IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

DIY Master Key Program Using Wallet Key + Wallet Card

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 07:23 PM
cnk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY Master Key Program Using Wallet Key + Wallet Card

Hello everybody this is my first post because I just felt the urge to share my findings versus my introduction thread. I have also posted this on My.IS

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WALLET KEY CARD DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER AS THIS IS A DIY FOR PROGRAMMING A MASTER KEY WITH THE WALLET KEY + CARD

SKIP TO BOTTOM FOR THE STEPS!!!

So I have a new to me 2004 Lexus IS300 (5spd Manual). Owner states the fob was lost and that a new key would have to be bought at a Lexus dealer. $250+ or something quoted at the time of the pre-car inspection.

What I received when purchasing the vehicle was a Valet Key (can run and start the car but not operate trunk or glove box) and a Wallet Key (does everything, and I like to describe it as a master key that is split into two forms. A physical key and the chip portion!) shown below

Name:  IMG_20151203_200350_zps8icbryha.jpg
Views: 5257
Size:  202.0 KB

***Pay attention to the Wallet Key Card because there is a key code written on it. Be sure that the physical key can do everything (ie open doors, trunks, and glove box) before continuing to the next step. This ensures the previous owner did not have different keys reprogrammed over the original ones***

Keycode appears where I blocked mine out with white

So being the frugal type of guy I go to ebay and purchase a New transponder and Pre Cut key all in one. The information you will need to provide the seller is the Keycode located on the Keycard as depicted in the photo, or send a HQ picture with no flash of your current key (If you have a Master Key). Distinguishing between Master Key and valet keys have been discussed heavily from what I have briefly seen glossing the forum.

This is the link that I used to purchase my key:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-PRE-CUT-EASY-PROGRAM-3-BUTTON-FOB-REMOTE-KEY-w-4C-CHIP-for-LISTED-models-02P-/151899174646?vxp=mtr
What to expect when it arrives:

[/URL]

Instructions are also included!

From top to bottom:

Ebay Key

Valet Key

Wallet Key + Card

Name:  IMG_20151203_200255_zpsnmqts1dv.jpg
Views: 6300
Size:  441.7 KB

I easily programmed the keyless remote portion to recognize my car! That's when I thought I made a mistake. I was mad at the possibility I would have to take it to Lexus to program it. Spending money is not the goal (at least for me). As I sat in my car with outside temperatures dropping I almost gave up. I literally walked inside and halfway up the stairs a light bulb clicked.

I remember people saying that the Wallet Key Couldn't start the car. That is only true if you do not have the Wallet Card! I remember that to start with the Wallet key you would need to Insert the key and then hold the card portion close to the ignition. I never flew so fast down these stairs back into the frosty night.

ATTENTION! REAL DIY BEGINS HERE!

1. Insert Wallet Key into ignition
2. Hold Wallet Card next to ignition until security light disappears. (The SL will remain off until Step 7)
3. Pump the Gas Pedal 5 times.
4. Pump the Brake Pedal 6 times.
5. Remove the Wallet Key
6. Insert your new key from eBay.
7. Pump the Gas pedal once and the SL should start flashing.
8. Wait for one minute for the light to stop blinking
9. Remove your New Master Key and step on the brakes.
10. Test start your car, pat yourself on the back, and smile at all the money you just saved.

Nice to meet you guys and hope my first post helps many! I know it was a simple post, but I have not heard anyone say it was possible to use the Wallet Key + Card to program a new Master Key.

LET IT BE KNOWN!

Last edited by cnk; 12-03-15 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Request for certain info to be removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by cnk:
sbryant324 (01-19-19), TuffDadSF (06-16-21)
Old 01-19-19, 06:35 AM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this. I am looking for the same 2 piece wallet key for my 2009 RX as a backup when travelling. Before I go down the wrong path, is there any way to determine the correct 4 digit code for an RX, or are they broken down into groups by VIN or similar? I have been told they are only programable once from new. I have reprogrammed spare keys before but this "once only" option seems odd.