IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS 300 Stock HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 03:41 PM
justme

If you look hard enough you cna find those numbers and they will be vice versa for the cars. I am not here to downplay the validity and panache of the IS, as i said, I love the car. But the initial comment was about RAW HP and as a joke I mentioned the Maxima or altima. Now you all will agree the next generation Altima, Said to come with a 260-hp v6 as an option will no doubt SMOKE an IS. As for the comment that most maximas are automatics, arent all IS's autos? No one seems to want to touch the comments as far as PURE power about the 260hp altima or the 280 + HP v8 maxima rumored to be on thehorizon. The IS probably is the best in its class in LUXURY sports sedans. But I just wonder if it doesnt make you feel a bit peturbed that you paid all that money for the IS when you could have gotten comprable performance and MORE size in the MAX. Just my 2 cents not here to start a flame war or anything like that. Besides to me Lexus had become the MALT Liqour of Luxury cars anyway...until they refined the brand with the IS.
Old 04-03-01, 08:12 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 260 hp altima and a 280+ hp maxima is something i won't beleive , until i see it.

And if they do build it these will be limited production versions of these cars.

An altima will always be an econ-box. And a maxima will always be a family car alternative to the accord and camry.
Old 04-04-01, 08:11 AM
justme

Default well see it and weep

the thought you have is a good one, BUT the maxima is moving up in class to battle the avalon, WHY I dont know, the altima, which continuosly outsells the max with just 4 cylinders is going to take its place in the model lineup with the v-6 as an option...limited edition, i think not. Apparently the good folks at nissan believe that the Altima can beat accord and camry in the race for the sheeps dollars.
Old 04-04-01, 06:57 PM
Risk3233
Driver

Actually, a simple exhaust modification has been resulting in gains of 9whp or more on the dynos. I know the HKS Hiper and the 5Zigen netted over 9whp on recent dyno runs. These units are for only the rear tail section.

Headers may not be a viable mod since there are two catalytic convertors attached to the exhaust manifold so unless a header is designed w/these in mind, it may be a while until a header is released.
Old 04-05-01, 12:22 AM
DMANN

Exclamation NS ALTIMA IS A JOKE

Hey Nissan dealer (I mean "justme"):
1) Don't reference some 260HP Altima that doesn't exist yet. Maybe 2002? maybe 2003? maybe never? By 2003 the IS 300 may have a 270HP supercharched engine...
2) Even if there ever is a 260HP Altima, it will be FWD vs Lexus RWD -- Lexus wins...
3) Even if it has 260HP, it will still have that typical ugly Nissan jelly bean styling, and mucho plastic inside...
4) Finally, if your thinking of buying a Nissan, why not get the new Subaru WRX w/4wd, it will kick the Altima's *** on the track, and you'll have a true sh_t box-to-sh_t box comparison for $24K.
Old 04-05-01, 09:30 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by jbrady
Just reviewing the dyno charts for the GS and IS300s at the SRT web site http://www.swiftracing.com/engine/ecu.htm

and was surprised to find that the stock GS300 has 174rwhp and vs the IS300 at only 155rwhp. The GS also has a 13lb of torque advantage at 180 vs 167.

With the SRT ecu/air intake mod the GS gained 12hp/7tq vs the IS gain of 11hp/6tq. This would suggest either the IS drivetrain "eats" more power than the GS (hard to imagine) or the GS in reality has MORE than a 10hp advantage. Compare a stock IS with a SRT equipped GS300 and you have a 31 horsepower and a 20 lb/torque advantage. Anyone raced an IS with a GS300?

My IS Dynoed at 168.9 rwhp....
Old 04-06-01, 02:39 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

i would like to know who deleted my post on this thread? and on what grounds was it deleted. i in no way were flaming and had alot of reasonable arguements...therefore i will repost.

Originally posted by justme
Why not just trade in the IS300 for a 2k or 2k1 maxima , get 222 horsepower, or you could wait it out for the 2002 altima, same size as the IS with a 260hp v-6 as an option....plus you'll pay about 10k less:eek:
are you pulling **** out of your *** or what man? do you have any backing to what you just stated? 260hp altima? the most the altima will get is 240hp with a 3.0L.

Well the post WAS about HP was it not. The initial post was about the LACK of HP in your 30-35k car. And you ALL now that ANY maxima especially the 4th or 5th Gen's will give the IS a run for its money. Now, as far as customer service you all are right Lexus is superior. but fit and finish. nah cant agree with you on that. While an altima may not be anywhere near an is 300 RIGHT NOW, the maxima is on the same level. Handling if i add a RSB the max with the sports package is close to the IS. Now dont get me wrong i LOOOOVE the IS , those are my initials, BUT for pure perdormance the IS has a waaaaaaaaaays to go before it can compare to the max in all out *** hauling ability.
"justme"...buying a car is NOT just for drag racing and high HP figures. if we wanted something like that don't you think we could afford a WS6 and make the maxima look shameful? i am a maxima lover, but its people like you that make our cars look bad. dont start posting stuff out of your ***. "ANY" 4th or 5th gen? i dont think so. a good driver with a stick will beat an IS300, but an auto stock vs. stock will NOT. i own both cars. i know. and dont even sit here and compare the IS300's RWD characteristics and handling to a FWD car like the maxima. maximas are great overall cars for the money, but its handling is nowhere on par with an IS300, especially the ****ty steering.

nope i dont jest, 260hp altima in 2003, maxima is moving up to be an avalon fighter with a standard 8-banger. This is from what I have heard on the nissan site. PLUS, the se-r v spec engine from the sentra se-r will be the base on the altima, so anyway you cut it the power in the altima will rival that of the is300, the is although more refined will NEVER be faster than an altima with 260hp, or even a maxima with its 222 HP look at the 0-60 times. Im just saying for pure horsepower there are better, less expensive cars than the IS

maximas WILL NOT be getting a v8. i don't know where you're reading your stuff. but the new maxima will contain the vq35de 3.5L 260hp nissan motor that will also be offered in the new "Z" cars.

Old 04-06-01, 03:15 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one deleated your post, some of the database got erased last night, sorry about the confusion.
Old 04-06-01, 04:14 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusRules
no one deleated your post, some of the database got erased last night, sorry about the confusion.

o i c...sorry to hear that
Old 04-10-01, 03:11 PM
justme

every source out there says that maxima WILL be getting a v-8 in the near future. The Altima will get the 3.5l V-6 as an option. dont believe me...check out nissandriven.com tomorrow at @ 3pm.
Old 04-10-01, 03:28 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

JustMe-

For you to say :
, the is although more refined will NEVER be faster than an altima with 260hp
Yea right. When my car is boosted I will be putting more than 300hp to the ground. I will smoke the ***** out of the Altima. The 2jz-ge has a lot of potential!
Old 04-10-01, 04:43 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell Ya
Old 04-10-01, 08:52 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

every source out there says that maxima WILL be getting a v-8 in the near future. The Altima will get the 3.5l V-6 as an option. dont believe me...check out nissandriven.com tomorrow at @ 3pm.

we'll see, we'll see.
Old 04-11-01, 12:35 PM
justme

Default DID YOU SEE

today at 2:45 p.m. EST Nissan unveiled the NEW ALTIMA...3.5L V-6 240 HP 0-60 in 6.3 any questions about which car would win the race....I think not. You say with a turbo you will push 300HP...interesting, with a cold air intake, a pop charger a y-pipe and new catback system the Altima will come close for about ummmm $2k less than a supercharger, and guess what the warranty will still be good cause you can remove all that crap when you go in for dealer service...:eek:

Now who was it that said no way an altima will get that much HP, I was wrong with the 260 HP estimate but sheesh 240 coming from the altima...you know what that means for the mxima right...6 speed, v-8 RWD any questions?
Old 04-11-01, 04:03 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Default Re: DID YOU SEE

today at 2:45 p.m. EST Nissan unveiled the NEW ALTIMA...3.5L V-6 240 HP 0-60 in 6.3 any questions about which car would win the race....I think not. You say with a turbo you will push 300HP...interesting, with a cold air intake, a pop charger a y-pipe and new catback system the Altima will come close for about ummmm $2k less than a supercharger, and guess what the warranty will still be good cause you can remove all that crap when you go in for dealer service...:eek:

Now who was it that said no way an altima will get that much HP, I was wrong with the 260 HP estimate but sheesh 240 coming from the altima...you know what that means for the mxima right...6 speed, v-8 RWD any questions?
I think you misunderstood. I said 300 TO THE WHEELS. The 240hp Altima is measured to the crank. If I was talking crank horsepower it would be about 360hp. I will still smoke the ***** out of them. Not to mention I will be smoking them in style.

300HP...interesting, with a cold air intake, a pop charger a y-pipe and new catback system the Altima will come close for about ummmm $2k less than a supercharger
I dont know what you are referring to as a "pop charger" but a CAI and full catback exhaust IS NOT going to gain you 60 rwhp.

Quick Reply: IS 300 Stock HP