IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

How to know if blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 11:06 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to know if blown head gasket?

Hey guys, need some help with this IS300 I'm trying to buy, here's what happened;

Known to have a coolant leak on the radiator. Over heated while driving on the freeway, pulled over quick, got it towed. Tried to start when got home, engine turning but wouldn't start. At this point battery is dead. CEL says low coolant sensor. Hose to coolant reservoir melted right off. No coolant in the system. Checked oil through the dipstick, oil is clean.

If it's blown head gasket, what would the cost be to fix it myself? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-15, 09:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Hey guys, need some help with this IS300 I'm trying to buy, here's what happened;

Known to have a coolant leak on the radiator. Over heated while driving on the freeway, pulled over quick, got it towed. Tried to start when got home, engine turning but wouldn't start. At this point battery is dead. CEL says low coolant sensor. Hose to coolant reservoir melted right off. No coolant in the system. Checked oil through the dipstick, oil is clean.

If it's blown head gasket, what would the cost be to fix it myself? Thanks in advance!
A head gasket is a pretty in depth repair. Not something for the amateur unfortunately.

Need to find out if that is even the issue first - a compression test and subsequent leak down test will tell you whats wrong
Old 04-24-15, 04:42 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+ 1 on what mitsuguy said.
Head gaskets are a lot of work. Doable for sure, but it helps if you are already mechanically inclined or know a buddy who is who is willing to help out if needed.
If you were to do it yourself it would be pretty cheap. The parts cost would probably be about $100 tops. That's for new OE valve cover gasket, head gasket, and intake manifold gasket (if applicable). But the question is, what else do you want to replace/take care of while you have everything torn apart?

But yes, you need to do a compression test and a leak down test first. You can pick up a compression test kit for about $20 at harbor freight. It goes without saying that stuff from harbor freight is great for occasional use, but I would buy a much better one if I was having to use it with an sort of regularity.