?

Not everyone has a garage so a car cover is the next best thing to keep your car clean> I have only seen a few threads with pictures of there 2IS car cover, and never seen any CAli. Car Cover with the reflective bars like mine. Any one else have a nice car cover that they would like to show. If so please post.
Thanks Jon
Attached Thumbnails The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)-bulb.jpg  
Old 10-05-06, 08:16 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default One more pic of my Cali Car Cover

Here is a cool picture of it in the dark with my new Canon PowerShot 540 6.0
Attached Thumbnails The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)-bulb.jpg  
Old 10-05-06, 08:18 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how much for the car cover?
Old 10-05-06, 08:31 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default Cost$$$

IT was pretty expensive. Something around 200 = 50$$ for the reflective band and another 40 for shipping. But def. worth every penny.
Jon
Old 10-05-06, 09:01 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

great but what is the point to have reflective band on a car cover?
Old 10-05-06, 09:28 PM
caseyb83
Driver

Originally Posted by ISbb
great but what is the point to have reflective band on a car cover?
ummmm, so people wont hit it in the dark, duh
Old 10-05-06, 10:29 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

YOU ARE GETTING UNWANTED ATTENTIONS!

It sure looks good but that UFO style cover definitely gets my attention to approach and try to smell out the alien beneath it.

I agree it would be a good toy if using it in a private garage, but I don't think the idea would fly to use it in public.

My opinion only!
Old 10-05-06, 10:51 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it except for the huge advertisement printed on the front. Do the sides and back have them too? The reflective stripes are a good idea, but I dunno about the big ol' banner printed on it. If they have to put their name on it, it should be something a little less conspicuous, IMO. I'm surprised that big phone number doesn't light up in the dark as well....lol
Old 10-05-06, 11:09 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow for that price iw ould have went OEM.
Old 10-06-06, 04:51 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used this basic cover for 5 years. The reflective stripes are a new idea.

California car cover has a great warranty, if you have any problems with it.

Using it daily, you just need to dust the vehicle and touch up with detailer.

Enjoy ...

Quick Reply: The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)