IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 is300 Engine turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 08:40 AM
Chuck1906
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 is300 Engine turns over but won't start

I tried to start my 2002 is300 last night and it just turned over but never started. I thought it might be the battery so I tried to jump it and that didn't work. I called the guy that works on my car and he told me to check the Fuel Pump Fuse or the Fuel Pump Relay and see if that needs to be replaced or it could be the fuel pump filter. Now the relay is the square cartridge looking thing near the driver side headlamp in a fuse compartment box right? How do you remove it? I tried pulling up on it and it wouldn't budge. If what I am thinking is the fuse then where is the relay for the fuel pump?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-11, 11:15 AM
Lextrd016
Driver

I believe u can't pull it out u have two screws on each side try removing the outer box that holds dem I had to replace my alternator fuse and my mechanic after installing it had to screw on both sides hope this helps..
Old 12-28-11, 12:24 PM
Chuck1906
8th Gear

oh ok I will take a look....thanks!
Old 12-28-11, 01:04 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the key in the ignition and see if your security light stays flashing on your gauges. If its still flashing after putting in your key than you need to reprogram it. This happened to me
Old 12-29-11, 12:05 PM
itr206
Rookie

Did you try giving it some gas? Mine did this last week and freaked me out. I had my gf give it a little gas while I was under the hood as I was stumped and then it did start.
Was a little cold, but nothing crazy. Was strange.
Old 01-01-12, 05:46 PM
Chuck1906
8th Gear

@itr206 Yes I tried giving it some gas last week but it still wouldn't catch. So today I was about to try some of the things that was suggested above then I pulled out the manual and it said something about Fuel Pump Shut Off System and that in order to restart the engine I had to turn my key to ACC then back to the lock position then attempt to start the car. So I did just that except I pumped the gas a few times until it caught! I let the car run for about 5 minutes then I shut it off. Then started it again and It started right up as if nothing was wrong! I then let it run for about 15-20 minutes and drove it around the block before shutting it off.

I am not sure what caused this to even happen in the first place. Now 2 weeks ago I had my Serpentine belt replaced and I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
Old 01-02-12, 05:27 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird, sometime is300's have this same starting issue. I had it but after changing fuel pump and reprogramming my keys it never came back.
Old 01-02-12, 11:11 AM
itr206
Rookie

Yea mine did a similar thing with no cause known. I didnt give it much thought since I couldnt duplicate it again. I think mine had to do with my remote start maybe. Failed to start on the remote start. Then when I realized it wasnt running in the garage I went out to manually start and gave me this problem
Glad yours turned out the same
Old 09-23-12, 04:02 PM
DeejayKnox
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 is 300 will not start either.. had my mechanic look at it said it sparked but their was no fuel coming from the fuel pump and the security light stays on in the car even after i insert the key. HELP!!
Old 09-24-12, 05:23 PM
Chuck1906
8th Gear

@DeeJayKnox,

If you still have your manual, turn to page 308. It has to do with the fuel pump shut off system. I just turned my ignition to ACC once then attempted to start it up and started right up. It was a bit choppy and smoky for a little while due to gas that needed to be burned out. What I can't remember is if I turned the key to ACC then back to off then attempting to start the car or if I went to ACC and from there started the car.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
Old 09-27-12, 07:17 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DeejayKnox
My 2002 is 300 will not start either.. had my mechanic look at it said it sparked but their was no fuel coming from the fuel pump and the security light stays on in the car even after i insert the key. HELP!!
You've made it easy. Security light still blinking means immobiliser system does not recognize the key. is the electronic part of the key still there? is it the same key you've always used? security light blinking means it will spark but will give it no fuel.
Old 12-08-12, 03:33 PM
OLDMNSX
Driver School Candidate

My daughters is300 has been doing this intermittently over that last 3 years. It seems to raise it's ugly head in the fall and winter. It does it and then won't do it again for days or weeks. If it would fail to start I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if there is pressure. This will still not limit the problem to JUST the fuel pump. I know that Hondas and Acuras can have this problem due to a solder joint in the fuel pump relay cracking. Does the is300 have a fuel pump relay?
Old 12-09-12, 07:00 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDMNSX
My daughters is300 has been doing this intermittently over that last 3 years. It seems to raise it's ugly head in the fall and winter. It does it and then won't do it again for days or weeks. If it would fail to start I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if there is pressure. This will still not limit the problem to JUST the fuel pump. I know that Hondas and Acuras can have this problem due to a solder joint in the fuel pump relay cracking. Does the is300 have a fuel pump relay?
no relay problem. what is it doing??? does the security light continue to blink or turn off when you put the key in?
Old 12-09-12, 07:04 PM
castepatri
Driver School Candidate

Put the key in the ignition and see if your security light stays flashing on your gauges.
Old 06-01-13, 06:51 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Did anyone figure this issue out?

Quick Reply: 2002 is300 Engine turns over but won't start