03 is300 navi swap??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 01:14 AM
skunnyss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 is300 navi swap??

Hello all,

This is my first post on CL, I just bought my first Lexus 2 days ago...black on black 2003 is300 with a 5 speed manual. A nice upgrade from my 97 Nissan Maxima with a 5 speed.

So my question is this: I think aftermarket navi screens in the space where the stock stereo resides is a bit cheesy. I really would like to see if it's possible to buy a dash kit from a wrecked is that has a stock navi, and swap it with my stock non navigation equipped dash.

Would this be possible? Any idea how much it might run me after parts and labor? Any tips and ideas where to get this done would be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm in the bay area in California, right outside San Francisco.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-30-12, 02:44 AM
chasep
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I was curious about swapping in an OEM navigation not long after I got my IS. What I found was that most people suggest putting an aftermarket touchscreen navigation in an OEM navigation housing. Going this route is still fairly expensive. The OEM Nav housing with the ability to open and close was around $750 when I was looking and you will still need to buy an aftermarket nav unit.

There are so many components to the OEM navigation system that unless you have access to a car that is getting parted out, it would be too much of a hassle.

I don't want to discourage you too much. Anything is possible. Just be aware that installing the factory Nav will be both time consuming and fairly expensive.
Old 11-18-12, 09:05 AM
Nissanfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chasep
I was curious about swapping in an OEM navigation not long after I got my IS. What I found was that most people suggest putting an aftermarket touchscreen navigation in an OEM navigation housing. Going this route is still fairly expensive. The OEM Nav housing with the ability to open and close was around $750 when I was looking and you will still need to buy an aftermarket nav unit.

There are so many components to the OEM navigation system that unless you have access to a car that is getting parted out, it would be too much of a hassle.

I don't want to discourage you too much. Anything is possible. Just be aware that installing the factory Nav will be both time consuming and fairly expensive.

Not really, I picked up a whole NAVi set up for $300, with half of the wiring. It's possible, with diagrams, but after seeing update for $100+, i said forget it and started working on putting StreetPilot 7200 in the oem housing.