IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

TIP: Check Engine Light for Idle Air Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 10:48 AM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIP: Check Engine Light for Idle Air Control

Just wanted to give you guys a little heads up. For the last few weeks I have been having issues with my vehicle running poorly, lower than normal idle and not running after being started. It started with a service at my local dealer (just a basic oil change and tire rotation). Pick it up, pull out of the dealer, notice that my tires are still a little damp from being freshly washed, so I pull onto a side street in an industrial area and throw it sideways (2nd gear, low speed, low revs, just for smiles). As she starts to straighten out, there is no throttle response, revs drop and she dies out. Pull over to the side and attempt to fire it off a few times and I get the same response every time. Instantly fires, revs jump up and then steadily drop off until she kills. There are no check engine lights showing. So I walk back to the dealer (just a couple blocks) let them know the issue and 2 of the techs go get her. This is the Friday before the 4th of July weekend, so they give me a loaner (15 GS F Sport, bleh) and I'm on my way.

Come back on Tuesday and I speak with the technician, and he says he apologized that he had missed marking down my air filter needed to be replaced (which was dirty) and he had replaced it for free. He says that sometimes it can interfere with the MAF sensor and can cause throttle issues. He did double check the sensor and the fuel pump just in case and they all checked out A OK. Car fired right off and purred like a kitten. I drove her for the rest of the week and everything seemed perfectly fine except that the idle seemed a little low during takeoff. It is a manual and I know the clutch is on its last breath so I just assumed it was really getting to be time and I needed to change it soon. Monday comes around, everything has been great for almost a week, and I'm sitting in the bank ATM drive thru and the CEL comes on. I'm like WTF mate? My baby is falling to bits. Did she meet another driver and wants to leave me? Back to the dealer we go. It's a little late and the techs are finishing up for the day, so its another loaner (16 RC350 F Sport, double BLEH!) and I'm on my way.

Stop in on Tuesday to check on her, and the tech and the advisor tell me that there is bad news. Idle Air Control Valve is bad, and the whole throttle body assembly needs to be replaced to fix it. Ugh! The part costs roughly $1300 and with labor its going to be about a $2k job when its all said and done. UGGHHHH!!!!! Then they both smile. Apparently Lexus knows that this item is faulty, and have extended the warranty on this part, so it was all covered! All of it!! Everything!!! My 13 year old 118,000 mile Lexus had a part malfunction to the tune of over $2000 and they did not ask me for a penny!!!!!!!!!! I came here to post this because I was told that there is something like 30 days left on this warranty extension. If any of you are having this issue, get your car to the dealer now.

TL;DR

CEL for Idle Air Control Valve
$2k in parts and labor, that Lexus ate the bill for
Part #22030-46220
CSP ELL ELSTHB-8A/73
You have roughly 30 days until this warranty extension runs out
This is why I bought an IS300 and not an E36 M3