IS300 Oil changes messy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 11:46 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default IS300 Oil changes messy?

Hello All,

Im new to the is300 family I just bought mine the other day and was wondering something. I got my oil changed yesterday at a very reputable indy lexus shop were in so cal recently with 5w30 mobil full syn oil. After I got home I moved my car later to make room for my wifes car and I noticed oil on my driveway.. not a lot but enough to give my local indy shop a call. I was told by my indy shop that changing the oil on this car gets messy and usually leaves the subframe with oil. They usually wash it off at the car wash next door but it had been raining so it was closed. I just wanted to make sure my shop wasnt make things up.

also what premium gas are you all running?
Old 01-27-15, 12:54 PM
BOOT11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil filter location makes it pretty easy to spill oil if you aren't used to it. I wouldn't worry too much if the oil level isn't going down at all. As far as gas, google Top Tier gas. That's all I use in my cars except for VP Race fuels.
Old 01-27-15, 01:38 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT11
The oil filter location makes it pretty easy to spill oil if you aren't used to it. I wouldn't worry too much if the oil level isn't going down at all. As far as gas, google Top Tier gas. That's all I use in my cars except for VP Race fuels.
ahh the previous owner was saying he ran 89 and 87 octane.. I usually run 91 prem only.. i'll switch over to that on my next tank.
Old 01-27-15, 03:39 PM
James4394
Driver

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
Hello All, Im new to the is300 family I just bought mine the other day and was wondering something. I got my oil changed yesterday at a very reputable indy lexus shop were in so cal recently with 5w30 mobil full syn oil. After I got home I moved my car later to make room for my wifes car and I noticed oil on my driveway.. not a lot but enough to give my local indy shop a call. I was told by my indy shop that changing the oil on this car gets messy and usually leaves the subframe with oil. They usually wash it off at the car wash next door but it had been raining so it was closed. I just wanted to make sure my shop wasnt make things up. also what premium gas are you all running?
yea as soon as u take off the old oil filter oil drips down into the whole entire subframe it's quite messy I usually unscrew the cap with a ziplock bag and let the filter fall into the bag
Old 01-27-15, 05:08 PM
BOOT11
Driver School Candidate

Yeah in CA you should use Exxon, Chevron, Shell, Gulf (some 100 octane available), and Sunoco (used to be Top Tier but recently they were removed from the list. Not sure why). Definitely use 91+ octane. 100 probably won't buy you much, if anything.
Old 01-28-15, 09:27 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

I use a "half gallon" milk container that is cut in half, but it still makes a lil mess
Old 01-29-15, 05:03 PM
dchia
Driver School Candidate

I just put a plastic bag under the filter and pull the filter out turned upside down so no oil spills out. It's a weird location and some spillage is unavoidable. Best you can do is minimize it.

As for your other question, I usually run 91 octane.
Old 02-23-15, 06:09 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did my is300 oil for the first time yesterday and it is tight in there. I put a bunch of rags under the filter and still managed to get oil on the subframe
Old 02-25-15, 11:51 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanV
i did my is300 oil for the first time yesterday and it is tight in there. I put a bunch of rags under the filter and still managed to get oil on the subframe
This happened to me too. This method works on my SC300 rather well but on the IS300, nope haha.

I'm going to try the ziplock bag method next
Old 02-26-15, 11:28 PM
HOMECINEMA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
This happened to me too. This method works on my SC300 rather well but on the IS300, nope haha.

I'm going to try the ziplock bag method next
Thats an interesting idea , prefer to use a hoist though
Old 03-01-15, 09:46 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bring my own filter and oil to Toyota and they only charge me ~$17 labor, so I have no problem letting them deal with it.

Last edited by rvalero; 03-02-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 03:31 AM
HOMECINEMA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rvalero
I bring a my own filter and oil to Toyota and they only charge me ~$17 labor, so I have no problem letting them deal with it.
I like to think they would do the same for me ...... but I doubt it
Old 03-03-15, 12:54 AM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol.. Goofs probably unscrewed the already upside down filter and turned it upright and let all the oil pour out the bottom. It's best to unscrew it and bring it up, still upside down. Don't tilt at all because that filter is usually still more than half way filled up with old oil.

Other than that it's easy. I always do my own oil and filter changes on my cars.

And yes I want a damn cookie!
Old 03-04-15, 02:14 PM
BoughtanIS
Driver

ahh the previous owner was saying he ran 89 and 87 octane.. I usually run 91 prem only.. i'll switch over to that on my next tank.
Never ever run less than 91.
Old 03-13-15, 12:48 PM
bluulexo
Driver School Candidate

Lexus recommends Premium fuel only, I would not go lower than 91.

Quick Reply: IS300 Oil changes messy?