IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2001 Lexus IS300 Not starting. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 08:31 PM
is300jcs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Lexus IS300 Not starting. Help please

Hello IS community, this is my first post but have read plenty on the site. I recently ran into a issue that i'd like some input. I have a few things already in mind of what the problem might be but other opinions are nice.

The other day I went out and started my car it seemed a little rough and i felt vibrations. Knew something was up, decided not to drive my is. Before leaving in my other car tried starting it again this time no luck. It cranks all the way and sounds like it wants to start but wont.

Later in the day I decide to give it a jump and see if the battery was possibly a problem. I didn't leave it hooked up very long a few minutes got it to start again but car sounded sick when reving it. I went ahead and attempted to drive it around the block. It would gain and loose power on my way back around it completely died again.

Since then i changed battery to a for sure working one, changed spark plugs and replaced value gaskets. I have had an oil leak for a while now so when changing spark plugs did notice oil on them.

I have at least half a tank of gas, always use premium. Oil was changed not too long ago. Its an auto with 180K. I drive it on average less than 25 miles a day.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-03-16, 07:22 AM
RBabros
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Originally Posted by is300jcs
Hello IS community, this is my first post but have read plenty on the site. I recently ran into a issue that i'd like some input. I have a few things already in mind of what the problem might be but other opinions are nice.

The other day I went out and started my car it seemed a little rough and i felt vibrations. Knew something was up, decided not to drive my is. Before leaving in my other car tried starting it again this time no luck. It cranks all the way and sounds like it wants to start but wont.

Later in the day I decide to give it a jump and see if the battery was possibly a problem. I didn't leave it hooked up very long a few minutes got it to start again but car sounded sick when reving it. I went ahead and attempted to drive it around the block. It would gain and loose power on my way back around it completely died again.

Since then i changed battery to a for sure working one, changed spark plugs and replaced value gaskets. I have had an oil leak for a while now so when changing spark plugs did notice oil on them.

I have at least half a tank of gas, always use premium. Oil was changed not too long ago. Its an auto with 180K. I drive it on average less than 25 miles a day.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Have you pulled any codes? What codes do you have? 180k is past due for the second timing belt (required every 80k I believe). My car is overdue on a timing belt at 170k and I noticed that the belt and the ribs(teeth part of the belt) are separating. From what I understand, these things go out pretty soon after they ask to be replaced by the Lexus/Toyota maintenance schedule.

I would check the timing until you get a hold of a scan tool and check codes. I just had a misfire issue last week, so let me know what codes you get and if your timing is good.

-Ryan
Old 06-03-16, 07:47 AM
is300jcs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RBabros
Have you pulled any codes? What codes do you have? 180k is past due for the second timing belt (required every 80k I believe). My car is overdue on a timing belt at 170k and I noticed that the belt and the ribs(teeth part of the belt) are separating. From what I understand, these things go out pretty soon after they ask to be replaced by the Lexus/Toyota maintenance schedule.

I would check the timing until you get a hold of a scan tool and check codes. I just had a misfire issue last week, so let me know what codes you get and if your timing is good.

-Ryan

Thanks for your response.
I'm going to try and check codes once I get my hands on a reader. Timing and water pump replaced at 110k. Belt looks fine should have more life in it. I'll post codes once I'm able to check.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-16, 08:01 AM
RBabros
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is300jcs
Thanks for your response.
I'm going to try and check codes once I get my hands on a reader. Timing and water pump replaced at 110k. Belt looks fine should have more life in it. I'll post codes once I'm able to check.

Thanks again.
Okay, that timing belt replacement speaks volumes and narrows it down quite a bit. I would still check the timing though unless you know what components were used to perform the job and/or who did the job. There are a lot of cheap hydraulic tensioners out there that can go out prematurely.

Let me know what codes you get!
Old 06-04-16, 07:14 AM
is300jcs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RBabros
Okay, that timing belt replacement speaks volumes and narrows it down quite a bit. I would still check the timing though unless you know what components were used to perform the job and/or who did the job. There are a lot of cheap hydraulic tensioners out there that can go out prematurely.

Let me know what codes you get!

So if there were any codes they were wiped when I swapped batteries. I forgot all about that. My friend who's a mechanic also believed it might be the timing belt but when he checked it out he said it was fine. He has his money on the igniter module bring bad or the crank sensor. That's where I'm at currently. I'm going to try another friends igniter module before I buy one so I'm not out any money I don't need to be. I'll give you an update if or when something changes.
Old 07-30-16, 09:11 AM
ISKorey
Driver School Candidate

my guess is Igniter Module or MAF is bad. Any updates?