IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

No communication to ecu, immobilizer tripped and going nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 06:24 PM
e3customs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No communication to ecu, immobilizer tripped and going nuts!!!

First off let me start out by saying hello and I could use some help.

The story starts out like this..
I bought an 01 is300 from a friend for next to nothing because he believed that the motor was blown and had a mechanic friend tell him so. I told him he was full of it and knew nothing. Turns out I was right the motor is fine, I bought it from him and he was happy in the end so whatever.

On to the real problem, The car will not start because the immobilizer is tripped and he only had a valet key. SO knowing that the 01 need a new ecu in order to program a master key to start trying to figure out what was going on I took the car to lexus bought a new ecu and three keys. They were unable to connect to the new ecu to program the key so the told me i needed new everything, body harness, engine harness and some mplex mod. thats when i said f that and took the car back. I have no ideal why the obd port will no connect to the ecu. All the pins read ground with the key off except the 12v power source. YES i check the obd fuse and its fine. powers up my really expensive scan tool but will not connect. The car is stock other than an aftermarket head unit but i already ruled that out. The only other symptom the car has is the outside temp gauge reads E instead of a number. I am at a loss, I looked over the wiring diagrams and I cannot for the life of me figure whats going on. I searched and most of the threads that apply to this at pointless so thats why I signed up to ask if anyone has ever heard of or had a similar problem. Any help would let me sleep at night.
The following users liked this post:
pacas91331 (03-20-21)
Old 12-25-13, 09:14 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if this will help, but did you check both diagnostic ports? There's one under the dash for the obdII connection as well as one under the hood behind the drivers headlight.

I'm at lost for what the problem could be. My brother in law is a Master Toyota Tech. I just sent him an email of your post and maybe he can help diagnose it.
Old 12-26-13, 03:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You've got a lot of wire tracing on your hands it would appear... You need to find a copy of the is300 factory service manual and start tracing wires...

I assume you've checked the obvious fuses?
Old 12-26-13, 07:05 PM
e3customs
Driver School Candidate

I am waiting on my friend to come through with his adapter for the engine diagnostic port. I am hoping that It will connect. However I would hope that the lexus dealer at least tried tied to connect it while it was there. The stupid service writer wouldnt let me talk to the tech. It was only when I got the car back to my shop that I understood what he was trying to tell me when I hook my scan tool up. It didnt help my case that when I took the car there It looked like a pos because I was in the middle of doing the interior and vinyl wrapping the car. I think they just didnt want to spend the time to diagnose the problem even thought I was willing to spend a lot of money to fix it.

I did look at the wiring diagram both from alldata and the like posted on a thread here. The alldata one is missing some wires so its proving confusing to follow. The one i found through a link on here was for a 2004 is300 and I dont know how different the diagrams are for a 01 due to the different ecu. Either way I am getting annoyed with it and about to say f it and throw a lsx in.

On a more productive note This was what I have found wrong with car so far!
1) post cat o2 sensor wiring was ripped off completely
2) side marker lights were cut along with one of the horn wires.
3) tps sensor connector was broken ( the clip part so its connected but can be pulled out without depressing the clip.
4) car was converted to manual with a w58 I did not know that and neither did my friend that I bought the car from he got it that way. The swap was done cleanly however I noticed that they used the speed sensor from the w58 and tapped into the original wires. Plus the auto park neutral safety switch was hanging above the tranny. (I checked all of the things I stated above and fixed them and tested the obd after I fixed them.
Other than that I really can find anything jumping out at me).