Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Manual Swap looking!!!

All you have let me know... :thumbup
Old 07-25-13, 05:57 PM
TwitWaffle
Driver School Candidate

Not worth itt, just buy a manual IS300 save your money, and save a headache.
Unless your current IS300 is heavily modded and ****, minus whale just buy one that's already 5speed.
Not like doing a swap will make your car a ton more valuable or something.
Old 07-25-13, 06:26 PM
hatchguy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that's a lot of work lol and the amount of money you spend on the tranny, pedals ,and all the little crap you will need will probably be more than the difference between what you can sell your car for and what you can buy a factory 5-speed for, although if your looking for big power you will probably need something stronger than the factory trans anyway. What kind of tranny are you looking for?
Old 07-25-13, 11:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

actually, manual swap is cheap - I found the pedal assembly for $75 complete not too long ago, and a couple hundred for a few miscellaneous parts, the trans is the expensive part - R154 costs about 1200, V160/161 costs 3000-4000, and W55/W58 are pointless swaps, the A650 is just as strong...
Old 07-26-13, 04:41 PM
hatchguy
Driver School Candidate

75 bucks is heck of a deal for the pedal assembly I was pricing it new online when I was looking into it and it was like $500. Are they usually that cheap at salvage yards?
Old 07-28-13, 05:33 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

I would sell the car and buy a 5 speed one like everyone else said. Unless you have a salvaged 5 speed laying around you would be up **** creek to find all the little pieces you needed.
Old 07-28-13, 05:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
I would sell the car and buy a 5 speed one like everyone else said. Unless you have a salvaged 5 speed laying around you would be up **** creek to find all the little pieces you needed.
What?

It's not that bad at all... Doing something like I am, a TH350 swap, a little more in depth and custom, but the pieces are out there - they are stock Toyota parts with part numbers, if there is something you need and can't find it, simply source it from the dealer...

here's the thing - a manual car has a crap transmission to start, so if you are modding at all, might as well get the transmission you want instead of the junk W series...
Old 07-28-13, 05:54 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
What?

It's not that bad at all... Doing something like I am, a TH350 swap, a little more in depth and custom, but the pieces are out there - they are stock Toyota parts with part numbers, if there is something you need and can't find it, simply source it from the dealer...

here's the thing - a manual car has a crap transmission to start, so if you are modding at all, might as well get the transmission you want instead of the junk W series...
I didnt say it was complicated. Everyone isn't cut out to do a swap. If you have done one before you would know that there is always something that you need and have to find. You think you have it all ready and then there is something else. Expense is another thing. You could purchase all the parts individually for $2000 or so (IDK). Or you could buy a salvaged 5 speed for $2500 and have the entire car left over for parts and not have to search for the interior trim panels you need and the linkages and the random knick knacks. Or you can do it half way like most people do and will and just barely make it work…..
Old 07-28-13, 06:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
I didnt say it was complicated. Everyone isn't cut out to do a swap. If you have done one before you would know that there is always something that you need and have to find. You think you have it all ready and then there is something else. Expense is another thing. You could purchase all the parts individually for $2000 or so (IDK). Or you could buy a salvaged 5 speed for $2500 and have the entire car left over for parts and not have to search for the interior trim panels you need and the linkages and the random knick knacks. Or you can do it half way like most people do and will and just barely make it work…..
Thats correct, some people aren't cut out to put a spare tire on, but lets not discourage them from learning how...

There is always that missing part, no matter what, it happens, but you can do a 5 speed swap from an IS300 for probably right around $850 plus a clutch... find the transmissions for $400-$500 all day long... I found the clutch pedal assembly for $75... add in a clutch line, master, slave and an OEM driveshaft, and we're talking $800-$900 in parts...

The problem with this is that if we are going through this trouble, why don't we just upgrade to a R154 or V161... of course those are expensive in comparison, but also good for more than the 400ish whp the W series maxes out at...
Old 07-29-13, 12:50 AM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

if you have time and $$, as long as its not a 01 IS3 should be an easy swap. I would say get a donor car that someone suggested, since swapping the motor and trans one crack is easier.
Also if the mileage is lower, it serves a purpose too (mine was hella low).

Spent a lot of time on the forums and trial and error putting the conversion/swap together.......

I did a swap on a 2001 and found that year everything was different when trying to plug everything back in, ECU, climate control, seatbelts, etc. Of course I had a donor car so ended up swapping every single harness in the car to make it work.....took some time but I had the time so I did it. Mission accomplished, and now I have another donor as a spare since MT IS3s are hard to come by where I am and people want big $$ for em......

Uploaded photos from the swap under my photo section if you are interested......
Old 07-29-13, 05:19 AM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

I have been able to find a few manual trans cars that i thought about parting out but i currently just finished putting my 2001 together and have another 2001 I am parting out. Buying a donor car is the way to go if you have the money and you think you will have the left over parts to make your money back plus some. Its always nice for it to pay for itself.....
Old 07-29-13, 08:50 AM
TwitWaffle
Driver School Candidate

You forgot to mention that you will need a new radiator, and you will need a trans cooler.
The radiator of automatic IS300 has trans cooler built-in.
That's more than $500 right there.....

Lets not forget that you will probably need a drive shaft because auto and 5speed drive shaft is different.
ALSO depending on the trans you get, you might even need new differential... V160 differential is like $1700

And I think you are lucky you didn't buy that $75 pedal assembly because that's probably a scam, cheapest I ever saw was $150 and that was for used parts.
I don't know why you talk crap on the W58, it's a good trans I have that in my 98 Supra. That trans is good for daily driving use and can handle up to like 400hp.

Last edited by TwitWaffle; 07-29-13 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 08:53 AM
hyboostIS
Driver School Candidate

I did my swap in my sportcross in 5 hrs. Start to finish on the ground. the only thing was the driveshaft had to be made. In total I spent about $1600 that's with W58 non- turbo supra tranny, spec clutch and driveshaft being made.

For the clutch pedal I couldn't find one so I ordered the pedal, the pedal box and pins from Toyota as I get a good discount there and I only payed $187.69. I remade the brake pedal pad and bought new pads.

Old 07-29-13, 04:36 PM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

FYI Aftermarket Radiators "Performance" Brand (The cactus logo) run about $100 new. They also sell aftermarket dryers and condensors cheap also.

As for 5MT pdeals, I sold my extra set locally for $275. Heard that the late model Celica GTS pedals work, though didn't need to source those.

I have an extra MT driveshaft and all the other stuff on my parts car, just kinda lazy to ship big items......
Old 07-29-13, 07:19 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Any five speed is better than the auto, except in heavy traffic, IMO. I converted my SC to a five speed and it was a pain in the butt, but ever since then, I never looked back with my built Soarer R154.

Quick Reply: Manual Swap looking!!!