IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Taking the Plunge to TURBO...

Old 12-10-12, 07:50 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the Plunge to TURBO...

So I have had my '01 IS300 about 6 years, and have wanted to boost it since, well...day 1.
Apparently this process has been long delayed as I have had a bunch of job changes, moves, marriage, etc, etc, etc... Long story short, I have FINALLY ordered my kit and will be getting it installed hopefully in about 6 weeks. It's a full custom kit - the goal is 400 rwhp. All said and done, I have been buying parts for a month straight and the bank roll is getting thin. I just have a few questions as I didn't find anything too specific on this type of build on here when I searched.

1. Is it really THAT beneficial to have a 3" catback over a 60mm? The guy at the place I will be getting it dynoed at said it was crucial to have a full 3" system. The issue there is that I am having no luck finding ANY manufacturers that sell a 3" catback for my car. Also, I have a 60mm catback currently, and am satisfied with it thus far. Anyway, who makes a 3" catback and where can I get the best price on one?

2. Is the auto trans on our cars really good to 600hp? I have read that they are, but none of the prophets stated clear facts such as "My 500hp auto has run great for 80,000 miles!" The sites read more like "I knew a girl who said her boyfriend said his IS was automatic and 500hp. He said it ran fine..." Any feedback from an actual 500hp auto IS300 owner?

3. Can our differentials/rear axle assemblies handle a 400rwhp launch on drag radials without snapping or flying into pieces? Just curious cuz I am thinking of getting some drag radials and takin 'er to the track eventually.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I will post some new pics of my car after my hood/spoiler/coilovers/turbo are on it! Anyone who wants to chime in on my build feel welcome. I know I am kinda new here but I will be around.
Old 12-10-12, 11:15 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by slorider
So I have had my '01 IS300 about 6 years, and have wanted to boost it since, well...day 1.
Apparently this process has been long delayed as I have had a bunch of job changes, moves, marriage, etc, etc, etc... Long story short, I have FINALLY ordered my kit and will be getting it installed hopefully in about 6 weeks. It's a full custom kit - the goal is 400 rwhp. All said and done, I have been buying parts for a month straight and the bank roll is getting thin. I just have a few questions as I didn't find anything too specific on this type of build on here when I searched.

1. Is it really THAT beneficial to have a 3" catback over a 60mm? The guy at the place I will be getting it dynoed at said it was crucial to have a full 3" system. The issue there is that I am having no luck finding ANY manufacturers that sell a 3" catback for my car. Also, I have a 60mm catback currently, and am satisfied with it thus far. Anyway, who makes a 3" catback and where can I get the best price on one?

2. Is the auto trans on our cars really good to 600hp? I have read that they are, but none of the prophets stated clear facts such as "My 500hp auto has run great for 80,000 miles!" The sites read more like "I knew a girl who said her boyfriend said his IS was automatic and 500hp. He said it ran fine..." Any feedback from an actual 500hp auto IS300 owner?

3. Can our differentials/rear axle assemblies handle a 400rwhp launch on drag radials without snapping or flying into pieces? Just curious cuz I am thinking of getting some drag radials and takin 'er to the track eventually.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I will post some new pics of my car after my hood/spoiler/coilovers/turbo are on it! Anyone who wants to chime in on my build feel welcome. I know I am kinda new here but I will be around.
You will have to go with a FULL CUSTOM 3 Inch set up. A Catback system will not work as you shouldnt have cats to begin with. Turbos need to breath or else..

The auto trans is good for 450rwhp with the VB Upgrade. Recommended to do a full build on it if you plan on going past that.

Yes our diffs should be fine for a launch at the power lvls you're looking at. Im currently at 308 to the wheels and the only thing giving out on me right now is my clutch.
Old 12-11-12, 03:45 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redline.gT
You will have to go with a FULL CUSTOM 3 Inch set up. A Catback system will not work as you shouldnt have cats to begin with. Turbos need to breath or else..

The auto trans is good for 450rwhp with the VB Upgrade. Recommended to do a full build on it if you plan on going past that.

Yes our diffs should be fine for a launch at the power lvls you're looking at. Im currently at 308 to the wheels and the only thing giving out on me right now is my clutch.
Sweet. Thanks so much for the piece of mind. I originally posted "launch" but then realized that with an auto, I won't be dumping a clutch so the huge drag tires might not even help at all. I am doing a valve body upgrade and a trans oil cooler to help it all I can, but yes this info is very helpful. As far as your clutch goes, I know ACT makes excellent stuff. Whatever you do, however, don't get a 6-puck or anything but a solid disc unless you like chatter and a grabby clutch. Just my 2 cents on my past experience with heavy clutches. I will take my car to the exhaust shop and see what we can do. Thx again.
Old 12-11-12, 03:48 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Oh and I say "catback" cuz that's where the turbo downpipe ends, right where the factory cat used to. So I really just need a catback to finish 'er up. But no, no cats will be on the new system.
Old 12-12-12, 11:53 PM
acl99
Rookie

Any exhaust shop should be able to put together a 3 inch exhaust at a reasonable price for you.
Old 12-17-12, 05:08 AM
FOOBER2
Rookie

Just another option for you. SRT makes a 3" exhaust at a pretty reasonable price for the section you're looking for.

Your diff and axels will be fine. Cars have run 10s and 11s on them.
Old 12-17-12, 07:33 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FOOBER2
Just another option for you. SRT makes a 3" exhaust at a pretty reasonable price for the section you're looking for.

Your diff and axels will be fine. Cars have run 10s and 11s on them.
I saw this recently. It does not look a whole lot better than what my exhaust shop can do for me for a fraction of the price tho. Also, not wild about the muffler with that system. Does anyone have a vid of this exhaust so I can hear it maybe? Thanks for the info, all.
Old 12-20-12, 07:00 AM
2broke2mod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acl99
Any exhaust shop should be able to put together a 3 inch exhaust at a reasonable price for you.
I would do this, Then you can make sure everything is the way you like it and fits perfect to your setup. I don't know what they go for from a shop but it can't be a much.
Old 12-20-12, 09:28 AM
thatPOLISH
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a stockish lookin 3' catback made up for mine a few weeks ago at mineke for 160 bought the mangnaflow muffler on ebay for 60 and a 30 dollar crome tip to finish her off this was befor the tip got put on
Old 01-29-15, 05:02 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Just an update so this thread may actually help others in the future. I went with the SRT 2.75 Turbo kit and got the 3" exhaust. Came with a Vibrant muffler that sounds awesome. Keep in mind that I paid $600 for this exhaust, I could've had a custom one built for $500 by a guy who apparently is a genius. Here follows my review of the SRT exhaust.
Pro:
Sounds great, however I am pretty sure the 2JZ sounds good REGARDLESS.
Cons:
1. Comes with some bs coupler....like a clamp sleeve. Had to get it welded so it didn't leak. Hardware, overall, seemed cheap. Hangers didn't line up , either. Had to be bent. One had to be removed and re-attached to work.
2. Welds are ok. They were left as bare metal, so they will rust.
3. Exhaust hangs WAAAAAY too low. Had the car lowered for years and never had speed bump scraping...until this exhaust. It literally hung an inch lower than my H-frame which was way lower than anything else on the car.
I'm pretty sure that SRT is raping everyone and using as cheap materials/workmanship as possible. The kit came with a JOURNAL-BEARING turbo!! Bearing wore out after not even 1000 miles at 410 whp. 800 hp? Riiiiiight.

Anyway the exhaust works, but I wish I would have had my friend's exhaust guy do it, as funny as that sounds. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 02-02-15, 08:57 AM
Gvegaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acl99
This is what i would do as well. Good post though. Personally i would never boost the 2jzge. Good Luck
Old 02-04-15, 09:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slorider
I'm pretty sure that SRT is raping everyone and using as cheap materials/workmanship as possible. The kit came with a JOURNAL-BEARING turbo!! Bearing wore out after not even 1000 miles at 410 whp. 800 hp? Riiiiiight.

Journal bearing is fine. I make 650 whp and beat the heck out of mine pretty often. That doesn't mean the quality of it is good or bad though.

They use some shady stuff in their kits - ebay wastegates, manifolds, etc
Old 02-08-15, 07:26 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Don't do it!
Old 02-08-15, 07:27 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

In my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide. Love these 1st gen IS cars.
Old 02-22-15, 06:33 PM
slorider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Journal bearing is fine. I make 650 whp and beat the heck out of mine pretty often. That doesn't mean the quality of it is good or bad though.

They use some shady stuff in their kits - ebay wastegates, manifolds, etc
The SRT kit was good parts, but unrealistic claims as far as hp goes. I fried mine when a high-boost run decided to detonate my rings lol. Anyway journal bearings save $800 in a turbo, and that's what SRT is all about - charging top dollar for cheap parts. I randomly only got 4 plugs and had issues with the install, but overal the kit is okay on quality. The exhaust manifold isn't eBay, nor is the Tial wastegate/bov, but they do not make sense to put on the EMS the kit comes with. No VVTI control OR traction control anymore?? What the heck?!?! Anyway the kit claims 800whp. Maybe I had a boost spike on a cold run that night, but who knows? Precision said my journal bearing was toast so I got a ball bearing installed in it...good for 1000hp now lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking the Plunge to TURBO...