IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 2JZ-GE -GTE swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 11:51 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little bit of miss-information here. the GE bottom end from the IS is different than other GE motors like from the SC300 or NA Supras. the internals in the IS300 GE (pistons, rods, rings etc) are weaker than the GTE internals. the crank is the same. the GE also does not use oil squirters which are intended to cool down the piston tops.
many big HP Supra guys build up the the GE bottom ends because 1)theyre cheap 2) dont use the oil squirters. many feel its not needed.

the GE bottom end from the IS is fine to run low boost. many IS guys run 300HP ~10psi on a stock GE motor without issue. with a upgraded headgasket and APR headstuds i made 450HP at 15psi.

LucciLou you dont need boost to drift. and you dont need big horsepower to enjoy your car.
Old 12-01-11, 03:59 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grrr

So now ive heard to swap a GTE bottom end cuz there stronger then GE bottom ends now your tellin me GE bottom ends are stronger then GTE bottom ends? What about the top end is the GTE top end stronger then the GE top end or should i just get the GTE internals? when im ready to boost?
Old 12-01-11, 04:02 PM
1100HP
Driver

Originally Posted by LucciLou
So now ive heard to swap a GTE bottom end cuz there stronger then GE bottom ends now your tellin me GE bottom ends are stronger then GTE bottom ends? What about the top end is the GTE top end stronger then the GE top end or should i just get the GTE internals? when im ready to boost?
To tell you the truth I don't even know why you are swapping engines. How much horse power are you trying to make. You don't need that much to go sideways.
Old 12-01-11, 04:05 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

just do a swap....
Old 12-01-11, 04:08 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Thumbs up really now!?

Originally Posted by baadhabit
a little bit of miss-information here. the GE bottom end from the IS is different than other GE motors like from the SC300 or NA Supras. the internals in the IS300 GE (pistons, rods, rings etc) are weaker than the GTE internals. the crank is the same. the GE also does not use oil squirters which are intended to cool down the piston tops.
many big HP Supra guys build up the the GE bottom ends because 1)theyre cheap 2) dont use the oil squirters. many feel its not needed.

the GE bottom end from the IS is fine to run low boost. many IS guys run 300HP ~10psi on a stock GE motor without issue. with a upgraded headgasket and APR headstuds i made 450HP at 15psi.

LucciLou you dont need boost to drift. and you dont need big horsepower to enjoy your car.
Wow really now ok i like that....So what about getting a used Turbo kit or piecing one together myself? what do i need to look out for?
Old 12-01-11, 04:09 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Talking Hp

itd be nice to run over 300 on the 300 you know what im sayin!?
Old 12-01-11, 05:40 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You dont need alot of power to drift. Just look at some of the 240s or AE86's that are drifting. Most of them just upgrade their suspension and drift away.
Old 12-01-11, 05:43 PM
1100HP
Driver

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
You dont need alot of power to drift. Just look at some of the 240s or AE86's that are drifting. Most of them just upgrade their suspension and drift away.
Exactly. You need better control, suspension, and brake upgrades then anything else.
Old 12-02-11, 04:19 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Ill make it more simple for you, if you plan to stay less than 500hp than just build your GE motor because swapping in a motor not made for you car can cause alot of problems. Sometimes not all the things in your car will work like cruise control and other things. You will also need to deal with engine lights and other install problems. I say why do that when you ALREADY have a 2JZ motor in your car? You can buy the GTE parts from Toyota! I just ordered a set of GTE pistons off drift motion for $315.

Last edited by dsouthmia0; 12-02-11 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-02-11, 06:39 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Wow really now ok i like that....So what about getting a used Turbo kit or piecing one together myself? what do i need to look out for?
how would you piece together a kit yourself? you know nothing about turbo kits, ECUs and all thats needed.

if you dont know where to start then maybe you should look at some the proven NA-T kits put out by SRT

www.swiftracing.com/
you should also spend some time reading this
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Old 12-02-11, 11:25 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Talking Taylor Made

Good advice guys keep it comin! Yeah i guess i will stick wit my GE i dont really think ill be going above 500hp anytime soon or in the future....ill definitely check out those kits thx 4 the link!!!
Old 12-03-11, 11:34 AM
Lextrd016
Driver

Yeah man I have a stock GE head I just lowered compression sum and TT head gasket and apr studs and stock bottom end 5speed about 370hp 14psi runs fine although anything over 350hp u should change the tranny!!!
Old 12-03-11, 03:52 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Yahtzee

how would you piece together a kit yourself? you know nothing about turbo kits, ECUs and all thats needed.

you should also spend some time reading this
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

your absolutely right thats why i need some friends that know what theyre...doing & talking about..i myself will have to spend more time on these forums learning about all that is needed in order to achieve my goal....#1 i think i need a MT? should i get one from a salvage yard? before i put it in should i have it looked at by a tranny shop? would it be a smart thing to get a new fly wheel and clutch kit before putting it in? i just put on rotors going to order bushings....will put on Tokico HP shocks within the next couple weeks.....
Old 12-03-11, 03:58 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Y?

Originally Posted by Lextrd016
Yeah man I have a stock GE head I just lowered compression sum and TT head gasket and apr studs and stock bottom end 5speed about 370hp 14psi runs fine although anything over 350hp u should change the tranny!!!
why do you say anything over 350hp you should get a new tranny? what if u get a fly wheel n clutch kit?
Old 12-04-11, 04:35 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

why do you say anything over 350hp you should get a new tranny? what if u get a fly wheel n clutch kit?
Once again our manual trannys cannot handle more than 350 and with some upgrades the auto can take more. If you want a stock tranny I am selling one ($400+) ready to bolt up with flywheel, clutch and all but if you want 400hp or less than the sc300 w58 ($500) will be cheap and fine and if you go past or close to 500hp the supra R154 is what you want ($1500).

Quick Reply: IS300 2JZ-GE -GTE swap?