IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

HELP!! Noise Coming From Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 05:52 PM
JSAP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Noise Coming From Glove Box

When I put in my key and turn to accessories, I hear a loud motoring noise coming from behind the glove box and climate control area. The noise goes on for maybe 15-20 seconds then goes away. Also when I adjust the climate sometimes it happens too. Any insight? Perhaps it is "servo" unit?
Old 12-06-12, 06:55 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I have the exact same problem. Here's the deal. It is part of the climate control system. It's what controls the output of the air. I currently have mine set to windshield and it will stay there. If I try to change it it buzzes for a while and will not change. Then randomly it will sometimes start blowing out the front vents and buzzes. You will also notice after you turn off your car it will also start buzzing. It takes several minutes after the key is off to start buzzing. I have found that if I turn it back on before this is done it tends to redirect the air to the vents, buzzes and wont change back. After several attempts of it apparently trying to go back where I have it set it will stay there and quit buzzing. Every time it buzzes it lasts about 15 to 20 seconds just like you say. If I actually set it to vent output it the air will be directed there but it will buzz every time I turn it on. I also noticed that the **** that controls the fan speed will screw it up as well. If you set that one to AUTO it can redirect the air to the vent and buzz! I need it set to windshield this time of year in PA but when summer comes I am gonna have to listen to I buzz every time if I want it to come out of the vents. And here's the good news. The guy I bought the car off of said his mechanic would charge about $800 to fix it!! The motor is about 300 and about 500 in labor because there is a large amount of work in taking all the dash apart. Any questions?
Old 12-08-12, 12:25 AM
JSAP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Messy
LOL I have the exact same problem. Here's the deal. It is part of the climate control system. It's what controls the output of the air. I currently have mine set to windshield and it will stay there. If I try to change it it buzzes for a while and will not change. Then randomly it will sometimes start blowing out the front vents and buzzes. You will also notice after you turn off your car it will also start buzzing. It takes several minutes after the key is off to start buzzing. I have found that if I turn it back on before this is done it tends to redirect the air to the vents, buzzes and wont change back. After several attempts of it apparently trying to go back where I have it set it will stay there and quit buzzing. Every time it buzzes it lasts about 15 to 20 seconds just like you say. If I actually set it to vent output it the air will be directed there but it will buzz every time I turn it on. I also noticed that the **** that controls the fan speed will screw it up as well. If you set that one to AUTO it can redirect the air to the vent and buzz! I need it set to windshield this time of year in PA but when summer comes I am gonna have to listen to I buzz every time if I want it to come out of the vents. And here's the good news. The guy I bought the car off of said his mechanic would charge about $800 to fix it!! The motor is about 300 and about 500 in labor because there is a large amount of work in taking all the dash apart. Any questions?
http://my.is/forums/f87/help-small-m...hboard-399653/

I'm looking into DIY. Hopefully I'm able to. I'll keep you posted. Gotta save you that $800
Old 12-09-12, 03:01 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea thanks for posting that vid. It helped me a lot!! Turns out it is the one that controls where the air is going just like I thought. The fresh/recirc and the hot/cold servos work fine. Lucky for me mine is the easiest to get to. For now I have it unplugged so it will always stay on windshield and I will never have to hear that awful noise again!! When summer comes I will get it to go to front vents and unplug it again!!! I may try to take it out and repair it of maybe just change it. I believe it about $140 new. I would not trust putting in a used one. Not sure why the previous owners guy said it would be $800...seems really high. He acted like the whole dashboard had to be taken apart. If this "froggy" guy in the vid can get the one in the back out I'm pretty sure I can manage to get the easy one out. Did you find out which one is bad in yours? I hope you can get it out and repair it. Let us know how it goes.