IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 10:33 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room

What a joke! What were they thinking when they design this car?
Just Horsepower??

There is no leg room in the back. Car feels cramped...The GS is much, much roomier plus very comfortable!!
Old 10-31-05, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i was going to hold my judgement until i really see the car, but i am not surprised. the IS is kinda on the small side after all, just like 3 and c.

imho this is definitely not a car to get if you have rear passengers
Old 10-31-05, 10:56 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i was going to hold my judgement until i really see the car, but i am not surprised. the IS is kinda on the small side after all, just like 3 and c.

imho this is definitely not a car to get if you have rear passengers
Rominl,

Even for a single person (driver seat)...it is not comfortable!!! The driver seat is tight. Not much room!

What was Suguya Fukusato thinking?? Too much "sake" I guess.....
Old 10-31-05, 11:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGOLD
Just Horsepower??

There is no leg room in the back. Car feels cramped...The GS is much, much roomier plus very comfortable!!
The car feels cramped because it was designed to be small from the get go. If you want something larger, the ES and GS suffice. It's only obvious the GS is much more roomier...it's a naturally larger car to begin with.
Old 10-31-05, 11:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It is a sport sedan with performance and handling a much higher priority than the GS. At the Lexus launch party, myself (5'10") and another guy (6'2) sat in the back seat simultaneously and were totally comfortable. Sure, it gives a sense of smallish interior with a low roof line, but that is not necessarily a bad thing since it enhances the sporty feel of the car with compactness.
Old 10-31-05, 11:37 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think for anyone taller than 5'6" or on the larger side the rear seat room might be a problem. For me, I'm 5'4" and once I got the drivers seat set to my liking I sat in the back and I had enough room, but not much. I'm about 135 or so lbs. Even for my size the leg room on only okay. I can see how larer and taller people will definately have a hard time getting comfortable in the back seat. Anyway, like it was mentioned before, this IS wasn't meat to be a family sedan so I wasn't expecting too much room to begin with.
Old 11-01-05, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Just Horsepower??

No offense but technically speaking, anycar not a Maybach, fells cramped. Its a backseat, its not the FRONT seat.

I swear, i don't know what some people expect. Its not great, but it not bad
Old 11-01-05, 07:14 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The G35 Coupe takes the cake for the worst back seat. I'm 5'10 (not very big framed, either) and an unexpected hard bump or pothole would put my head through the back windshield

Like the G35 Coupe though, the car wasn't really designed to be a functional family vehicle. The IS350 has the 2 rear doors and the back seat most likely for insurance purposes. No other car in its class really has a lot of space back there either.
Old 11-01-05, 07:56 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

But the question is (for those that have seen both) is the new IS smaller, larger or about the same in the back seat leg room department compared to the E90 it's contender?
Old 11-01-05, 07:59 AM
GIT
6th Gear

Hmm, I have two young daughters (2 months and 2 years) that need to fit in the back seat of a car in order for me to even consider it. I'm planning a test drive this weekend and I'm definitely going to do a carseat test.

Maybe I should see if the carseats fit before I drive it just in case it's a great drive that I can't have.
Old 11-01-05, 08:01 AM
IS 250 FAN
Rookie

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
But the question is (for those that have seen both) is the new IS smaller, larger or about the same in the back seat leg room department compared to the E90 it's contender?
honestly my friend and i went to test drive both cars because i was wondering which to get. I sat in the back while he was driving and visa versa in both cars. The IS IMO had more leg room.
Old 11-01-05, 08:01 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

When I took my test drive, I set the driver's seat to make myself comfortable and then climbed into the backseat directly behind.

I'm only 5'9" and I felt quite cramped in the back. The main problem was that you can't get your feet under the front seats, which made the tight quarters feel even worse.

It's not horrible, but I'm also not going to be volunteering to drive when I'm with a group of friends, and that stinks.
Old 11-01-05, 08:22 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
I'm only 5'9" and I felt quite cramped in the back. The main problem was that you can't get your feet under the front seats, which made the tight quarters feel even worse.

Are you talking about the IS or the E90? I hate when your in the back and can't get your shoes under the rear seat, I totally agree it makes the cramped feeling 100 X worse. It's like that in the E46.
Old 11-01-05, 08:29 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Just Horsepower??

This is why I had to give up my '02 IS300 for the GX, my kids were getting bigger and there just wasn't enough room. In retrospect though I should have never bought the car in the first place, I don't think it was ever designed to function as a full time 4 passenger vehicle. I want to get another IS but it will be a third vehicle to have some fun in cause I can't give up my truck or the GX!
Old 11-01-05, 08:34 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

new pic of rear leg room, looks to me like there is room for your feet under the seat. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room