IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Running over debris on the highway...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 03:07 PM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running over debris on the highway...

Do you guys slow down or swerve to avoid running over debris? I'm not talking about a couch or a spike strip in your lane, but things like plastic bottles, flattened card board boxes?

Today, I saw about 100feet in front an empty plastic water bottle rolling into my lane. Instead of slowing down, lol, I hit the gas and tromped over that plastic bottle. Normally on a car, the thing is flattened, but since the IS is lowered, when I viewed it in my rear view window (and the noise of demolishing it), the plastic was completed destroyed with it being into 3 seperate pieces.

So, what do you do?
Old 08-29-03, 03:29 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to avoid everything at all costs. It's bad enough to deal with rock chips but flying debris and crap all over the freeway is too much on the car. I have always had bad luck so knowing that, if i would have ran over the plastic bottle, it probably would have flipped up and cracked my windshield....hehe
Old 08-29-03, 03:34 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I'll swerve to avoid everything I can, sometime you never know where that plastic bottle could end up, better safe than sorry for me.
Old 08-29-03, 04:20 PM
UncleNick
Pole Position

Avoid everything and anything I can. Repairs and body work is way toooooo costly!
Old 08-29-03, 04:28 PM
Static911

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
I try to avoid everything at all costs. It's bad enough to deal with rock chips but flying debris and crap all over the freeway is too much on the car. I have always had bad luck so knowing that, if i would have ran over the plastic bottle, it probably would have flipped up and cracked my windshield....hehe
I can't personally vouch for the feeling, but my friend knows exactly how you feel. His worst luck came when he got into 3-4 accidents in a matter months. Now, months isn't that bad, but it sucks for your car to be in a shop for ADDITIONAL repairs AFTER you fixed it for a prior accident.

I saw that bottle and yet I said screw it, run over it. I could hear the bottle being demolished under my car. lol. It was kinda funny.
Old 08-29-03, 08:56 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

E I swerve to save my Body kit and my front bumper.
Old 08-29-03, 09:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I only fear guard rails and telephone poles
Old 08-30-03, 04:32 AM
B-Lexusfan
Rookie

I swerve at all costs.

In fact I know of all manholes in the road on my way to work and manuever the car to avoid those on the way to work everyday.

Recently I had a piece of tire blindside my front right side bumber and leave a deep 4 inch gash. Pisses me off to no end everytime I look at it while detailing the car. Then again there was nothing I could do about it..... that's the risk you take everytime you jump on a highway/freeway.
Old 08-30-03, 04:42 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

If it can fit under the car, let it do so. If it wont, just smoothly move out of the way...

And the word swirve just makes me think, loose control via overcorrecting, or smacking into something.
Old 08-30-03, 12:43 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Default Re: Running over debris on the highway...

Originally posted by Static911
Do you guys slow down or swerve to avoid running over debris? I'm not talking about a couch or a spike strip in your lane, but things like plastic bottles, flattened card board boxes?

Today, I saw about 100feet in front an empty plastic water bottle rolling into my lane. Instead of slowing down, lol, I hit the gas and tromped over that plastic bottle. Normally on a car, the thing is flattened, but since the IS is lowered, when I viewed it in my rear view window (and the noise of demolishing it), the plastic was completed destroyed with it being into 3 seperate pieces.

So, what do you do?

Yes definately AVOID ANYTHING on the highway! You never know what is inside or underneath the item.

Be careful
Old 09-01-03, 07:43 PM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

I go around it if possible unless I have no other choice. Like the others...better safe then sorry!
Old 09-02-03, 02:05 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Running over debris on the highway...

Originally posted by Static911

So, what do you do?
LOL, Ethan, you crazy dude!!
I also try to aviod stuff in front of me.
Old 09-02-03, 02:15 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I'll swerve to avoid everything I can, sometime you never know where that plastic bottle could end up, better safe than sorry for me.
Same here.
Old 09-02-03, 11:41 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have had the worst luck yet, I was driving to school on the 118 and on one portion of the freeway it becomes a 2 lane highway, and so I am crusing and about 75-80 when I see the truck in front of me run over some road kill and this thing was huge like a deer or a dog or something. In the split second I had to react I saw that if I swerved to the left I would go down the sloped dirt median which would most likely caused me to lost control and crashed, or I could have pulled a fast and furious and went under the 18 wheeler besides me. So I just clenched the steering wheel and just ran it over, I could have sworn that I messed up something under my car but thankfully my car came out un-touched, but the car did smell a bit funny when I got to school. But that was by far the worst thing I have ran over and I hope I never have to do it again.

Tommy
Old 09-06-03, 09:00 AM
VP500
Driver School Candidate

I hate it when truckers drive uncarefully and switch lanes and the **** on the truck flies.

Quick Reply: Running over debris on the highway...