IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2jzgte swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 11:54 AM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzgte swap

So i got a 2jzgte vvti out of an aristo and im looking to put it into my IS 300. Ive read a ton of forums about the install and i have a proffesional helping me out on the whole swap. I understand its going to be a bit of a nitemare but its gonna be fun. Gotta few questions though that i cant seem to find answers to anywhere on the internet.

1. Im not swapping the transmission at the moment. It is a 5 speed and eventually i plan on going to the r154 but not at the moment. Heres the question though. I am going to upgrade the clutch being as the one i have on the car is the oem clutch i figure now is a good time to do it. Obviously doing the swap the 2jz and the 2jzgte are pretty close to the same on the outside.... Do i order a clutch for my transmission or do i order it for the aristo engine? And are the clutches the same on both cars the IS 300 and the Aristo?

2. How much power will the IS300 tranny be able to take? Right now i plan on keepin the stock boost and eventually putting a boost cut controller on it and maybe bumping it up to 17psi. Will the tranny be able to accept that kind of power or should i go for the r154 tranny? And if so what all mods do i need to do to make the r154 tranny fit. I ve read some thing about having to put the 1jz bellhousing on it but will this also require a custom driveshaft? or any custom hydraulic tubing or anything like that?

3. Along with the clutch im swapping the flywheel while i have the aristo motor sitting on a pallet. That being said.. same question as number 1 pretty much.

4. One problem im having is that I cant seem to find performance parts for the aristo. Can find tons for the supra. But the supra has the non-vvti engine where the aristo has the vvti engine. Is there a big difference on these 2 motors? I know the non-vvti 2jzgte has different engine mounts but thats bout all ive read about it. Ordering flywheels, clutches, throttle bodies, intakes etc... any performance part i need is becoming a pain in the *** to find if i put in that key word aristo lol. Ive done a lot of car repair before and a few engine swaps but this will be my first engine swap this detailed. Any information yall have would be greatly appreciated. My biggest problem at the moment is im in the UK. Got 8 months left before i come back to texas, so alot of the parts places in the states wanna take 2 months to get me parts and im tryin to get this done sooner than next year lol. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-12, 06:24 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you bought an expensive engine you know nothing about thats already in your car and have a mechanic who dosnt know these things with out having to think..... Your in for a world of hurt and have Tons of research to do lol

Ill give you some tips
Your stock tranny is garbage and will not hold 300hp long so you pretty much cant use it especially with the stock clutch.

Get the R154, 1JZ soarer r154 bellhousing $350, 1JZ flywheel $300, clutch kit for R154 $500, Shifter housing extension $250, Marlin crawler speed adapter, Supra Tranny mount $85, Supra steel braided clutch line $65, Possible OEM Rebuild kit, Possible Short shifter $300. = Driftmotion.com

You want to upgrade to a single turbo now because the stock twins are big and dont want to fit with out modding and moving things

You'll need your IS300 oil pan

If your GTE motor has a huge fan on it you'll need to upgrade that

You want a Greddy EMU piggy back atleast or an AEM standalone as a computer

Last edited by dsouthmia0; 06-22-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 06:37 AM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

i guess you didnt read the post. Ive done tons of research. Wanting to know a few basic things on the motor is pretty normal. I know everything i have to do to get it to fit in the car... the question was about the flywheel and clutch. For now i plan on using the stock tranny as the original motor has 220 hp im sure itll handle the stock 2jzgte hp of 280 for now. Thanks for your input on the matter. You told me everything i already knew lol. Still didn't answer the question i asked though. Fitting the engine in the car isn't a big deal either with the stock twins. The only thing that has to be moved is the abs controller which has already been moved so its not a big deal.
Old 06-22-12, 07:22 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

If you do buy a clutch get one for the IS300 tranny if thats the one your using, I would get the 1Jz flywheel now. The R154 (when you use it) would be for 1990 supra

The aristo motor and yours are pretty much the same except for a few things. I just used the internals out of ur motor and dropped in cams. alot of money in a swap to get 280hp than have to tear it down again for more

are you merging the 2 harnesses? if you do that you may need a complete new one when adding an ECU

Last edited by dsouthmia0; 06-22-12 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 08:54 AM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

yah we are merging the 2 harnesses and using the aristo ecu for now. The problem is for now that im in the UK. And im only here for another 8 months. Once i get back in the states i will be doing some more to it but getting the engine was the first big step. The rest will come later. Iam not tryin to push 800hp outta this motor. Maybe 450 tops i still use this car as a daily driver. So im not trying to go ***** to the wall with it. I appreciate the feedback. In the future i do plan to do more but for now between work, a deployment coming up soon and ex wife issues i just dont have the time to go crazy with this motor. We got bot the ecu and wiring harness for the aristo. Right now the only upgrades im doing.. are the new timing belt, front mount intercooler, blow off valve, boost gauge, high flow cat, clutch, flywheel, engine mounts. Eventually i will be swapping out the turbos and possibly ripping apart the motor for better internals but that will be long down the road. Once im back in texas. Through all the reading ive done ive found almost nothing to do with the tranny. Most people do the swap to the r154 or if they dont they dont go into detail on any modifications neccesary to the is300 tranny. The mechanic seems to know what hes doing and ill be there every step of the way. I'd be doing all this myself but being military and overseas i got no garage, no tools , no nothing lol. Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-22-12, 11:02 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

There's nothing to do to the W55 tranny that's in there, not buildable not even with big $$$. That's why everyone switches. If you put 300hp on any clutch through its done. Other than that you sound like you can get up an running stock no problem.

And you won't ever need internals, yours will handle 800hp pretty well. That's why I put them in my car, future 700hp
Old 06-22-12, 12:58 PM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

rodge very good to know... thats what everyone seems to bbe doing on the net.. is putting in a boost cut controller.. bumping the psi up to 17-20 psi on the stocks or going single turbo and going higher. So soon as i get back to the states first step is gettin that tranny. ill talk to the mechanic and see if he knows where to get one .. he found this aristo motor pretty quick.
Old 06-22-12, 03:07 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

I'm sure if he can merge a harness he can handle everything else. A good supra R154 seem to be going for around $700 now days or $500 if you can get lucky. The soarer r154's off the 1Js are about $1000 but I like the Supra model
Old 06-27-12, 11:27 AM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

tons of research later and trying to get some parts ordered before we pull the motor. Im still trying to figure out the situation on the clutch / flywheel. We were hoping to get the flywheel and clutch ordered before pulling the motor but we both have been doing tons of research and come up with almost nothing. So the flywheel between the 2jzgte and 2jzge are they the same size? will the interchange basically. As well as the non-vvti and vvti engines is the block built different at all. I know the engine mounts are different but thats the only thing ive read about the 2. Just wondering if i order a flywheel for a supra will it fit or will i be wasting my time? I have talked to people at both lexus and toyota dealerships they can give me no answers. And when i mentioned aristo they were baffled. I hung up the phone at that point. The problem is finding a flywheel /clutch for aristo is almost non existent. Anyone know? As well as i am still mounting this to the w55 from the lexus. For now that is. Worst case scenario is we pull both motors and find out later than sooner. which is fine 2 i just like to be ahead of the game.
Old 06-27-12, 03:28 PM
Lextrd016
Driver

I have a w-55 on my Is300 now i have been running on boost 14psi 370hp going on 9 months I haven't had an issue but I really don't push the car that hard I also have a R154 in my garage ready to go when this w-55 goes I wish I would have done the r-154 from the start so when I do go over 400hp I wouldn't have to worry about the labor but yeah really reccomend doing all in one shot with the r-154
Old 06-27-12, 03:37 PM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

well id like to but on a time constraint atm. once i get back to texas ill be doing that swap. Did you have to do any mods to the tranny or anything to get it to mount up to the 2jzgte? And do you have the vvti or non vvti? as well did you keep the stock clutch and flywheel?
Old 06-27-12, 03:47 PM
Lextrd016
Driver

Originally Posted by wurm109
well id like to but on a time constraint atm. once i get back to texas ill be doing that swap. Did you have to do any mods to the tranny or anything to get it to mount up to the 2jzgte? And do you have the vvti or non vvti? as well did you keep the stock clutch and flywheel?
Sorry dude I have a 2jzge stock is motor was going to go with gte but too much work and for my hp goals my motor is fine with a lil internal work like lowering compression I hope u get the answer your looking for I will ask my mechanic when he come back out of town..
Old 06-27-12, 03:51 PM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

damn well appreciate it. Yah i was gonna go with just turboing the motor but to do it right it was gonna cost me about the same either way. Of course the route i went is more of a pain in the *** but itll be worth it in the end. Thanks for trying though
Old 06-28-12, 06:20 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Ill try telling you 1 more time.

You need a R154 1JZ FLYWHEEL!!! YES IT FITS STOCK TRANNY AND R154. I got mine off ebay.

Your 2J is almost the same as the rest except yours came with Turbo, better internals, oil squirters, and vvti. When you buy parts for it buy them from a newer Turbo supra or a boasted 2J motor. You builder should know this
Old 06-28-12, 06:42 AM
wurm109
Driver School Candidate

just wanted to be sure to get the right one is all. Noone was specific to if it fit both trannys or not. That was the only problem we were running into was what flywheel we were going to get. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: 2jzgte swap