IS 300 Vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 11:25 AM
gotyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 300 Vacuum leak

Hey all,
I'm working on my daughters IS300, 2001 with 227,000, miles car has been a beast, abused but in spite of it all doing pretty well.
Been working through some rough idle, CEL and ABS issues.

Ran codes and got: R0161-replace bank 2 O2 sensor, CEL went out but came back on.
P1349-replaced timing belt, tensioners, water pump, runs great.
P0440 & P0446-girls have gotten these codes for a couple years, did not affect performance although I suspect fuel efficiency likely compromised.

ABS light ON and Trac Light flashing.

The real issue is after driving for a short while, when come to stop get rough idle, loss of pressure and hard brake pedal and that's when CEL came back on after O2 sensor replaced.

I have cleaned the MAG and OCV filter.

I suspect the rough idle issue is a vacuum leak....Question can the rough idle and brake pedal issues all be a result of the evap issues related to the fuel tank and valve?

Checked lines coming from Brake Booster all look OK, checked hose coming from back of airbox looks fine. Replaced PCV valve and hose.

Kinda enjoy monkeying with it, but could use some help with what to tackle to cure the rough idle braking issue. I think once that is fixed the CEL will stay off longer enough to get the State inspection passed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ROck On!
Old 09-25-13, 12:56 PM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

For the rough idle.....has the MAF been replaced? w/over 200K on an original part....thats pretty good. Recommend a new MAF, install, clear code and see if the rough idle persists.

Trac and ABS flashing is the 02 sensors.....B1S2 error common in these cars. Recommend the 02 delete from Token Solutions, eliminates this and makes the car run smoother. Drawback is its currently out of stock. Or you can buy Denso 02 sensors....not cheap, but reasonable from Amazon.

P0446/P0440....vacuum leak error codes. Had this in an 02 Altima where the hose developed a small tear/leak in the back hose. Also could be the canister vent control/charcoal canister under the rear of the car, above the gas tank. Sort of a pain to get to.....couple 10 mm bolts and you gotta remove the metal hump in the trunk. Had a friend who kept having the gas nozzle click and take forever to fill up....was the vapor pressure sensor.

Guess you gotta tackle the various codes one by one since they are multiple.....

*edit* Hard brake pedal.....just saw this. 01 has a different brake master cylinder than 02 up. If there are no leaks in the vacuum or brake lines.....faulty ABS block or master cylinder?

Last edited by neosxe808; 09-25-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 02:29 PM
gotyme
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

TOken Thanks Neo,

went ahead and pulled the canister....kinda of a mother.....to get to.

Looks like i can replace the vapor pressure sensor and pressure switching value...gonna try that.

I will go ahead and replace the MAF, I cleaned it, but just as well replace it.

Let you know where I'm at when thats finished. Thanks again, it's a big help.

Rock On!

Last edited by gotyme; 09-25-13 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Token Solutions....so this product will eliminate worrying about replacing the O2 sensors and get rid of the pesky CEL!!!!!
Old 09-26-13, 11:07 AM
Erased
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 02 ES300, getting the P0440 CEL as well. So far I have replaced gas cap, and found missing hose to airbox, replaced and light came back on about a 100 miles later. I will be following this thread for leads, I hate throwing parts at a car and not getting any results. My car has low mileage, so I am surprised I am having trouble. Guess its the age of vehicle. Goodluck!
Old 09-26-13, 03:53 PM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

found an extra spare charcoal cannister w/all the hoses/sensors the other day, I will shoot a pic so people have some actual reference how it is laid out.

Also had a problem with the brakes on my 01 when I did a motor swap/5 speed conversion, brakes kept locking up. Culprit turned out to be the brake booster.....had to eliminate the problem by swapping brake caliper, line, brake master cylinder then finally the master.......luckily had spare parts and lots of time.

Hope you cleared out some of your codes/problems. Again, if you change the MAF out and no difference in performance, you can always return the part for refund(if you bought it at Autozone or Oreilly).....I've done that many times.
Old 10-03-13, 11:31 AM
glassjaw
Driver School Candidate

Either the check valve in the booster hose **** the bed, or the diagram in the booster itself has a problem. considering your ABS light is on means you have an issue with the ABS system and it is currently not active.

Hard pedal usually occurs from a loss of vacuum to assisted braking. regardless you have a problem in the ABS system that needs attention.
Old 10-03-13, 03:36 PM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

how is the prognosis going? Finally have a change to upload the photos....here is the shot of the charcoal cannister removed from the car, has all the vaccum lines and sensors attached for your reference......the pressure vent sensor is located to the right of the pic......

][/URL]

Closeup
[/URL]

Another close shot