IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

What don't you like about the IS300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 07:10 AM
2broke2mod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What don't you like about the IS300?

I'm seen a couple people looking into buying an IS300 and I am in the same boat. I drove my friends and now I have spent the last week all over forums and looking up parts for these cars. I have never owned one, so I would like to know from the people that own/drive one everyday what don't you like about the IS300? I'm looking more model specific appose to what you don't like about YOUR car.
Old 12-20-12, 10:03 AM
2jzRWD4me
Rookie

when you lower them alot the UCA's up front hit the strut towers sometimes. That can be fixed with higher spring rate springs on your coilovers though.

The cars arent boosted OEM
Old 12-20-12, 12:40 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

exactly what ^^ said.. and i thought my mpg would be higher but eh. i get about 19-21mpg depending on how i drive. Another thing i hate about the car is that when u decide to go turbo, it cost an arm and a leg... other than that i love my car.
Old 12-20-12, 04:24 PM
Nissanfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mpg vs lack of power of this car. Pretty anything will pass you by, yet mpg is not even decent, especially when you choose to actually floor it a little. Cars that came with suede/leather combo. It gets dirty quick, hard to maintain, especially beige color. Premium fuel. Quick depreciation value. I bought mine cheap, yet when i noticed window sticker from when it was new, it called out for $35,000, waayy too much, keep in mind it was 2001, so value of our $ was much higher too. Auto tranny sucks, wish there were more manuals for sale. Other than that, nothing major, ride comfort is ok, suspension is ok. If you find one decently priced, it's a great deal for money, considering corollas run in that price range. So go figure.
Old 12-20-12, 07:26 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I love mine IS300 and I am thinking of getting another one to leave basically stock, for autocrossing.( I will not sell current one, just will add more mods, maybe even turbo !) Besides having the stock six disc CD changer break three times, which you basically can't get anymore, ( get a aftermarket unit) any of the problems I have had is because of my driving or lowering the car to much.
Old 12-21-12, 07:55 AM
CyR
Driver School Candidate

hate my mpg's, the factory styling is a bit subdued and hard to find good accessories for, as far as looking more agressive. also, the radio thing, and the fact that it's expensive just to replace with an aftermarket one. otherwise i love my car.

...and the taillights...chrome...i think other people think i chose to put them on there...ugh. lol
Old 12-21-12, 05:08 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

If you want factory power look else where. you want a fun ride do little mods to and enjoy, the 300 all the way my favorite car I've owned
Old 12-22-12, 09:14 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO way, I love IS300 more more morree then ISX50 and any new Lexus model?? Why cuz my fiancee and I own IS300 for 6 years and never had any problem.. My IS250 have so many recalls and lack of interior like no double DIN upgrade.... That's doesnt sound good to me.. I should buy LS400, LS430 or IS300 instead new Lexus model... We dont have IS300 because a stupid guy rear ended our favorite IS300.. The insurance told me the car was totalled... UGH, I work as LExus Tech.. I hate working on new Lexus because the quality suck and poor engine design
Old 12-24-12, 10:52 PM
2jzRWD4me
Rookie

I love my car besides little problems that I caused by being low and natural age issues. I am lucky enough to have an O4 manual sport design with OEM LSD black on black. I have put 70k on my car and the only money I've spent on maintenance was for my 90k timing belt/ water pump change ect. I get about 32 MPG on 91 Octane with my header and no cats going 70 mph on the freeway and about 23 in town cause I keep my foot in it alot The quality is great for the price and I love the 2jz even it its non turbo....I suggest finding a good powerdyne style super charger kit if you want a bit more power... 300WHP is easily made with stock fuel system on stock internals. ...you keep you foot out of it you MPG won't suffer much either.
Old 12-25-12, 08:41 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Only real downside is the lack of power... these things are turds stock... Except for the LSD rear in some models, everything in the driveline needs to be replaced / modified to handle real power...
Old 12-25-12, 11:01 AM
2jzRWD4me
Rookie

I agree with ^^^ . but on the bright side you can buy one and upgrade that stuff for a much lower price tag than an M3 or comparable sports sedan. IS300+ coils + sways ect + SC or TC is still less than and M3 with 300ish hp and its a 2jz so it will go FOREVER if you maintain it.
Old 12-25-12, 05:02 PM
IS*Supra
Driver School Candidate

I hate my stock radio lol the cd player doesn't work and they say to change the deck u gotta change all the speakers. so that blows!
Old 12-25-12, 07:07 PM
2broke2mod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS*Supra
I hate my stock radio lol the cd player doesn't work and they say to change the deck u gotta change all the speakers. so that blows!
I've heard this from a few people and most of the ISs' I've looked at the cd player either doesn't work or they put an aftermarket one in. Personally I like the look of stock unit in there or a nice touchscreen. Double din just looks tacky to me
Old 12-28-12, 10:12 PM
02blue5spd
Driver School Candidate

i have had mine for around 3 years only thing i can say is mpg is not good even with a light foot, power is under par but not horrible, over time window switches start to get sticky in hot weather, rear side makers wiring hangs down and will burn on exhaust if u dont pay attention, random noises over time, and age
Old 12-29-12, 10:05 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I love mine. Other than the soso mileage (keep in mind this is a late 90s era car and technology) and the lack of rear folding seats, I have no complaints. She handles like a dream, is reliable, and looks great. More power would be nice though I've never felt it lacking for passing or other everyday driving situations.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about the IS300?