IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Battery Charging Problems... PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 10:24 PM
apdanger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging Problems... PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone! New to the forums, sorry if this is in the wrong place, not quite sure how to navigate the site very well yet.

Okay so my battery light is on... I know there are multiple threads for this but I have followed most everything I have seen and it's still giving me problems. I don't know much history about the car but as far as electronics go it was wired for subs at one point and has an o2 sensor delete installed, not sure if this matters.
The light has been on since I got the car and has gone away and come back seemingly at random with my checking a few things here and there. I replaced the battery, it went away.. came back the next day. I cleaned off the negative battery ground to the block and took out the alternator and had it bench tested (it was good), it went away for about a week. Came back on, I cleaned the ground under the battery tray and it went away but came back later that day. Cleaned off ground on alternator, went away for a day or two. Came back of course. It then randomly went off but as soon as I drove about 30 minutes it came back on, but would go away when I got on the gas... I had to drive 45 mins to get home and it would go off and start charging when I got past 5k, but now even past that it stays on.
The only other thing that happened was I (being dumb) arched the alternator and blew the alternator fuse but when I replaced it the light went away.
I tested for continuity to the block using the multi-meter on ohms and it was fine.

Really stuck and have no idea what it could be... Could the alternator have gone bad? Like I said it was just tested about 2 weeks ago and they said it was fine. Or I killed it when I arched it even though it still charges sometimes?

Any help is much appreciated!!!
Old 05-21-16, 02:36 PM
apdanger
Driver School Candidate

Anyone...? Trying to get it fixed this weekend.
Old 05-21-16, 09:26 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If no check engine lights is on and the car drives fine, battery still charging. I say take out the gauge and remove the battery bulb.

Check the fuse again. Get a fuse tester and double check each one. I had something similar but with the dome lights. I crossed some wire by accident after yanking stuff out of the trunk. Checked the fuse with a fuse tester and each one I touch lite up just fine. Then I manually remove them to inspect and found two blew out. One for dome and other was headlight. This also affected my alarm remote.

Does not hurt to double check. GL
Old 05-22-16, 11:12 PM
apdanger
Driver School Candidate

No the battery isn't charging. To update, Had some time so I pulled the alternator and had it bench tested, all test came back as passing. I'll be cleaning the grounds again and seeing how it goes from there. When off the car the battery shows 12.4v so I assume it's good. Could it still be a battery issue? I cleaned and filed all the grounds from the negative terminal and put it all back together and the light is still on. I also replaced the ALT 120A fuse and used dielectric grease on the cable that goes to the alternator. Could it have something to with with anything on the positive connection? My car was in an accident before this happened, does that affect it?
Old 07-30-16, 09:08 AM
ISKorey
Driver School Candidate

there's a simple test you can do to verify the alternator is charging. while the car is running pull the negative from the battery. If the car dies after any length of time the alternator is dead or not creating enough charge. Also check to make sure someone put the correct alternator in. could have a larger pulley on it if its charging after 5k rpm then its not spinning fast enough to create a charge. Ive never seen an alternator pulley changed out but if its not the right year it could be to large a pulley and spinning the alternator to slowly.