IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

trade my IS300 for stock RHD supra?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 08:49 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have it made it up in your heart thats what you want buddy then do it. I can tell you right now that a na JDM supra will not fetch you much more money than its worth even if you do the full TT conversion.

Personally I would wait for a TT if you really want one. But if you're looking for another new to you reliable DD then by all means do it brother!

I wonder if he can get me just the Getrag 6 speed tranny, driveshaft, and rear end
Old 10-12-11, 03:07 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin727
If you have it made it up in your heart thats what you want buddy then do it. I can tell you right now that a na JDM supra will not fetch you much more money than its worth even if you do the full TT conversion.

Personally I would wait for a TT if you really want one. But if you're looking for another new to you reliable DD then by all means do it brother!

I wonder if he can get me just the Getrag 6 speed tranny, driveshaft, and rear end
Yes he can, but he will want a deposit. And you might want to check to make sure jdm 6speed & everything will work with USDM cars.

Also, I went to NJ to meet the guy that can help me with legalization, title, registration and all that good stuff. He was really cool and he took me for a ride in his GTR34 OMG what an insane beast!! Times like this I wish I had my camera with me, or even i wish I thought to take out my stupid cellphone and take pics, but seeing something soo amazing like that - the last thing I can think about is taking pictures. The guy has a R34 and a R33, and his wife has a S15.... This **** is INSANE!! And I went with him to meet the guy selling the supra because he was buying a RHD Evo6 for his buddy, and I got to go for a ride in the evo also.. It's like, I stumbled into this whole new world full of RHD cars!!! hahahaha

But yeah, the NJ guy is very knowledgeable and experienced with this. He told me the process and offered to help for cheap. He said, paperwork would take at most 2 days and $2,500, but the downfall is that I will have to ship the car to Florida. He said that he can have his buddy trailer it for $600 down and $600 back.. Or I can tow it myself but it would probably cost more if I include time off of work and hotel stay etc... So I think I would probably pay the $600 for one way, and follow the transport or fly down to florida and stay a couple days with friends/family, then just drive the car back home... Or maybe I will ask the guy with the dealer tags if I can rent the tags for one month and try to drive the car down to florida, but I'm kind of iffy because I will be driving through many states, kinda risky, but I would be transporting the vehicle, so really, it should be alright, I will have to look into it more.....

First thing's first though, gotta sell the IS300
Gonna post it on craigslist tonight. Get ready for tons of spam and tire kickers!!!

Last edited by llllllllll; 10-12-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 03:34 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Yes he can, but he will want a deposit. And you might want to check to make sure jdm 6speed & everything will work with USDM cars.

Also, I went to NJ to meet the guy that can help me with legalization, title, registration and all that good stuff. He was really cool and he took me for a ride in his GTR34 OMG what an insane beast!! Times like this I wish I had my camera with me, or even i wish I thought to take out my stupid cellphone and take pics, but seeing something soo amazing like that - the last thing I can think about is taking pictures. The guy has a R34 and a R33, and his wife has a S15.... This **** is INSANE!! And I went with him to meet the guy selling the supra because he was buying a RHD Evo6 for his buddy, and I got to go for a ride in the evo also.. It's like, I stumbled into this whole new world full of RHD cars!!! hahahaha

But yeah, the NJ guy is very knowledgeable and experienced with this. He told me the process and offered to help for cheap. He said, paperwork would take at most 2 days and $2,500, but the downfall is that I will have to ship the car to Florida. He said that he can have his buddy trailer it for $600 down and $600 back.. Or I can tow it myself but it would probably cost more if I include time off of work and hotel stay etc... So I think I would probably pay the $600 for one way, and follow the transport or fly down to florida and stay a couple days with friends/family, then just drive the car back home... Or maybe I will ask the guy with the dealer tags if I can rent the tags for one month and try to drive the car down to florida, but I'm kind of iffy because I will be driving through many states, kinda risky, but I would be transporting the vehicle, so really, it should be alright, I will have to look into it more.....

Gonna post it on craigslist tonight. Get ready for tons of spam and tire kickers!!!
Yes it will even the VVTI getrags will work.

I feel you man. Actually a friend of mine got his 1993 skyline from a fellow out in jersey and I wonder if it was the same guy..
Just pay the 600 for the transport service as it does come out a lot cheaper!!! I had my car come from Jersey via transpo and it took 2 days @ 600.

Wait for the TT brother as you wont look back!
Old 10-25-11, 09:44 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I might not have to sell my IS300....

Last edited by llllllllll; 07-17-12 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 09:50 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noice!!!!!!
Old 10-26-11, 06:01 PM
ISNINE
Driver

O man I want an s15!
Old 10-26-11, 06:13 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll

You must be talking about Nas.... He has a nice line up and def cool as hell. My friend works at his shop. If i was you bro i would wait. Not really worth getting a na supra specially since its auto. If that guy can import cars just see if he can get your a tt supra. Or hell even talk to Nas in getting you something.
Old 10-27-11, 08:09 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
You must be talking about Nas.... He has a nice line up and def cool as hell. My friend works at his shop. If i was you bro i would wait. Not really worth getting a na supra specially since its auto. If that guy can import cars just see if he can get your a tt supra. Or hell even talk to Nas in getting you something.
^^ Haha yep!! Small world!!!

Can't pass this supra up now.. Already too much effort into getting it.
And TT supra is gonna be way more expensive! Can't afford that, plus this one only has like 65,000 miles!!
And I would rather build a GTE myself, it might take a couple years, but I will get it done!
Plus I don't really care about Turbo & speed all that much, I already built a bad *** GSX that smoked supras and vettes...
I just want a supra, and I just want RHD. This is everything I want. Just wish It had targa top, white & 6 speed, then it would be perfect!!!!
But I can always do 6 speed swap and paint it white.

Last edited by llllllllll; 10-27-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 08:17 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Oh and - UPDATE...

I am keeping the IS300....
Selling the S14 & paying the rest of it in cash.. ouch!

It will sit in storage until spring so I can get my money right again

Last edited by llllllllll; 07-17-12 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 08:55 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

anymore updates?
Old 11-02-11, 11:04 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Update = Justin we are now car TWINS!!!!!!!!!

I rented an auto transport to bring the car home. My buddy was towing it and I was driving behind in the Lexus. We pulled up close to my place to unload the supra and we were just standing around chatting for about 10 minutes, and some old white guy & his wife (in their 50's), just a couple of random people who were walking by, came over and walked right up to the back of the supra and started staring at it. Then he said "Supra! Wow, nice car!!" and started to continue walking, and I said - "look at the inside!!" so he he did. Then he was surprised to see the steering wheel on the wrong side and said "how did you guys do that!?" and I just said "it's from japan", then he said "Wow that is very cool, must have cost a lot!", and then he continued on his way.

Not much longer after that a group of kids walked by and I could hear them saying "WOW a supra!!"

Then when we got it unloaded from the auto transport I was itching to drive it around the block!! So I did, (even though it is hella super illegal...). And I went to the gas station because it was on E. As I was pulling up to the pump this one guy was leaving, but when he saw me pull up & driving on the wrong side he couldn't stop looking and he stopped pulling away and said to me "wow what kind of car is that!?" Then he said "are you a mail man or something!?"... Ended up talking to him for a couple minutes, and some girl walked by with a big smile on her face..... This stuff is crazy, It was just too funny!

And I went to see my buddy so I can park the car in his private parking area (because I can't park it on the street or it would get towed.) He was really confused why I asked him to park my car in his private parking area but being a good friend he agreed to let me take his spot for a couple days. He is not a car guy so I had a hard time explaining what was going on but he just said "it's cool, we'll talk about it when you get here" When I pulled up and he saw me driving on the wrong side, his face just lit up, and he was smiling from ear to ear... And he just said....... "Alex... What the hell, you are driving on the wrong side...... That definitely is something that you would buy......" LOL

I love this car already, I can't wait to get it street legal!!!!!!!!

Last edited by llllllllll; 11-02-11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 11:22 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

GOOD GOOD GOOD!

I am very pleased to hear the good news.

Every time I manage to take mine out I tend to get spectators, paparazzi, and a lot of questions. You'll enjoy it and I can't wait to see it evolve over time!
Old 11-02-11, 12:28 PM
SuthrnGent
Lead Lap

RHD Supra is definitely a neckbreaker, congrats!
Old 11-02-11, 01:18 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

i was just talking to some friends who have imported cars before and they were all saying its super impossible to make it street legal. good luck.
Old 11-02-11, 01:24 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

I have heard many horror stories about that as well....^

Good luck bro...keep us posted.

Quick Reply: trade my IS300 for stock RHD supra?!