IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 04:23 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is

Ok so after seeing no DIY for this with pictures, I took it upon myself to take pictures whilst doing mine today. I Am also doing the SPC rear camber bolts, but that will be seperate.
Tools
ratchet and Sockets 17mm, 27mm
Pitman arm puller
Balljoint press if not skilled
Needle nose pliers
Slotted scewdriver
Wire cutters( extra step, makes it easier to see the snap ring)

1. Ok so jack the car up, put jack stands under it, pull the wheels off.
2. pull the cotter pin out of the upper balljoint
3. loosen the nut on the balljoint and thread it to the end but dont take it off
4. fit the pitman arm puller on the balljoint and seperate it from the steering knuckle
5. now that the knuckle hasn't fallen on you from leaving the nut on, procede to take the nut off and pull the knuckle out of the way
6. IMPORTANT>>> Using the wire cutters cut the wire holing the dust seal on the balljoint and remove the dust seal to expose the snap ring holding the balljoint in place, using any combination of foul language and tools( the slotted screwdriver and needle nose pliers) remove it and discard, dont worry about messing it up
7. now remove the balljoint using the appropriate press

Thats the hard part, and it took me 15 min to get one side done, so its not hard at all

Installing the SPC balljoint, it has two configurations, +1.5 degrees from 0, and -1.5 degrees from 0, I oriented the balljoint so that i would add positive camber, use the 27mm socket to tighten the nut on the balljoint

re-attach the steering knuckle, tighten the nut really good, install the new cotter pin. and put the wheel back on!
So its super easy
Attached Thumbnails SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0496.jpg   SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0499.jpg   SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0500.jpg   SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0505.jpg   SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0506.jpg  

Old 10-27-11, 04:24 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

More pictures, any questions, pm me, Im not much of a DIY creator, so feel free to add to it
Attached Thumbnails SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0507.jpg   SPC Adj. Balljoint not much of a DIY but here it is-imag0508.jpg  
Old 10-27-11, 06:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

One quick note - you don't need the pitman arm puller at all... in fact, the easiest way to loosen the knuckle from the ball joint is a solid hit to the side of the knuckle, beside the ball joint... one or two good hits and it'll loosen up on ya...
Old 10-27-11, 07:24 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

I did do that, but not every balljoint is easy, I figured if i put the puller in the diy, then nobody would be asking other ways to get it off, a balljoint seperator works too, but sometimes gets stuck, the pitman arm puller always works
Old 10-27-11, 07:27 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

And to add to my post, a quick way to align the new balljoint, keep it loose, pull hard on the knuckle and it will go to its furthest position, from here you would make a mark on the control arm for future reference
Old 02-15-14, 03:24 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

quick question did the torque wrench fit under the fender to tighten the 27 mm bolt?
Old 02-19-14, 11:07 AM
konaboi808
Pole Position

^Yes it will. Just matters the type and depth of your tools.
Not a fan of the SPC kit but nice write up.