Dealer installed paint and leather protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 05:37 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed paint and leather protection

Is it worth getting?

My car is due to arrive at the dealership next week. They have offered their paint and leather protection for like $700. Is it worth it?
Old 12-13-05, 05:43 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

They didn't even offer that to me.... must not be that important.
Old 12-13-05, 05:59 PM
Dr C
Driver

If by paint and leather protection you mean that they are going to wax it and put on some Armorall, it's not worth it. You can do it yourself for a LOT less money. That's a pretty typical dealer perk that generates revenue for the dealership.

If, however, they are talking about the clear bra material that is applied over the paint on the entire front end of the car, that price sounds a little high.

I suspect that it's the former - a decent wax job.
Old 12-13-05, 06:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it or something like it (but it was a little less than $700).

And it included a "warranty", not just a job.

You gotta get something to protect a black car, even if you are willing to put a lot of hard work and muscle in keeping it clean.
Old 12-13-05, 06:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Definately not worth it, it's a rip-off for extra profit, I won't get it for even $50.
Old 12-13-05, 06:07 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

They didn't even offer me that option when I got the car. I would go spend about $30 on some good wax and leather cleaner and do it yourself.
Old 12-13-05, 07:13 PM
emissivity

If it cost around $30-50 then its worth it. Anything higher than that, is a rip-off.
Old 12-13-05, 07:22 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

All - Thanks

Ken Steele - Yes is does include a warranty. It appears to be similar to what you got .

I am undecided. both on the paint protection and gettting clear bra. Need to make up my mind soon. Car comes in next week.
Old 12-13-05, 08:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

A lot of people here don't understand the warranty part. Rightly so they don't feel >$100 for a wax job is a good idea. And neither do I.

But then again, neither do I fully understand the warranty piece. But I will when and if my paint starts to have a problem.

Like I said....

You can work your a** off trying to keep your car cleaned and shined and waxed but I promise you we will start seeing these "my paint sux" threads starting next Spring and people will want to take their car back to have it looked at, front end, chips, bugs, etc.

Guaranteed.

Let me go re-read what I bought.....
Old 12-13-05, 08:23 PM
United #10
Pole Position

I paid for the dealer to do this job. I think it's worth it. At least I don't have to wax the car every 6 months. Also the dealer will re-apply the paintguard every 2 years. No extra charge!!!
Old 12-13-05, 08:34 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
A lot of people here don't understand the warranty part. Rightly so they don't feel >$100 for a wax job is a good idea. And neither do I.

But then again, neither do I fully understand the warranty piece. But I will when and if my paint starts to have a problem.

Like I said....

You can work your a** off trying to keep your car cleaned and shined and waxed but I promise you we will start seeing these "my paint sux" threads starting next Spring and people will want to take their car back to have it looked at, front end, chips, bugs, etc.

Guaranteed.

Let me go re-read what I bought.....
I'm curious how this warranty differs from the basic warranty that should cover paint defects? I doubt if the additional warranty would cover any damage due to rocks or sand. I just got the clear bra installed yesterday. Overall, it looks great...a couple minor bubbles on the edge which are suppose to cure out in the next day or so....the jury is still out.....
Old 12-13-05, 11:47 PM
pwndzzled
Rookie

May depend on the color. I've had a black/black IS 350 for around two weeks and I can say that it may be worth it after seeing what a crappy paint surface it has by default. I had a black 325xi before, and its paint was WAY more durable than the lexus'. I'm actually quite annoyed about it. I'd expect any luxury car to have a sealant on the car when purchased... a definite shortcoming vs. the BMW.

BTW, It's not just a wax job, it's a sealant... big difference. I believe it is around $600+.
Old 12-14-05, 12:15 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I would definately get it. I have gotten it before and it helps. Paint is waterbased and will oxidize over the years, leather will dry out and start to crack. You never have to wax because the coating is permament. The floor mats come out looking cleaner after shampooing because of it.
It protects against bird crap and sap if you happen to park under a tree and that stuff will eat right through the paint if not washed right away. It even helps guard against very light scratches, especially on a black car and maintains shine. It helps repel water spots and those are a pain in the **** to get out. It should come with a 5 year warranty. I think It's worth it.
I'm lazy and messy so I don't want to wash my own car nor do I spend every week at car wash. I park my car outdoors and I eat inside my car and have a light interior.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 12-14-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 05:19 AM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by Scooter24
Is it worth getting?

My car is due to arrive at the dealership next week. They have offered their paint and leather protection for like $700. Is it worth it?
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Try this thread...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/
You will learn all you need to know. I used Klasse AIO and PoorBoys EX-P on the exterior with Zaino Z10 for the leather. Bought some micro fiber towels and spent about an 1.5 hours for results that I doubt any dealer will give you. In addition, I waxed my wheels as well.
Old 12-14-05, 08:53 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter24
Is it worth getting?

Rip-off.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car6.htm

Don't buy the Fabric Protection!
Can you say ScotchGuardTM? Go to Costco, buy 2 cans for $5 and do it yourself, then you know it was done. I have a hard time figuring their pricing out. In Florida gouging is illegal. After Hurricane Andrew, they arrested people for selling 79 cent bags of ice for $5. So why don't they arrest dealers for selling $5 worth of fabric spray for $300?

Don't buy the paint protection!
Don't waste your money on this junk. My friend who worked at a Chevy dealer said it comes in a $5 bottle. It's just wax, and they make promises about it lasting for years. NO car wax lasts for years. Read the warranty book for "Autoarmor", it says the warranty is void if you don't wash & wax on a regular basis. The salesman tells you it lasts 2 years or more without waxing. It's amazing how gullible Americans are, tell them what they want to hear, and they'll believe it.

Quick Reply: Dealer installed paint and leather protection