IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 Suspension

Old 03-26-13, 02:44 PM
Dtcsurfer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 Suspension

Is it possible to lower your is300 just by adjustments? i don't have the money to buy lowered springs or anything i just want to lower the car an inch or two. And how would i do it?
Attached Thumbnails IS300 Suspension-dsc01044.jpg  
Old 03-26-13, 08:40 PM
bl3ujay07
Driver School Candidate

no rush. Whatever you do, please do not cut your springs. Just wait. Once you drop it, the ride is going to be a lot stiffer and you'll feel every bump.
Old 03-26-13, 08:43 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Is that a serious question?

The cheapest route would be to put aftermarket springs into your stock shocks.
Old 03-26-13, 09:30 PM
Dtcsurfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Is that a serious question?

The cheapest route would be to put aftermarket springs into your stock shocks.
Well hey im still learning hahaha im trying to find the easy way to do things
Old 03-27-13, 05:24 AM
Kickrock
Driver School Candidate

Well i would agree with bl3uj07 in regards to not rushing it because the proper spring or coilover will be more beneficial at the end. You could always start by purchasing your spring first ie. (eibach) and make sure your struts on the vehicle are in good condition. You could also search on ebaymotor.com where they do sell strut spring packages for the first Gen Is300.
Old 03-27-13, 05:31 AM
Boostless
Driver School Candidate

There is NO way to lower the stock suspension by adjustment only. Like bl3uj07 said, please do not cut the stock springs, the ride will be terrible and not very predictable. Just wait until you can afford some basic lowering springs and youll be much happier in the long run. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 03-28-13, 07:44 AM
BiggDatty
Driver

There are springs on ebay that are capable of dropping 1-2 inches. Got me a pair for 70 Bucks.
Old 03-28-13, 08:36 AM
bl3ujay07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiggDatty
There are springs on ebay that are capable of dropping 1-2 inches. Got me a pair for 70 Bucks.
You get what you pay for. There was probably ZERO r&d behind those springs. PLENTY of horror stories of suspension problems all because of cheap ebay springs. You have a lexus for crying out loud! The LEAST you can do is put some decent parts on it....that is how i think. Your car, do what you want. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-28-13, 08:47 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bl3ujay07
You get what you pay for. There was probably ZERO r&d behind those springs. PLENTY of horror stories of suspension problems all because of cheap ebay springs. You have a lexus for crying out loud! The LEAST you can do is put some decent parts on it....that is how i think. Your car, do what you want. You get what you pay for.
Well, he can get KSport lowering springs for under $100.00 and at least they are from a reputable company.
Old 03-28-13, 11:39 AM
BiggDatty
Driver

Originally Posted by bl3ujay07
I'm on a coil over setup now, rather than cheap springs. Using CX Racing coilovers, cheapest I can find, and they work great as a high quality brand. Been month since I got them.
Old 03-28-13, 02:28 PM
bl3ujay07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZTurbo
Well, he can get KSport lowering springs for under $100.00 and at least they are from a reputable company.
Well if he is just looking for a drop and not really ride quality, then I guess ksports would work. Several years ago when I was part of the 240sx community, nothing but complaints about ksport. Could have improved. Not sure.

Either way, OP should just save up and buy either springs or coilovers that has some r&d behind the product and is reputable. I would never spend money on megan, godspeed, cxracing, and other generic rebranded parts. Do things right the first time around to save all the head aches down the road.
Old 03-28-13, 08:22 PM
JSAP
Driver

Save up for Stance! It's the only way to go.
Old 03-29-13, 11:05 AM
iSNin0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dtcsurfer
Well hey im still learning hahaha im trying to find the easy way to do things
Do it right the first time, that car deserves quality parts. dont take shortcuts, youll only trash that beautiful SD you got there. Like previous posts have stated when it comes to parts, you get what you pay for, and if youre planning on modding your car with eBay parts, youre better off with a civic, not only will your car ride like **** with cheap springs, youll dump it, improperly wear out shocks, and quite possibly have tire wear issues(anything below 2'')
If i were you i'd get me some springs for now, after that you can decide if you want to go lower and thus have to deal with the problems of an extremely lowered car, cutting springs is out of the question for me, its always good to be able to go back to stock form if you needed to.
i got the Eibach Pro-kit on my iS and i love them, the car handles better and they close the enormous wheelgap enhancing the look of the car, giving it a sport suspension height like a stock BMW, you can always go lower with springs or even coils, just know the lower the harder it gets to drive around town, if you do alot of city driving and your streets arent the prettiest or you often have passengers in your backseat then going lower will be more of a hassle, do your research and think before you buy anything though, its always good to know you purchased the right parts and didnt just pull the trigger for being impatient.
Point in case, springs ~$250, coils ~$1000 find whats better for your budget and for your particular use of the car.