IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2jz-gte vs SRT stage 4

Old 08-28-03, 05:31 AM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte vs SRT stage 4

If you had the chance to choose one of the following: 2jz-gte or SRT stage 4 for your IS300 which one would you pick and why?

IS300 proving that you can't have too much of a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails 2jz-gte vs SRT stage 4-lexus300.jpg  
Old 08-28-03, 02:41 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would go for the GTE swap.
Why.....hmmmmmmm, don't know really.
Old 08-28-03, 07:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

GTE because it's factory issued boost.
Old 08-28-03, 08:30 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

I think it would be sweet to have a GTE and keep everything looking factory spec, tell a bunch of pimply faced high school boys you had it shipped from japan like that
Old 08-29-03, 02:40 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

GTE swap... for many reason... upgradability...cost of single turbo kits.. proven setups and cost..better head..throttle body flow..
Old 08-29-03, 05:54 PM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

Post ?

I wonder what is the cost difference between the 2jz-gte or SRT stage 4 and the time frame for installation and which one would cost more to up keep?

Old 08-29-03, 08:53 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ?

Originally posted by ISLEXUS300
I wonder what is the cost difference between the 2jz-gte or SRT stage 4 and the time frame for installation and which one would cost more to up keep?

well if you did a little bit of research (no harm intended) you would find that a full GTE swap would be around 15-20k which is the same as a SRT stage 4 20k...but the upkeep you speak of would be the same on both since they are both Turbo motors...

The GTE swap is the BETTER way to go..trust me..this is my 3rd Forced Induction Kit on my IS300 1 SuperCharger//2 Turbo Kits..
Old 08-29-03, 11:18 PM
tek2k
Driver School Candidate

ISLEXUS300, you can put that in your signature. you don't have to keep attaching the picture with your own quote.
Old 08-30-03, 10:15 AM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

Unhappy Help

How?????? I've been trying to figure it out and I know you can have a sig. but how do you attach the banner? Help me!!! Thanks
Old 08-31-03, 06:09 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I would go for the 2jz-gte swap. These engines are known for its reliability/sturdiness.

Although on paper the IS300 engine looks very similar to the Aristo Twin Turbo engine, they are very much different. The Aristo Twin Turbo engine internals have been redesigned and are strengthed to cope with very high power.

Alex
Old 08-31-03, 08:58 PM
G2FAST
Lead Lap

Talking Sweet

I found a picture of a gte swap in the is300 photo gallery, CLEAN!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...ort=1&thecat=2
Old 09-03-03, 05:50 AM
isman
Pole Position

Well, it does have it's ups & downs. Depends on what your looking for specifically. If your looking for just ample power (approx.400-500whp?), then the GTE swap is nice. If your looking for something outrageous in the 850-1,000whp, then for the IS (and this applies only on the IS), the SRT Stage 4 will be better. As for the cost factor, the GTE swap is more (engine, clutch, flywheel, tranny, drive shaft, rear) Can't just pop in the GTE and expect rest of the stock car to work. Now, I know you guys are wondering why I said the GTE swap is good for approx. 400-500whp (maybe just a bit more) but only applies to the IS? Well, it's about space. The IS300 engine bay is tight as is, and then it gets tighter with the bigger GTE swap. Now imagine a big HKS Twin set up or a big single turbo set up? I don't think so, no space. You can do this in any other car such as SC, GS, and obviously Supra, but not the IS300. So the 400-500+whp is for a bpu++ (maybe one more +) on the stock TTs for the GTE. I know this because I've considered both options first hand. But bottom line is basically what YOU want. If peeps are happy with bpu+++ power from the GTE swap and still spend about the same amount of $$ as a SRT Stage 4 cause they want factory oem look, then that's the way to go, it's YOUR preference. Oh, you might be able to do a APU on the GTE if you modifiy the manifold and position the turbo higher and modify the hood to accomodate for the turbo, but then that wouldn't be oem looking will it . I would luv to see a GTE swap with all the TT goodies (tranny, rear, driveshaft, flywheel/clutch) that is producing some sick power like the Supra guys do on the IS300, but then again, you no longer have an IS300 but more of a Supra-IS
Old 09-03-03, 07:36 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

ISMAN, there is a member on this site (blownis200) that is having a GTE swap done.
They have testfitted both a big single HKS and big twins. They both seem to fit fine.
Old 09-03-03, 09:24 AM
isman
Pole Position

Originally posted by Richie
ISMAN, there is a member on this site (blownis200) that is having a GTE swap done.
They have testfitted both a big single HKS and big twins. They both seem to fit fine.
I am well aware of his project and progress, but my statement above still applies. The European IS200 has been totally stripped and custom engine mounts fabbed, and the tranny, drive shaft, and the rear and other suspension parts. Do you think all this work and parts will be less than SRT Stage 4 system? In any case, I still don't know the exact specs on blownis200's turbo specs. Sincerely, I hope he's able to put in a nice big HKS system to make some sick 750+whp power, but nothing has been confirmed.
Old 09-03-03, 12:31 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by isman
I am well aware of his project and progress, but my statement above still applies. The European IS200 has been totally stripped and custom engine mounts fabbed, and the tranny, drive shaft, and the rear and other suspension parts. Do you think all this work and parts will be less than SRT Stage 4 system? In any case, I still don't know the exact specs on blownis200's turbo specs. Sincerely, I hope he's able to put in a nice big HKS system to make some sick 750+whp power, but nothing has been confirmed.
No, I think his project would be much more expensive then an "add on" turbo kit for the GE.
His car is going to be very nice though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jz-gte vs SRT stage 4