IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 04:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Q: If the NAV thinks the car is stopped, thus allowing you to use the touchscreen. Does the NAV get confused as to your actual position and have to "catch up" at some point?

Q: Why would you want to watch DVD while driving? Are you aware that:
1. It is illegal
2. You (or your parents if under 18) are assuming a great deal of liability. Doesn't matter to me,, but watching a DVD, in front of the driver seems terribly irresponsible.
Jlin101 said it. It's not like i'm driving down the street watching a movie staring at the screen. It is good for my passengers to watch while I do the driving or when I come to a stop I can look down and keep myself busy during a long light or something. Also, it is no different than looking down at your map while you are driving either.
Old 12-31-05, 06:56 PM
Soda
Pole Position

So what does the override thing do?? I got the menu to come up but I press override and my letters and things still go away when I start moving. Is it only for one feature or do you need the wires cut?

missi
Old 12-31-05, 07:15 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
If you are refering to the silver trim pieces, no, they just slide right out. But the air vents were a little bit of a pain to pull out. But they are very forgiving.
was it difficult to release the 4 clips holding the vent, or was it difficult to pry the vent out after the tabs had been released?
Old 12-31-05, 07:38 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Well.. here in CA...

Yes, I use my cellphone while driving, handsfree with the phone in the glove box.
Yes, I use my NAV while driving, my primary vehicle allows me to do so without resorting to cutting wires and potentially voiding warranties.
Yes, on occasion I speed. If I get a ticket, it's my problem. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years..

The only place a DVD should be playing is in the backseat, in view of the passengers there.
You are lucky that your primary vehicle lets you use NAV while driving without a hack, although the hazard associated with using NAV in motion is no different whether a wire had to be cut or not. I am sure those who resort to hardware modification realize that it may void the warranty--it's a risk they take, just as countless pc users overclock their CPU/video card as soon as their new hardware arrives (the cost is different, but the principle is the same).
I personally would not play a movie while driving and hope I don't run into someone who does irresponsibly--but I also hate seeing people who chug along below the speed limit while on the cell phone (even if it's legal). I remember a while back people also argued that listening loud music (esp rock) while driving was a safety hazard. That being said, I will try the mod--just because I am one of those poeple who like to tweak/mod/fiddle their toys.
Old 12-31-05, 08:26 PM
Reach
Driver School Candidate

Default What exactly does this mod enable?

...back to the topic at hand...

What functionality does this mod enable? I have a deposit on a 250 AWD which I hope to take delivery of sometime between Thursday and the end of the world (or whenever it gets here). Does this enable you to punch in new addresses for the nav system while driving? Switch stored points to drive to? I am familiar with the lockout on the GX nav system a family member has, which I assume to be similar to what happens on this IS.

If someone who has done this could give a little more insight, I'd be greatful. I did not get the ML package so DVD playback isn't my concern, just navigation and phone use. Thank you.
Old 12-31-05, 10:59 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reach
...back to the topic at hand...

What functionality does this mod enable? I have a deposit on a 250 AWD which I hope to take delivery of sometime between Thursday and the end of the world (or whenever it gets here). Does this enable you to punch in new addresses for the nav system while driving? Switch stored points to drive to? I am familiar with the lockout on the GX nav system a family member has, which I assume to be similar to what happens on this IS.

If someone who has done this could give a little more insight, I'd be greatful. I did not get the ML package so DVD playback isn't my concern, just navigation and phone use. Thank you.
To enter addresses while driving, you don't have to cut or splice any wires. You can select the overide button by going into the volume menu then:
touching the top left corner
bottom left corner
top left corner
bottom left corner

then hold the override button for 5 seconds.

The reason for the wore cutting is so that you can use all of the other functions of the nav system while you are moving. For example: dial a phone number, look at folders or song titles on your cd's and stuff like that.
Old 12-31-05, 11:00 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
was it difficult to release the 4 clips holding the vent, or was it difficult to pry the vent out after the tabs had been released?
The tabs are very simple to click down. Actually taking the vents out took a little bit of muscle.
Old 01-01-06, 10:08 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason for the wore cutting is so that you can use all of the other functions of the nav system while you are moving. For example: dial a phone number, look at folders or song titles on your cd's and stuff like that.
^^^So if you are not interested in this but the only piece you are interested in is passengers watching DVDs while moving, do you still need to cut?

I'm not planning on this mod right now, waiting to see if there are alternatives....I'm satisfied with entering destinations on the move (if required) by simply using the touch screen mod. I know if I'm going to use my Nav heavily that day so it's easy to touch the screen 5 to 10 times that day on startup.
Old 01-01-06, 10:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
^^^So if you are not interested in this but the only piece you are interested in is passengers watching DVDs while moving, do you still need to cut?

I'm not planning on this mod right now, waiting to see if there are alternatives....I'm satisfied with entering destinations on the move (if required) by simply using the touch screen mod. I know if I'm going to use my Nav heavily that day so it's easy to touch the screen 5 to 10 times that day on startup.
I think the NAV/HU doesn't display movie unless it thinks 1. E-brake is on, and 2. speed is 0; so bypassing the speed sensor wire is required.
I am more interested in being able to access MP3 folder/file lists on the move.
Old 01-01-06, 10:25 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

The tabs are very simple to click down. Actually taking the vents out took a little bit of muscle.
would a flat screwdriver (with the blade protected) do the job or do you need some kind of "plastic tool" mentioned in the original thread? Thanks.
Old 01-01-06, 12:42 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlin101
would a flat screwdriver (with the blade protected) do the job or do you need some kind of "plastic tool" mentioned in the original thread? Thanks.

Yes a screwdriver will work, in fact on one of the times I removed the unit I used one. Just be cautious, like I said in the 1st threads the dash is very forgiving....but Im sure you dont want a permanent scar on the car....
I think Ive had my unit out 4-5 times and I have done no damage at all...
Old 01-01-06, 12:47 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele

To watch DVD's while you are moving, you need to do this wire cutting mod.
Old 01-02-06, 05:21 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Will this void my warrenty? I am about to ask my Lexus dealership if they would do it and I pay! I have no idea what the hell a J50 and P1 is, etc. Might have to wait on someone with more pictures of closeups of the wire that needs cut, etc.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-02-06, 05:25 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrudley
Will this void my warrenty? I am about to ask my Lexus dealership if they would do it and I pay! I have no idea what the hell a P50 and P1 is, etc. Might have to wait on someone with more pictures of closeups of the wire that needs cut, etc.

Thanks,

Jim
If you go back to the first page of this thread, you have all the pictures you need there. Once you pull out your nav unit, you will understand. There is on wire you need to ground, and two wires you need to cut and splice together, it's actually really simple.
Old 01-02-06, 05:46 PM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you have all the pictures you need there. Once you pull out your nav unit, you will understand. There is on wire you need to ground, and two wires you need to cut and splice together, it's actually really simple.

Does this affect my warrenty?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving