IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New to forum and is300. Have a cooling system issue...

Old 11-17-11, 07:38 PM
ShartXing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and is300. Have a cooling system issue...

Hey, new to the forum and new to the imports. Owned mustangs, a cobra, and a lightning. I've always loved the is300's and found a deal on one. Granted I've put a bunch of work into it already since someone decided to do some botched body work in some spots. I got the body all straight and fresh paint on it. On to the issue...

I have no heat and the radiator is filled with rust looking water. I plut two bottles of wynn flush treatment in after draining and notice when I was filling it back up with water, it would only take like half the bottle. I turn it on with the cap off to burp it and it just continually burps. I'm figuring it has a pressure leak or its plugged up from the gunk.

Fast forward to tonight, I decided to investigate a bit further afterwork. I drain the mixture, it's a nice rust color. No chunks or anything. I also changed the thermostat. I notice nothing visibly wrong with it. Swap it out and run it. After running I noticed the lower hose had collapsed and then the upper. The two heater hoses were fine and not hot. I notice they put a restrictor in one of the hoses. So I figured it was clogged. I blew some air through it (bad idea) and **** goes everywhere from a quick blip. I decide to grab a magnet for the hell of it. Behold it is magnetic.

I'm guessing they used a stop leak at some time, the radiator appears newer. It's been replaced at some point. I've never dealt with the stuff. I'm gonna get my buddy to hook it up to a flush machine and give that a try. What all should I expect to have to replace. I'm sure flushing isnt gonna get all that stuff out. Mainly from the core and the radiator. The overflow is caked too. I know at the very least for my piece of mind I'm gonna need the radiator and overflow. Is there anything else I should worry about, perhaps the water pump?

Name:  msrpV.png
Views: 12
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by ShartXing; 11-17-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 08:20 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How is the car running? Notice any problems when driving. Does the car overheat? Is the car smoking. Reason im asking is im woundering if the headgasket was blown or what was the reason why the radiator was new and gunk built up in the overflow.
Old 11-17-11, 08:30 PM
ShartXing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Runs fine and the oil is clean so I'm not sure if its blown or not. It runs fine. The temp gauge never gets any higher than halfway. I don't drive it long typically. I've had it less than a month and just started driving it last monday.I took it straight to the shop and tore apart after i bought it. No noticeable smoke from exhaust. So right now I dont believe it is. It just hit 52k but thats not to say it hasnt had it rough. I'm just assuming the clumped metal is from stop leak but Ive never ran into this issue. It had been wrecked before so I'm sure they replaced it then. Tonight was the first I saw the hoses colapse like that. The cap seemed to be fine. I could unlock it and was holding pressure. I'll have to see if one of the mechanics there has a fitting for that and pressure test it maybe. But I'm pretty sure their is no coolant flow. Where is the temp sensors on these?