IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

saying hello, new to IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 08:45 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saying hello, new to IS

greetings folks! just wanted to say hello, we recently picked up an '02 IS300. manual, red paint, black interior. stock (which is what we wanted). nice options- it's got NAV, leather, power, heated seats, moonroof, etc. great find and we got it for a good price. driving this away made it a little easier to say goodbye to our beloved project car, a '90 ES250.

first things first... it came with no service records but clearly needed some TLC. timing belt, water pump, handful of seals, drive belt, plugs (it had the wrong, cheap junk plugs in it... ughhh) and new wires. coolant and gear oil changed out too. got that done last week. oh, plus a full interior detail. exterior is going to have to wait for now- overall it's quite clean though.

84k miles, she runs beautifully with that maintenance work done. couple more things to clean it up mechanically and then looking at doing suspension and tires probably in the spring.

NAV and CD changer are both shot. any common causes/easy fixes for these?

Last edited by powerwave; 10-09-11 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 09:08 PM
hit42
Rookie

just let to say welcome.
Old 10-10-11, 06:08 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi powerwave. Welcome to the site and congratulations on your purchase. It is a very fun car and im sure youll enjoy it. To answer your question im not sure about the nav but the cd player is extremely common to break. Ive tried to fix mine and even bought one from another member on clublexus but still had issues. Save yourself some money and time and buy a 3rd party double din unit. If you do this you can obtain an authentic double din kit like I did from one of the vendors here on clublexus. I got mine from nigel but im sure others have it too. Dont fall for some of the others ones out there on the web as they have a different texture to them and dont match the dash. Another thing to keep in mind is depending on what you go with you may have to move the trac and heated seat buttons to the coin slots to the left of the steering wheel. I move my trac and driver heated seat button over there but was able to keep the passenger seat button in place. Ill post pics later so you can see.

Im also working to build a more comprehensive list of FAQ and DIY guides so be on the lookout for that. Anytime you do a mod or maintenance please feel free to write up a DIY with pics and post it. Ill be linking all of these in the FAQ. Other than that....Welcome!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 10-10-11, 11:07 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the 1IS
Old 10-10-11, 04:15 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics as promised
Old 10-10-11, 05:07 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to have you join us in IS!
Old 11-11-11, 01:39 PM
ISdriver3
Driver School Candidate

Enjoy it! 03 IS owner and love it
Old 12-04-11, 04:06 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

thanks for the warm welcome, folks! sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. things are crazy around here lately with a baby on the way and dealing with insurance/repairs on the other car and etc.

anyway, we spent some time taking the CD changer apart and that thing is really FUBAR. so eventually we'll have to get another setup, like that nice one UNOHOO posted! thanks for the ideas on that! haven't had the time to get another NAV disk to check out the NAV system yet, either... but that is on the to-do list somewhere. always somewhere.

dang, wish i had known you folks were building a forum base for DIY, yeah we did a lot of big maintenance before showing up here and guess we should have taken pictures. don't worry. the car is getting a new transmission eventually, and that will be a write-up. back when we rebuilt our old ES, we documented the whole process. of course, not many people have one of those old 250s anymore so it was of interest but not necessarily greatly useful to many

here's a picture of the car. i haven't had time to work my magic on the exterior just yet.
Old 12-05-11, 10:45 AM
ctmales
Rookie

i like the red alot.... looks like she has decent paint.