IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New Owner.... new member (here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 04:06 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner.... new member (here)

So... since this forum wouldn't let me have my usual name from the other forums (toyotaspeed90) I created somewhat of an homage to it. The old screen name was due to my 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 that I had (have, for now) and is a screen name about 12 years old.

If you recognize the screen name, then I'm probably sorry. If not, then.... well.... I'm new... here

I'm an active member on a few other forums (toyotanation, mr2oc, mr2board, hachiroku,net, and some others) and probably over the time I've had the AE92 (and other cars) probably somewhere in the realm of 20,000+ posts. Guess that's sad.

Joined here because on Saturday we picked up an '04 Lexus IS300, 5 speed, limited slip, black leather interior - everything but the nav unit. It's supposedly a "sportdesign"... has the 17" gunmetal wheels (12? spoke) and is sort of a silver color with blueish? hues in the metallic flake.

Made sure it was a 5 speed and had a limited slip rearend. That limited me to 2 choices in the state - and one seemed to pan out. I, however, believe this particular car was quite modified in the past. The clutch hydraulics seem quite stiff for only 111,000 miles but first gear doesn't like to go in quickly. Just realized yesterday that the fenders have been rolled even though it has the stock 17" sportdesign wheels.

We'll see how long it takes for me to modify it. So far the only car in my life that hasn't been modified is my wifes 2010 Corolla S 5 speed.

Currently we also have:
The ae92... quite modified with (never completed) sylvia S13 headlights, a custom 11.3:1 compresson smallport 7age, lots of suspension work.
The AW11... 1986 Toyota MR2 that is dubbed a "MK1.22" as it is one of only a few documented first gen MR2's to have a 2nd gen 5sfe/s54 swapped in (makes it a bit faster than a stock supercharged first gen MR2)
The 2010 Corolla S - bought it new and it has all of 12,000 miles on it (it's extremely babied)
The 1995 Ford Explorer, 4wd, 2" lift with custom shackes & v8 torsion bar swap (with TT) and 31" tires, lights, custom roof rack & basket (etc)

So looking forward to seeing what other IS owners are doing and seeing tips for getting some of the maintenance done that I'm sure it will need being that it's at 110,000 miles.
Old 04-30-12, 04:41 PM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome! I just picked up an IS300 on saturday also. 5-speed with the suede/leather seats. The body of the car needs a little love but that will come after some routine maintainence.
Any pics?
Old 05-01-12, 01:21 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

the only one I have is from my phone....

being that I have a photography company it's a bit... embarassing that's all I have:

did a little snooping yesterday.... I haven't really gone under the car.... it appears it has a stock rear swaybar for sure, it has what looks like a stock front bar but it is quite large.

The front brake pads have a hint of green to the backing plate - wondering if those might be EBC Green stuff (and hopefully hard braking involved is why the rotors feel a tad warped). Everything else seems to be completely stock.

I keep debating in my head..... if I want to autox it (in the event that the MR2 goes out, which I highly doubt at this point) then I'd like it to be in a stock class, I think.... but then I also think that as my DD I want it a bit lower and stiffer.
Old 05-01-12, 08:03 PM
Connvict
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty new as well! Just picked up an '01 with a GTE swap... Not the prettiest thing, but its a lot of fun
Old 05-02-12, 01:17 AM
FMLis300
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forums. Looks to be Thunder Cloud Metallic paint, so Sport Design for sure and with manual transmission and LSD, it looks like you did good.
Old 05-02-12, 12:52 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

well - I know my way around cars. buying this was sort of on the whim... but there were very specific things I wanted. If I'm gonna have a car payment for something I drive... it better be worth it. So far the choice has been good (other than driving in the rain with trac on seems to have the trac light flashing at me when I get a bit spirited)

The Camry wasn't doin' it for a fun DD (don't get me wrong, it was incredibly reliable) and the AW11 is really loud, bumpy, and the suspension settings (lots of caster/camber) cause it to eat through tires.

"thunder cloud"... interesting color name. I was trying to figure out what it was yesterday (went to a paint shop to get some touch up paint) and I couldn't find a paint ID anywhere in the doors.
Old 05-02-12, 09:02 PM
Motard
Driver School Candidate

Just recently picked up a 2001 MSM and love it! Best handling car I have ever owned, and I am on #15 or 16, loss count...Only wished it had a rear spoiler, sunroof, and a armrest, but still happy overall.
Old 05-03-12, 09:31 AM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

Well, this doesn't handle better than the current MR2 nor the supercharged MR2 I built.... but those are hard to beat in the handling department being mid-engined and all.

This IS300 is the best all-around daily driver I've had.... good power when I need it, ok gas mileage, and quite comfortable. The ride is more rough than I would expect from Lexus (most likely due to the thin sidewalls) but it's much better than some of the cars I've had including our 86 MR2.
Old 05-04-12, 12:03 PM
mrbananas
Driver

nice sport package!! I am thinking of repainting my car to that... We shall see tho!
Old 05-04-12, 02:13 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrbananas
nice sport package!! I am thinking of repainting my car to that... We shall see tho!
so what is entailed in this sport package?
Old 05-04-12, 02:20 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

and since this is sort of an introduction... I guess I can't not include other vehicles (though don't have anything of the explorer....)

the wife's '10 5 speed S:

the 86 MR2 (post engine swap)... ignore the arrows, I retrofitted a 2nd gen MR2 speedometer cable into the car as it was about 1/6th the cost of a first gen and was showing some routing to others:

All completely different wiring I did:

This isn't the most current photo of the car as it now has the complete front end from the 87 MR2 (sold the chasis as parts... and it had better fenders, hood, and newer bumper/valence so I swapped it all... it still needs paint

The 87 Supercharged MR2:

the last engine that went in:

it wasn't exactly high-end luxury inside:

The odd AE92... which is for sale with an 11.3:1 smallport 7age (anyone who knows old Toyota engines might even have to think about that one for a minute):

won't bor you guys with the other 8 or so MR2's plus other vehicle photos we've had recently (LOL)
Old 05-04-12, 02:59 PM
mrbananas
Driver

i mean sport design.... hahaha oops