To Air intake or not to air intake? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 03:48 PM
Mister2jge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation To Air intake or not to air intake? That is the question

Hey whats up CL

Im new here. Just joined as of today. Im a 1st gen. Owner of an 04 is300.

I was thinking of modifying my air filter box with an aftermarket one but I've seen
Forums that debate that aftermarket intakes are worse if not the same as the factory
Air filter box. Due to the loss of pressure you get from removing it.

Any recommendations? Suggestions im open to hearing you guys out.

Thanks!

-
🔰🔰🔰
Old 01-15-16, 01:34 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Most IS300 owners will tell you that the factory airbox design is pretty solid. And I'm kinda new to IS's and I have to say I think they're right. The factory is a almost a ram-air setup. What I've seen a lot of people do is replace the factory air tube with the JoeZ intake (it's just a metal pipe that replaces the big resonator in the tube. I went one step further from that and bought the HPS intake pipe.

It's made out of silicone, so it doesn't absorb engine heat like a metal pipe does.

I am currently running this HPS tube with an Apex'i drop-in air filter.

Both the HPS intake tube and the Apexi (and Blitz) drop-in air filters can be found on Amazon and eBay.

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 01-15-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 01:38 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Almost all of the intakes out there for the IS300 are mostly for looks. The Injen, for example, deletes the airbox. So you lose the ram-air effect. And since the aluminum pipe crosses over the header, it gets very warm to the touch.

The only intake I know of to add more than 10hp is the SRT intake. But that does it mostly with the black box that wires into your MAF wiring. The black box alters maf signals so the engine doesn't run too lean with the bigger pipe and throw a CEL. It also causes the engine to spray a tad more fuel to take advantage of the increase in air
Old 01-17-16, 01:01 PM
Loda19
Driver School Candidate

I have a K&N short ram intake installed and have had no issues (CEL). Not sure on the power gain if any but it does sound good!
Old 01-17-16, 02:01 PM
Mister2jge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Almost all of the intakes out there for the IS300 are mostly for looks. The Injen, for example, deletes the airbox. So you lose the ram-air effect. And since the aluminum pipe crosses over the header, it gets very warm to the touch.

The only intake I know of to add more than 10hp is the SRT intake. But that does it mostly with the black box that wires into your MAF wiring. The black box alters maf signals so the engine doesn't run too lean with the bigger pipe and throw a CEL. It also causes the engine to spray a tad more fuel to take advantage of the increase in air
@1997soarer.... I agree with you..... Silicone arm intake is def. the way to go. Now i just need to buy a heat shield for the headers. I was think of doing this setup
Attached Thumbnails To Air intake or not to air intake? That is the question-image.jpg  
Old 01-17-16, 02:06 PM
Mister2jge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loda19
I have a K&N short ram intake installed and have had no issues (CEL). Not sure on the power gain if any but it does sound good!
@loda19.....i do agree the k&n short ram does look and sound nice!!! .... But from what i've been hearing modifying the stock box work just as efficient as the aftermarket intakes. So ive made my choice. Im going with the setup of the pic i posted up there^^^^^^^^^^

=D