IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

just bought a sportcross, new to lexus period. lookin to do tasteful mods

Old 10-11-11, 04:43 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a sportcross, new to lexus period. lookin to do tasteful mods

just looking for direction on where to do some add on shopping for a sportcross. I know they're rare and I've always owned an audi, I don't know where to look. Not looking for anything drastic, this is my daily driver. Just some tasteful light mods. Basically no engine or drastic with the springs, i have a fast car already.

If I go 18's, whats the widest tire you can go? I was also possibly thinking the oem isf 19s to slap on the car, but I'm thinking of leaving the car at stock height?? anyone have 19s on stock springs so I can see if it looks right??? same tire question applies with 19s as well.

like to get some black front and rear tail lights if they make. any tasteful dash mods? I liked the altezza cluster for example.

Please add your input. Also if you have anything for sale I may like, let me know. I have $ to spend.

Last edited by Zstuddin; 10-25-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 04:50 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome!!!
I also have a Sportx

The Sportx has a mean rake so u could do a mild drop, since is springs are cheap i recommend a set of those.
You probably have to DIY your headlights/tails since there were such low production numbers tails are near impossible to find, headlights, bake em and paint em yourself
good luck have fun!

PS. Post some pics!!!
Old 10-11-11, 07:29 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

if I did like a small 1" drop, do you know if I would have to get a camber kit or anything like that? or is it such a small drop that it wont need adjustments??? also, do the aftermarket sedan springs fit the same as a sportx?
Old 10-11-11, 07:30 PM
plus1choi
Driver

Welcome! might be just me but i think lowering any car (or IS in particular) makes a WORLD of difference in terms of looks. That and if you were planning to get wheels a mild drop would be best or else you'd look like even more 4x4 mode IMO. I'd consider a set of springs or a full coilover would be easier.

On stock height, you would need to look at probably 18x8 size rims with id say a +45ish offset? if lowered with a full coilover setup you can go wider and a lower offset. I would not go with 19s as i feel theyre too big on an IS without some kind of body kit.

SportX parts are pretty rare and hard to come by, so you may have to look into DIY projects or just keep checking classifieds.
Old 10-11-11, 07:32 PM
plus1choi
Driver

Originally Posted by Zstuddin
if I did like a small 1" drop, do you know if I would have to get a camber kit or anything like that? or is it such a small drop that it wont need adjustments??? also, do the aftermarket sedan springs fit the same as a sportx?
no camber kit is necessary, not sure if sedan and sportx suspenion is interchangeable
Old 10-11-11, 07:50 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to drop it a little, if you put wheels on that car it will look like a 4x4. With a small drop on some Megan Ez street coil overs you will be very happy. With these you can adjust the ride height to w.e and keep your comfortable ride. Your car has camber adjustments built in so when you get an alignment they will line it up for you the way you want. I am on 19s dropped 1.5 with no alignment or adjustments and its great. heres mine but its not a sportcross
Name:  10-1.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  15.1 KB
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  17.6 KB
And here it is with out the drop
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  16.5 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  15.1 KB
Old 10-12-11, 08:03 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zstuddin
just looking for direction on where to do some add on shopping for a sportcross. I know they're rare and I've always owned an audi, I don't know where to look. Not looking for anything drastic, this is my daily driver. Just some tasteful light mods. Basically no engine or messing with the springs, i have a fast car already.

If I go 18's, whats the widest tire you can go? I was also possibly thinking the oem isf 19s to slap on the car, but I'm leaving the car at stock height. anyone have 19s on stock springs so I can see if it looks right??? same tire question applies with 19s as well.

like to get some black front and rear tail lights if they make. any tasteful dash mods? I liked the altezza cluster for example.

Please add your input. Also if you have anything for sale I may like, let me know. I have $ to spend.
Congrats on the purchase! I've owned my Sportcross for a few years now and still enjoy it as much as I did since day 1. I bought it only to tint the windows and maybe add some wheels. Things have changed after the first few months of ownership. lol If you want to get 18s or 19s and widen the stance you really need to lower it a bit first. THe stock height sportcross (especially) in the rear is ridiculous. Something subtle like the Eibach prokit springs will suffice. 1" drop all around. I would recommend something a bit lower like H&R or Eibach sportlines....which is around 1.5" all around. You don't need camber kits for any of these.....you can still get your alignment shop to get you close to oem spec pretty easily.

Here's my current look with 19" Volk Racing wheels. I am lowered about 2".

Name:  RScanada1.jpg
Views: 8507
Size:  126.8 KB
Name:  RScanada6.jpg
Views: 13196
Size:  103.9 KB
Old 10-12-11, 04:48 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

ok so i just ordered altezza moonroof and window visors, yellow fogs, and a black suede dash cover (have my doubts about this, but it was only $40) the sun is insane here so if it doesn't look too tacky, it's worth it.

i think a 2" drop and 19s looks nice, but this being my daily driver and the AWFUL roads in florida, I already know that will be a bad idea. I'm sold on the 1.5" drop and 18's.

so either H&R or Eibach sportline? Any other suggestions or just flip a coin and pick one? To be honest I like to pick the one most exspensive and find it at the best deal. I've always been a strong believer that you get what you pay fo. lol. Basically what I'm getting at, springs that are the best ride, not worried about price so much. Best place to find these?

as for wheels, I wanna go with the 18s to handle the pot holes. so the final verdict on those is? 18x8 size rims with a +45ish offset?
wider the stance the better, don't want to curl any fenders or stretch any tires though. Where's the best place to do some wheel shopping?

Lastly, where did you get the red tail lights? and i want those mudguards too ><

*just sent an email out to Works about setting me up with a nice wheel combo. maybe I'll do 17's in front 18's in back? shrug. just a thought. Also sent an email out to a jdm parts importer about finding me some black taillights.Fingers are crossed, but not holding my breathe.

Last edited by Zstuddin; 10-12-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 08:48 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

I hope you didn't buy the Altezza sedan window visors because it does not fit flush on our Sportcross. There's two separate ones.....in case you don't know. The Altezza Gita is what you want. If you got the sedan version it's okay just the back rear windows won't fit perfect but it will still work.

Nice pick ups though. What color is your Sportcross? Post a pic! I guarantee you the roads in my area are in worse shape than yours because of our weather. 2" drop on 19" wheels is not bad at all. Just gotta make sure you get strong reputable quality wheels. But yea though...18s on 1.5" drop would be perfect for your liking. As for what brand....basically a toss up...H&R and Eibach are both solid companies. If I were you.....I would go with the Sportlines and pair with aftermarket shocks like the Tokico illuminas, Tokico HPs or koni yellows. Check out the vendors on here for the best deals. Maybe they can offer you a package deal on springs and shocks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...todesigns.html

For wheels you will be safe with 18x8 +38-40 range...with 225-40 tires. For wheel shopping look at what vendors are offering here on this site......don't buy Works from them directly, get them through here. Save money. You can also find great deals in the classified section on good condition wheels.

The red tails are actually overlays from Aerotect. Had them on for over 2 years and it still looks fresh. Here's the site:
http://www.aerotect.net/shop/page3.html

Mud guards are super rare to find. I just got lucky and found someone selling his. The OEMs are discontinued and has been for a while. Best luck is to search through classifieds on here every now and then.

The only JDM black tail lights I ever found are for the sedans so I highly doubt you can find a pair for the Sportcross. Let me know though!!! You can do a DIY on your tails and paint the inside housings black. It's a PITA job though.

Last edited by sway162; 10-13-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 11:45 AM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

sway i checked out your build thread on IS forum. very nice. I did call carson toyota to make sure they're sending me the right window visors, thanks for the heads up. they said they will call me back in 10 minutes. I'll call them in a couple hours...you know how that stuff goes. i love the 2" drop on 19s like i mentioned before...bleh...so torn. but i can just tell i'm gonna bend a wheel. lol. then i'll be mad at you for inspiring me. haha.

so as for now, just sitting, waiting to hear back from vendors.

bone stock. 04, 82k miles, paid 12,200

Old 10-13-11, 11:59 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

looks good... check your PM about info about Gita visors
Old 10-13-11, 12:10 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

nice swagger wagon.

where in FL are you? i dont know if youre familiar or not but theres a whole FL section you should check out for local meets and events.
Old 10-13-11, 12:41 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

pm replied.

i live in orlando, havent really looked into the local stuff yet. I might get into that later. I just don't want to get sucked in to a ton of mods and when i see other people's cars, i'll end up getting retarded. trying to keep it simple. if i get this car looking too nice, then i'll be looking for another car to daily drive and i'll have 3 cars to pay insurance on. lol
Old 10-13-11, 12:51 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

well if youre interested here in orlando we do bi-weekly meets wednesday nights. next one will be 10/19 at the Cigarz Bar in Waterford lakes. its a chill hangout to meet with other lexus guys and shoot the breeze. modded not modded. open invite

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...ml#post6743468
Old 10-13-11, 02:38 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

thanks for the invite, might have to take you up on that...after i get some parts in. heh love to check your car out btw.

*update* just ordered some smoke front and rear side markers, non smokers box and jdm antenna. Also called carson, they emailed their japanese partner and i'll find out about the visors tomorrow to make sure i get the right ones.

far as lowering springs i might have found some 1.4" drop kgm. i'll find out for sure on those tomorrow. Also located some aftermarket black housing tails, they're led's though. still waiting on a reply for jdm black housing tails.

any words of wisdom for axle back exhaust? i was thinking going with KIM, the silent one, not the race.

Last edited by Zstuddin; 10-13-11 at 02:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just bought a sportcross, new to lexus period. lookin to do tasteful mods