IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

aftermarket headlights?

Old 02-02-13, 02:12 AM
birdman299
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket headlights?

has anyone had any experience with them? do you like them? and is it worth not having the auto leveling?
Old 02-06-13, 05:04 AM
thughes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by birdman299
has anyone had any experience with them? do you like them? and is it worth not having the auto leveling?
IMHO - Aftermarket lights for our cars look pretty......cheap. The factory ones are great if you have auto leveling and hid's. what are you trying to accomplish exactly?

I took my headlights apart, painted the insides and cleaned it all up, installed nicer lights and sold the factory HID's. I absolutely love them. (reflectors though... )

if you are wanting projectors, you would be MILES ahead just doing a retro fit. in the end you would probably save money, maintain the auto level, they will look nicer, and be exactly what YOU want (LED's 2 projectors per headlight, placement, shrouds, colors, etc), vs ebay garbage. I'm pretty sure my pic's are public, - http://tinyurl.com/bdl7v6z you can see the whole process.
Old 02-06-13, 05:21 AM
birdman299
Rookie

Originally Posted by thughes
IMHO - Aftermarket lights for our cars look pretty......cheap. The factory ones are great if you have auto leveling and hid's. what are you trying to accomplish exactly?

I took my headlights apart, painted the insides and cleaned it all up, installed nicer lights and sold the factory HID's. I absolutely love them. (reflectors though... )

if you are wanting projectors, you would be MILES ahead just doing a retro fit. in the end you would probably save money, maintain the auto level, they will look nicer, and be exactly what YOU want (LED's 2 projectors per headlight, placement, shrouds, colors, etc), vs ebay garbage. I'm pretty sure my pic's are public, - http://tinyurl.com/bdl7v6z you can see the whole process.

in all honesty lol i took mine apart to paint mine as well. while they were apart they got mineral spirits spilled on one lens and it ruined one no matter how much i have wet sanded and polished it. has small cracks within the lens. the set i found is aftermarket, but i can install the auto leveling onto the assembly so ill still have that, along with the hid's as well. im not happy about it, but it was kinda only option.
Old 02-06-13, 06:12 AM
thughes
Rookie

in all honesty lol i took mine apart to paint mine as well. while they were apart they got mineral spirits spilled on one lens and it ruined one no matter how much i have wet sanded and polished it. has small cracks within the lens. the set i found is aftermarket, but i can install the auto leveling onto the assembly so ill still have that, along with the hid's as well. im not happy about it, but it was kinda only option.
AH man that sucks!

you COULD just get a basic headlight (which ever side) bake it, and just swap the lens? if you take them apart again though, put some projectors in haha, may as well make it worth while if you open them again and go through that hassle

ps you really shouldn't bake them because of the auto leveler and factory hid ballast, i used a heatgun
Old 02-06-13, 06:39 AM
birdman299
Rookie

AH man that sucks!

you COULD just get a basic headlight (which ever side) bake it, and just swap the lens? if you take them apart again though, put some projectors in haha, may as well make it worth while if you open them again and go through that hassle

ps you really shouldn't bake them because of the auto leveler and factory hid ballast, i used a heatgun
well damn, well im just gunna order the aftermarkets, i dont trust myself lol not wasting $300 again lol
Old 02-06-13, 06:46 AM
thughes
Rookie

well damn, well im just gunna order the aftermarkets, i dont trust myself lol not wasting $300 again lol
$300!?!! woah. just buy the assembly you need, dont get a pair... and swap the lens. put the mineral spirits in the other room haha problem solved.
Old 02-06-13, 06:49 AM
birdman299
Rookie

[QUOTE=thughes;7749126]$300!?!! woah. just buy the assembly you need, dont get a pair... and swap the lens. put the mineral spirits in the other room haha problem solved.[/QUOTE

the mineral spirits is on both lol just in the corner of one. and i dont trust myself swapping the lens because i messed up the seal on them lol i had to over silicone them just to drive it haha
Old 02-06-13, 07:01 AM
thughes
Rookie

the mineral spirits is on both lol just in the corner of one. and i dont trust myself swapping the lens because i messed up the seal on them lol i had to over silicone them just to drive it haha
Fun Fact: In order to get the bulb connector (which is attached to the ballast) out of the headlight and into the new one, you'll have to remove the reflector.......which requires you to open them to access the screws. I am afraid there is no way around it unless you break the reflector. Or someone else on the forum decides to chime in with a better suggestion.

What kind of silicone did you use? I used all purpose stuff from walmart, holds pretty dang good. no leaks, i used a lot, and then once it dried i went around the outside of it to really seal it off. (clear silicone)
Old 02-06-13, 05:01 PM
birdman299
Rookie

Fun Fact: In order to get the bulb connector (which is attached to the ballast) out of the headlight and into the new one, you'll have to remove the reflector.......which requires you to open them to access the screws. I am afraid there is no way around it unless you break the reflector. Or someone else on the forum decides to chime in with a better suggestion.

What kind of silicone did you use? I used all purpose stuff from walmart, holds pretty dang good. no leaks, i used a lot, and then once it dried i went around the outside of it to really seal it off. (clear silicone)
used like a $9 exterior clear from lowes haha
Old 02-11-13, 02:15 PM
gs3is3hndo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah go on Ebay and find yourself a set, there are numerous, different sellers but majority of them come from the same manufacturers and they usually go for $250 to 350 for the set. I've ordered them since ebay came our in the 90's for most of my previous cars and I've never had issues with them. (watch out for the ones that come with "halos" or "angel eyes"...they don't last long. Good luck
Old 02-17-13, 09:58 AM
Jdm2jzgte
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlights

Hey man I have some oem headlights for sale lmk I'm asking 240