IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Mimi's IS!!

Old 11-04-13, 04:47 PM
themimster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mimi's IS!!

I'm Mimi, aka the mimster, and I'm new to the forum. I recently decided to buy a is300, and I couldn't be happier. I've had it for all of a week now, and have already started to tear it apart!! A few little things needed to be fixed.

First, some pics from when I bought it. It's a 2002 graphite gray pearl with a 5 speed.

So two of the tabs on the rear bumper were torn somehow. Time to fix it!!

The gap on the good side:

The broken side

Bumper removed!!

Me being like, look how much room there is in the trunk without the spare in here!!!

While I had the rear bumper off and was fabbing up some tab pieces to epoxy on, I figured I might do some other aesthetic mods while I was at it. So off came the front grill, the front bumper, and the headlights. I plan on polishing the lenses of the headlights, painting the grill flat black, as well as the inside of the headlights.
Headlights off!

Pried apart

Masked off

Grill and headlights painted!!

So everything is drying, results to come tomorrow. I can't wait!!!!
Old 11-04-13, 04:54 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow great upgrades.... looks good. I got a few parts for this car if you're interested.
Old 11-04-13, 04:56 PM
themimster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
wow great upgrades.... looks good. I got a few parts for this car if you're interested.
I might just take you up on that!!
Old 11-04-13, 05:23 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the IS and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 11-05-13, 06:03 PM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great car and nice mods to start with!
Old 11-06-13, 07:33 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL. I like what you've done so far, but make sure you don't touch the inside of the lenses. I've read that they have an anti-fog coating that will be destroyed if touched. Good luck with the rest of your projects.
Old 11-06-13, 09:05 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

welcome to CL and good luck! the 1st Gen IS is the car that made me fall in love with Lexus.

great pics too... good to know you can fit atleast one body in the trunk if need be ROFL
Old 11-08-13, 11:32 AM
BoughtanIS
Driver

Car looks great! You also have the darkest possible tail lights, so congrats on that. You could have popped off the corner light, instead of masking it off.
Old 11-16-13, 12:20 PM
themimster
Driver School Candidate

Well life got in the way, and I haven't gotten around to updating the thread until now! Not to worry, every thing turned out great.

Headlights
In the garage right when I finished them because I was super excited

Outside the next day

Bumper tabs in progress. I used an old credit card for the one that goes on the ninja star, and a tin can for the other, glued on with plastic specific epoxy. Should hold up well

Marking up the piece to be cut out. I used tin snips to shape it and then a drill press to get the opening. Not pictured, but I also drilled some holes though out the flat part of it to allow the epoxy to sort of mushroom out, to help get a better bond. Also not pictured is my first attempt which failed miserably lol

Also in the removal of the bumpers and fender liners I found a bunch of broken/missing stupid plastic push pins. I went to the nearby toyota dealer and they were super nice and gave me some replacements of all different sizes. Sweet!

I detailed the engine bay a little bit. I don't plan on any engine mods for a while, but I like it to be clean and look as good as it can.

Old 11-16-13, 12:47 PM
themimster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Seize
Congrats on the IS and welcome to Club Lexus
Thanks for the welcome!!

Originally Posted by seyelabrev
Great car and nice mods to start with!
Thanks, I am loving the car so far!!

Originally Posted by rvalero
Welcome to CL. I like what you've done so far, but make sure you don't touch the inside of the lenses. I've read that they have an anti-fog coating that will be destroyed if touched. Good luck with the rest of your projects.
I had already torn the headlights apart by the time I read this, but I did use latex gloves whenever I was handling them. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by SUPERBRINO
welcome to CL and good luck! the 1st Gen IS is the car that made me fall in love with Lexus.

great pics too... good to know you can fit atleast one body in the trunk if need be ROFL
I was already a toyota fan before I got the IS (I drove a tacoma for many years) but I am glad I made an upgrade to their luxury brand!! Sometimes its just nice to have heated seats!!! And yes, body transport capability is vital knowledge LOLOLOL

Originally Posted by BoughtanIS
Car looks great! You also have the darkest possible tail lights, so congrats on that. You could have popped off the corner light, instead of masking it off.
Thank you! Good to know! I have a hatred for light colored lights. I guess I wont have to tear my tail lights apart too!!
Old 11-17-13, 01:15 PM
NMTIS300
Driver School Candidate

I like how you fixed those bumper tabs, good ingenuity!
Old 11-17-13, 05:37 PM
themimster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NMTIS300
I like how you fixed those bumper tabs, good ingenuity!
Thanks NMTIS300!! Looks like you autocross your car! I'm hoping to get into that once the season starts up again in the spring!
Old 11-18-13, 06:34 PM
LKJBL
Driver School Candidate

Wouldn't happen to have any other shots of the front end after the headlight mod, would ya? I have a GGP IS300 as well and dunno if that's something I'd like to pursue or not.
Old 11-18-13, 06:49 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a DIY on doing your own intake tube. I did it on my first is and then heat wrapped it. Total was wayy less then any aftermarket intake tube and worked way better. Go grata on the purchase!
Old 11-18-13, 06:52 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like the feel of the way it shifts, look into the CDD delete: http://my.is/forums/f221/manual-owne...ce-cdd-155744/. You can also replace the part with a ~10mm brake union....I think. I got the one by Figs motorsports. It's more expensive, but it looks better lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mimi's IS!!