IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

metal on metal noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 05:57 AM
omeo21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal on metal noise

A month ago I originally had a bad groaning creaking sound when coming to a stop, taking off and turning that later became constant while driving . Lexus advised it Was due to shock absorbers leaking and lower control arm bushes split and cracked. They also advised caliper was sticking . Replaced both absorbers and lower control arms plus caliper all after market , realigned and all was good.

Rear brake pads have been changed last month and front has plenty left.

About 2 weeks now after driving I'm getting a metal on metal creaking sound when coming to a stop sometimes at a light stop or a harsh stop , taking off and slight turns at low speeds. Even when turning wheel stationary. Car seems fine when driving normally and turning at normal speeds. The noise seems to come and go.

THe noise is definitely coming from around the rotor disc area right drivers side wheel. Took it to the mechanic and he could find no issues. He said there's no play at all with any of the joints , wish bone etc... He said its solid and there's not the slightest play to even give him a idea of what's going on. He said rotor was fine and the back plate was not knocking against anything.

Any idea? I noticed that it becomes worse when it rains

Last edited by omeo21; 12-09-14 at 11:39 AM.