IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Just bought an 04 IS300 Sport Design...pics inside

Old 02-08-17, 02:10 PM
avs20
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just bought an 04 IS300 Sport Design...pics inside

Well, I decided to pick up a daily driver so I don't put as many miles on the GS with my drive to work. 1st Gen IS' are very hard to find in somewhat OK condition..so this was quite the journey! I looked at quite a few IS', and they were all pretty beat to hell. Luckily, I stumbled across this 04 Sport Design edition in excellent shape, inside and out with only 135k miles.
Currently I'm working on getting red tail lights, and replacement headlights since the drivers side has condensation in it. I ordered floor mats as well...all of the boring stuff, but the necessary stuff in my opinion.
The car had the timing belt, water pump, rotors/pads, serpentine belt, oil change, shocks and plugs done less than 100 miles ago..so hopefully I won't have any maintenance in the immediate future!
I will be spending the next few days doing some serious paint correction on the car though....can't believe I bought a black car after saying for years I never would...
Here's the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Just bought an 04 IS300 Sport Design...pics inside-img_3958.jpg   Just bought an 04 IS300 Sport Design...pics inside-img_3959.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
IMXCITD (08-15-20)
Old 02-08-17, 06:23 PM
tonynca
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find man! The IS300 is a reliable daily. Just leave the suspension alone and enjoy the ride! It's a nice nimble car.
Old 02-10-17, 07:26 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i might have a driver side housing out of my 04. it may need to be cleaned up a bit, but no cracks or anything in it.
Old 02-14-17, 04:45 PM
MRFLY300
Driver School Candidate

How can u tell is sport design or not ..????
Old 02-14-17, 06:24 PM
avs20
Driver

It has the sport design tail lights, badges, the white leather interior, black pearl emblems, 11 spoke gunmetal rims, chrome exhaust tip. The headlights were replaced with aftermarkets at some time in its life. The taillights will be sold soon once I get replacements(I dislike clear taillights).
I didn't buy the car because it was a sport design, I bought it because it was in good condition. I looked at some real pieces of junk that people wanted way too much for..so while this one isn't perfect, I can definitely work with it to make it as close to perfect as I need it to be
Old 02-14-17, 07:42 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by avs20
It has the sport design tail lights, badges, the white leather interior, black pearl emblems, 11 spoke gunmetal rims, chrome exhaust tip. The headlights were replaced with aftermarkets at some time in its life. The taillights will be sold soon once I get replacements(I dislike clear taillights).
I didn't buy the car because it was a sport design, I bought it because it was in good condition. I looked at some real pieces of junk that people wanted way too much for..so while this one isn't perfect, I can definitely work with it to make it as close to perfect as I need it to be
Congrats! 5 speed or auto?! Mind telling how much you gave up for it?!

V.
Old 02-14-17, 08:10 PM
avs20
Driver

$7k..I bought it from a dealer so I paid more than if an individual was selling it..but it fell right in the middle of KBB's value..so not a killer deal, but not a bad deal either. The dealer did change all 4 shocks, 4 brand new tires, timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, oil, spark plugs, and filters..so that was a bargaining chip for them!
It's an auto...I haven't seen a 5 speed for sale around here my entire time of searching. This is just a daily driver, so while it would have been nice to have a 5 speed, it wasn't a deal breaker. It's been fun because it's something I can actually work on..unlike the GS that's pretty much finished(to me). I'm constantly searching for new parts to add to it so it isn't helping me save money at all, that's for sure!!
Old 02-15-17, 10:58 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

def. a reliable daily. congrats
Old 02-15-17, 12:04 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

$7k..I bought it from a dealer so I paid more than if an individual was selling it..but it fell right in the middle of KBB's value..so not a killer deal, but not a bad deal either. The dealer did change all 4 shocks, 4 brand new tires, timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, oil, spark plugs, and filters..so that was a bargaining chip for them!
It's an auto...I haven't seen a 5 speed for sale around here my entire time of searching. This is just a daily driver, so while it would have been nice to have a 5 speed, it wasn't a deal breaker. It's been fun because it's something I can actually work on..unlike the GS that's pretty much finished(to me). I'm constantly searching for new parts to add to it so it isn't helping me save money at all, that's for sure!!
Ah, OK. You actually got a STEAL OF A DEAL with all the maintenance items they replaced for free and free labor, lol. Easily saved yourself $2k there!
But you'll most definitely love the IS300. I've had my 02 for 10 years now and it is rock solid!! Mine is an 02 5 speed manual, silver with/black interior. Very rare combo and back in 06-07 when I bought it, it actually took me about a year to find one since that was exactly what I wanted.
No major hiccups on it, just reg maintenance items like spark plugs, brake pads, rotors, clutch, cats/o2 sensors. That's really it after 200,000 miles!
I've contemplated putting mine on the market for sale but Everytime I think about it, I back out, lol. So fun and reliable to drive and probably would miss it. Have people on a weekly basis trying to buy it because it's a 5sp and in good shape....2 combinations people can't find anymore with these cars.
Enjoy the IS300 bro!

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 12-28-17 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 09:46 AM
Goopi
10th Gear

Nice find, I came across a couple in TX during my hunt for a IS300. I didn't end up getting one myself, but hey the IS300 I scooped up at least came with these 11-spoke wheels too!

Hope you enjoy the new ride!
Old 11-09-17, 07:10 PM
broken9er
Driver School Candidate

Default clean car

looks great do you have pic of interior
Old 12-27-17, 10:13 PM
rbrttran
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How has the car been? I'm actually going to look at an 04 SD, in black as well tomorrow! Same mileage and all, not sure on the service history yet though. But yours looks immaculate!
Old 01-10-18, 03:51 AM
sebis300
Driver School Candidate

Congrats man,

I just got into the Lexus game with an '03 IS300 sport design.

Does yours have the full leather or partially leather seats? (Leather with a strip of cloth/felt in the middle)

You're definitely going to benefit from having all that maintenance done so recently.
Old 02-08-18, 04:31 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's an auto...I haven't seen a 5 speed for sale around here my entire time of searching
from what I understand its pretty hard to find a sportdesign in manual (since they made a lot less then the standard trim ones). Aside from mine, ive only ever seen one. It was hilarious when I bought it at the lexus dealer, the salesman told me id never see another in my lifetime.

ive talked with an east coast guy and he said the regular trim manuals are rare out where he is, so it sounds like its all regional.
Originally Posted by sebis300
Does yours have the full leather or partially leather seats? (Leather with a strip of cloth/felt in the middle)
sport designs are full leather. I believe they call it burnt ash. its more like a off white or a very light cream white.
Old 03-07-18, 12:08 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice! I recently got an '01 auto.. and i've spent about 3k in parts in under a month.. upgrades and maintenance.. so awesome getting a good one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought an 04 IS300 Sport Design...pics inside