IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Sanding/Painting chipped bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 11:29 PM
714is300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Sanding/Painting chipped bumper

Hey Lexus fans, as the title of the post reads, I need advice on DIY project to sand and spray paint my chipped bumper. I've watched many videos on Youtube and although I'm aware i cannot mimic the even spray of a machine, I believe I can achieve close enough outcome with just my hands and a spray can. My is300 is Graphite Gray Pearl so the only brand I found that carries that Toyota finish is from Duplicolor spray can. Rust-oleum does not make the Toyota Graphite Gray Pearl in spray can form.
Here are the steps I have taken notes for so far. Please give me your advises and caveats.

1st) step after washing with dish detergent is to sand it down. My bumper has the factory paint on it but is badly pitted from debris. Now what level grit should i start with? 320? a little higher? (I will be using 1200 grit towards last step after clear coating)
*I have a drill so I'm either thinking of getting a buffer pad or just get a hand-held pad for the sand paper

2nd) after wiping with rubbing alcohol (an option over paint thinner) i will let it dry and add 3 layers of paint. 1st layer just slightly then subsequently more gradually and thoroughly. I will let the paint dry for about 2-4 days.

3rd) After it has dried in few days I am going to spray clear coat on it. Now should I add just 1 layer of clear coat or do 3 steps/layers like the paint? and let it dry for another 2-4 days

4th) After clear coat has dried, I am going to sand it with 1200 grit sand paper to remove the orange peel effect that is inevitable. ( Please give me details on how much I should fine out with sand paper)

5th) Polish (tips/tricks and recommendations please)

As someone who has never done this I know I will be taking chances but this is the reason why I want to do my hw and research thoroughly so I am well prepped for something new to me. I was quoted for $400 just for the bumper and both side mirrors that's all badly pitted but I rather do it myself and experience. Thanks and sorry if my question was long/confusing.

Last edited by 714is300; 02-12-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 08:25 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

It's been awhile since I needed to paint anything, but it sounds like you have thought through all the steps. Not certain how many coats of clear is needed but just want to add that it's wet sanded. Sanding will be toughest part that's for sure
Old 07-14-17, 07:43 AM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 714is300
Hey Lexus fans, as the title of the post reads, I need advice on DIY project to sand and spray paint my chipped bumper. I've watched many videos on Youtube and although I'm aware i cannot mimic the even spray of a machine, I believe I can achieve close enough outcome with just my hands and a spray can. My is300 is Graphite Gray Pearl so the only brand I found that carries that Toyota finish is from Duplicolor spray can. Rust-oleum does not make the Toyota Graphite Gray Pearl in spray can form.
Here are the steps I have taken notes for so far. Please give me your advises and caveats.

1st) step after washing with dish detergent is to sand it down. My bumper has the factory paint on it but is badly pitted from debris. Now what level grit should i start with? 320? a little higher? (I will be using 1200 grit towards last step after clear coating)
*I have a drill so I'm either thinking of getting a buffer pad or just get a hand-held pad for the sand paper

2nd) after wiping with rubbing alcohol (an option over paint thinner) i will let it dry and add 3 layers of paint. 1st layer just slightly then subsequently more gradually and thoroughly. I will let the paint dry for about 2-4 days.

3rd) After it has dried in few days I am going to spray clear coat on it. Now should I add just 1 layer of clear coat or do 3 steps/layers like the paint? and let it dry for another 2-4 days

4th) After clear coat has dried, I am going to sand it with 1200 grit sand paper to remove the orange peel effect that is inevitable. ( Please give me details on how much I should fine out with sand paper)

5th) Polish (tips/tricks and recommendations please)

As someone who has never done this I know I will be taking chances but this is the reason why I want to do my hw and research thoroughly so I am well prepped for something new to me. I was quoted for $400 just for the bumper and both side mirrors that's all badly pitted but I rather do it myself and experience. Thanks and sorry if my question was long/confusing.

tried 400 to get the clear coat film off my headlights and gave up and went with 220. I don't see how it matters how low you go for your first pass as long as you come back up gradually.
​​​​​​​also thx for the info on duplicolor graphite gray Pearl, let us know how good it matches.