IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

need help guys, she wont start up (turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 11:02 PM
CestRocks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help guys, she wont start up (turbo)

whats up everyone, first and foremost i wanna start by saying ive done research and it really hasn't helped much, so im praying that someone has had the probelms im having or something close to them and can help guide me into a direction i may have overlooked or something, before i give up and send her out to another shop.

2001 Lexus IS300, has a little over 112k, e shift, aem fic. Recently had a turbo kit installed along with arp head stud kit, tt supra head gasket, supra injectors, resistor box, trans cooler, walbro 255, replaced oem parts that needed to be replaced for boost, slim fans, and im sure im forgeting a thing or two but they dont come to mind right now....

Sooooooo all the labor was done and the kit was put on along with all the extra stuff at a friends shop, and with the help of a fellow MY.IS member (rising_sun) the car started up at the shop with a quick tune to get home with, just until he can come back out and tune it more thoroughly, car ran good for the most part, a little rough but she still moved and turned on no problem.

A few hours later i decided to go get some food and on the drive over she died out on me, i couldnt figure out what the problem was but i had a gut feeling it was a fuel problem, so i messed with the fuel pump and the relay and boom she started back up so i drove her straight home and didnt touch her until i saw my buddy, once we got together we hit the highway and she was running good, he jumped in and started doing his street tune magic and the car ran GRREEAATT !!

Now on the way home from tuning and hanging out, my speedo stopped moving as i was obviously giving it gas, there was absolutely no response and she died on me again, wouldnt start back up for anything at all, parked it and got it towed to my house where my friend TJ Millz and I started changing the valve cover again (since the dudes at the shop didn't tighten it down enough and oil got into my spark plugs) and we also changed the coil packs and double checked the connections to everything... it looked fine

Once we put everything back together SHE FINALLY STARTED BACK UP !!
BUT WOULD DIE BACK OUT EVERY TIME AFTER ABOUT 4 SECONDS !!
and once again barley getting any gas at all ( i do hear the fuel pump being active too ) so right now im at a stand still (wish i were doing it in my car instead ) and i dont know which direction to go in, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated at this point guys and i thank you for reading this long thread.
Old 08-17-12, 08:20 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go standalone, The OEM computer is fighting back.
Old 08-17-12, 08:45 AM
Lextrd016
Driver

What's the wideband doing? When it's starts and idling? Mine did that but 4 months after I got it boosted I had a clean up tune and cleaned my sensors..
Old 08-17-12, 11:55 AM
CestRocks
Rookie

Originally Posted by DINH300
Go standalone, The OEM computer is fighting back.
good point bro, we think it may be something with the ecu giving up or something, i need to find me a ecu to borrow and do some tests see if that really is the problem, thanks bro
Old 08-17-12, 11:56 AM
CestRocks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lextrd016
What's the wideband doing? When it's starts and idling? Mine did that but 4 months after I got it boosted I had a clean up tune and cleaned my sensors..
the wideband reads the info and everything.... the problem is when she'd start she wouldnt idle and die back out....
Old 08-17-12, 12:37 PM
Lextrd016
Driver

Originally Posted by CestRocks
the wideband reads the info and everything.... the problem is when she'd start she wouldnt idle and die back out....
sounds like a Ecu problem defiantly look into a full standalone my AEM hasn't give any major issues.. Good luck let us know what was the problem
Old 08-17-12, 02:07 PM
CestRocks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lextrd016
sounds like a Ecu problem defiantly look into a full standalone my AEM hasn't give any major issues.. Good luck let us know what was the problem
will do thank you bro !
Old 08-17-12, 05:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

it should still start... are you getting any engine rpm on the dash at all?

sounds like the shop kinda hacked the install man... I'd hate to even start to guess what the issue is...

what are you running for management?

is the fuel system modded for a return style or did you keep it returnless?

I had no serious issues running an emanage on my car for months before I decided that AEM was the only way to go and had money for it (more money than anything), so it shouldn't just not start...
Old 08-17-12, 06:02 PM
solow97
Driver School Candidate

Sounds sort of like a grounding issue
Old 08-17-12, 11:37 PM
CestRocks
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
it should still start... are you getting any engine rpm on the dash at all?

sounds like the shop kinda hacked the install man... I'd hate to even start to guess what the issue is...

what are you running for management?

is the fuel system modded for a return style or did you keep it returnless?

I had no serious issues running an emanage on my car for months before I decided that AEM was the only way to go and had money for it (more money than anything), so it shouldn't just not start...
i wish she did start but she doesn't, the times shes did start up it would idle for about 4 seconds and die out again and again, for management I'm running an aem fic and its running a walbro fuel pump
Old 08-17-12, 11:38 PM
CestRocks
Rookie

Originally Posted by solow97
Sounds sort of like a grounding issue
can you get into a little more detail with that bro sounds interesting...
Old 08-18-12, 01:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Technically runneve for even 4 seconds is still starting, it just doesn't stay running - two very different things... the fact that it does actually start rules out a few things even...

Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes are displayed? What does your air/fuel gauge show? Is the FIC getting a stable sensor signal? The way the fic works is that it gives the stock computer a false signal for cam and crank, thus altering ignition timing... you didn't answer my question about the fuel line and if it was return style or not, if it is return style, what is your fuel pressure doing as the car starts and dies? Might be worthwhile to do a compression test to make sure the motor isn't hurt...
Old 08-18-12, 08:39 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CestRocks
It sounds to me like the car is trying to relearn from the feed back from the O2 sensors so your car doesn't idle right and it shuts off. We had this issue when we were running a e-mange. Unplug all the O2 sensors that are plugged to the stock computer and only leave the wideband plugged in and retune the car. that way the car doesn't get feed back from the O2 sensor.
Old 08-18-12, 08:48 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Technically runneve for even 4 seconds is still starting, it just doesn't stay running - two very different things... the fact that it does actually start rules out a few things even...

Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes are displayed? What does your air/fuel gauge show? Is the FIC getting a stable sensor signal? The way the fic works is that it gives the stock computer a false signal for cam and crank, thus altering ignition timing... you didn't answer my question about the fuel line and if it was return style or not, if it is return style, what is your fuel pressure doing as the car starts and dies? Might be worthwhile to do a compression test to make sure the motor isn't hurt...
The Wideband doesn't have enough time to warm to give a reading. The only code that appears is TPS related and he is still returnless.
Old 08-18-12, 08:49 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DINH300
It sounds to me like the car is trying to relearn from the feed back from the O2 sensors so your car doesn't idle right and it shuts off. We had this issue when we were running a e-mange. Unplug all the O2 sensors that are plugged to the stock computer and only leave the wideband plugged in and retune the car. that way the car doesn't get feed back from the O2 sensor.
I've tried unplugging the o2s but it hasn't helped the situation.

Quick Reply: need help guys, she wont start up (turbo)