IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My Is300 2001 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 12:47 PM
softhds1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasnt the rotors that rusted, it was the rotor hubs and they should not have rusted. That occured only in the 2001 and was taken care of by Lexus. The bent wheels were in my opinion a Lexus problem because it was caused by the use of the 1 ply sidewall tires which were recalled by Lexus. What upset me abou the wheels was that they told me they could not be repaired. I replaced two of them at 480 per wheel. I then found Wheels of America who repaired the next two at 105 each. They told me that Ralleye Lexus, my dealer who daid the wheels could not be repaired, is one of their best customers. There is no excuse for a service manager not coming to the phone. Ralleye lexus has not stood behind their product and I will post wherever I can to bring attention to this fact
Old 11-14-02, 09:43 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

i am sorry you have had a bad experience maybe trying another dealer will help.but remember you will get a better response if you are calm and collect.
Old 11-14-02, 11:33 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

bent rim and you wanna blame lexus? the recall on the tires was just for the 1 ply tires. and that was only for the cosmetics of the side wall. sounds like somebody doesnt know how to drive. either that or you took the car off road.
Old 11-14-02, 11:39 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by softhds1
The bent wheels were in my opinion a Lexus problem because it was caused by the use of the 1 ply sidewall tires which were recalled by Lexus.
I disagree, bent wheels where not caused by the 1 ply tires. I myself have bent two wheels and I have the 2 ply tires. And those tires never even bubbled on the sidewall when I smacked that deep pothole.
Old 11-15-02, 08:34 AM
softhds1
Driver School Candidate

You are missing the point with the rims. The rims are repairable, they dont have to be replaced. I was just stating the problems I have had with the car. The finish is a disaster, culminating in the ruin by Lexus when they tried to wet sand it
Old 11-17-02, 03:01 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

If you do decide to sue, Lexus will cave right under to save their reputation. However wonderful a Lexus might be, ANY car company can have a lemon. And however wonderful Lexus itself can be as a company, they're still a corporation, and they still think of their own interests first.

In response to the guy with the 98 Audi, I have a 97 Explorer Limited, it has 122,000 miles on it, since the warranty expired at 36,000 miles it has had almost $9,000 in repairs, $4500 of that has been since April of this year, and all of that is out of pocket. I had an extended warranty on it, that paid for a $67 thermostat, thats all. Now its gonna need upper ball joints and something scary is wrong with the brakes, not to mention it needs tires, and the transmission is starting to slip again (that was $2500 last time).
Old 11-17-02, 03:44 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SW03ES
If you do decide to sue, Lexus will cave right under to save their reputation.
Those days are over. I've seen many times Lexus aggressively defend themselves from lawsuits. Even with the BBB, if the customers concern does not diminish the value or safety of the car. They will not make Lexus buy it back, just fix it. Every arbitration is different. Depends on what the owner is arbitrating for. The owner has the right to accept or reject the BBB's decision. I can certainly see the BBB telling Lexus to repaint the car, and fix the radio. But not buy it back.

What were your demands when you went to the BBB Paul?
Old 11-17-02, 03:49 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by softhds1
You are missing the point with the rims. The rims are repairable, they dont have to be replaced. I was just stating the problems I have had with the car. The finish is a disaster, culminating in the ruin by Lexus when they tried to wet sand it
I did see your point. I would have been pissed too if my paint was ruined. My point was simply that I disagree with your conclusion that the wheels bent because you had 1 ply sidewall tires on. That's all. The recall was because the sidewall would easily bubble badly when pinched inbetween the ground and the rim when hitting a pothole.

Last edited by DevilDog; 11-17-02 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 06:33 PM
softhds1
Driver School Candidate

I asked the BBB to have either Lexus repaint the car, replace the car, or allow us to end the lease early. I was pissed with the wheels because they can be repaired and did not have to be replaced and my dealer was well aware of that. I called my dealer thursday, he will not come to the phone nor will he return my calls. He had promissed me a letter stating that I would not be held responsible for the paint problems at the end of the lease, but I cant even get that from him.
Old 11-17-02, 07:15 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

remember to be not such an *** when you talk to him if people are rude nobody will give you the time of day or just think now what and not take you seriously.it sounds like you need to mellow out some and relax a little if it is actually a problem from lexus they will take care of it.but if there is more to the story like from u or someone else messing up the paint and u are trying to get lexus to warranty it and they have called b.s i can also understand their point of view.as for the rims my dealer does not offer to repair rims you can go directly to a tire shop for that info.we have people that come in all of the time with bent rims from potholes and thats part of life when you have low profile tires,by the way they all had 2 ply tires.good luck and relax some if it is a lexus problem they will take care of you.
Old 11-18-02, 01:10 PM
softhds1
Driver School Candidate

It is very hard to be rude to the service manager since I have called him every day for the last 6 days and he has yet to return my call. I WONDER IF lEXUS READS THIS FORUM?
Old 11-18-02, 07:01 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

You can bet they do.
Old 11-19-02, 10:49 PM
SmokeyBurnout
Driver School Candidate

Default As I was saying

I quoted an unofficial source in my last rant about Lexus sales satisfaction slipping to third. It's worse than that. Here are the results from J.D. Power:

Top ten list from Power's sales satisfaction study. The list is based on more than 39,000 responses from buyers and lessees of 2001 and 2002 cars and trucks.

1) Saturn
2) Cadillac
3) Lincoln
4) Lexus
5) Jaguar
6) Mercedes-Benz
7) Volvo
8) Porsche
9) Mercury
10) Buick

Source: J.D. Power and Associates
Old 12-18-05, 06:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I'm just curious -- what happened at the end of the lease?