IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Built on the floor: My '02 non VVTI jdm --> USDM GTE swap NOW WITH A PIC OR TWO!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 01:37 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built on the floor: My '02 non VVTI jdm --> USDM GTE swap UPDATE! VIDEO Pg3!

UPDATE #3: Up and running! Running rich, needs tuned, but only a few issues. Update on page 3!

UPDATE #2: Manifold came in today. Here is a teaser. Still have some minor tweaking to work out, more information will come tomorrow after I get some sleep.

UPDATE: Link should work for EVERYONE to see the pictures, whether you have a FB or not. Added a couple of teasers and I'm currently waiting on my new exhaust manifold to arrive. From there it's out for exhaust and intercooler piping fabrication.

2 years ago, on my birthday, something was taken from me that I had yet to finish. It was a car that I had longed to own since I was 13. While I have owned a couple of them before this one I speak of, this car was to be "the one". The plans went on for days. I had sunk more time, sweat, and blood into this car than any one previous. I had every intention of holding on to this one until the day I could no longer drive.

Tragically, it was totaled while serving it's duty as the daily driver for the family after having been hit by 2 different drivers, in both of our other cars, all within the previous 2 months. The feeling I got from driving that '93 6spd Supra can never be replaced, but all be damned if I wasn't going to try.

I came to this site after picking up my '02 5spd is300 with a million and one questions, just like everyone else. I had a young son, and responsibility drove me away from a 2 door car for the time being. The is300, being sporty, nimble, and fun to drive seemed like a logical choice. And with boasting 4 doors, plus room in the trunk to haul my little mans arsenal of things around helped even more. But the honest reason behind it was the power plant it was cradling. I've been around the GE and GTE for years, and the 2 engines were very similar in a lot of ways. I figured getting the GTE to fit should pose no issue and be easier to swap than one might think. So far, I've been right on one of those thoughts.

I had a choice. VVTi or non. So, I did some research. VVTi seemed straight forward. Move this for stock twins. Use this, plug that in here, yadda yadda yadda. I've been on stock twins for half of my supra ownership. The other half was the stock single on the MKIII turbo. I figure, if I'm going to do this, then maybe I should go farther than I ever have before. I decided on a small single setup with stock fuel. I'm daily driving this car, and huge power goals are not anything I desire right now. Just a fun boosted car to jet around town in. Not knowing much about the VVTi motors, and most importantly just wanting to walk the path less traveled, I chose the non VVTi.

With a huge lack of info, at least from what I have found, this seemed to be a blind project. It didn't help matters that I had decided to stay away from full standalone and stick with a stock ecu and piggy back system. The supra community has seen great gains and tuneability on the stock ecu and MAPecu option. All on stock fuel, with the ability to upgrade later on without much hassle. So, with having a decent background in USDM supras', that was going to be my goal. Build an is300, with a supra GTE, using a supra ecu, and a MAPecu for fuel. All while making it appear as if Lexus had originally released this car with that engine in it. I'm passed my flashy show off stage. I enjoy a clean, oem type of look. And this has been my basis for the swap. If I only knew how much of a pain the wiring would be, I may have gone a different route. More on that as time goes on.

Originally, I had planned on holding off on a build thread until the car was finished, tuned, and running. But with classes over for the summer, and being stuck waiting on the last few parts, I have decided to start the thread and continue it from here on out. I have created a public album on facebook to document the progress so far. I continually update it as I make progress, as I will do with this thread.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I'll try and answer them to the best of my knowledge. By the end of this, I hope to come up with some sort of a write up and step by step walk through on how to accomplish this swap. There are quite a few tricks and tips that one may be able to use that I have found so far. Nothing huge, but they are things to consider

Here is a quick rundown of what I am using as far as parts and upgrades, and I'm sure I'll update this as well since I have been going at this for about 6 months now. Some things will most likely slip my mind.

Aristo JDM non VVTi GTE
Complete gasket replacement minus head gasket and front main seal.
Turbonetics 61mm t/4 turbo
USDM supra 6spd ecu
USDM supra 550cc injectors, with rail and regulator.
USDM Cams(currently uninstalled)
NEW OEM USDM supra water pump front and rear assembly
OEM thermostat
Refreshed valve covers, intake, and throttle body
RPS pressure plate and 6puck clutch disk
OEM toyota throw out bearing and pilot bearing
MKIV supra throttle cable
Traction control motor block off
All 3" stainless mandrel bend pipes for custom one off exhaust
Ebay bar and plate intercooler small enough to retain front crash bar
2.5" mandrel bend piping for intercooler (yet to be fabricated)
Dritmotion oil feed/return kit, pulley kit, injector clips, coil pack clips
Walboro 255lph fuel pump
custom fuel pump hanger and fuel return line
USDM supra ignitor
low impedance resistor pack
Toyota noise filter for resistor pack

Handmade wiring harness utilizing the original aristo harness. Hand wrapped and ran. All wiring being done by myself and a friend.

AEM uego wideband
AEM truboost
HKS turbo timer
STI gauge pod
Greddy BCC
MAPecu 1
Tial Q 50mm bov in black
Godspeed 50mm wastegate

There will be more to come as I get the manifold issue sorted out and the wiring progresses. I want to ad that I am currently running the stock is300 5spd. While I know this is a ****ty idea, it is still fresh and smooth. My power levels will remain low for the time being, and I flat ran out of cash at the end. Again, feel free to ask questions if you want. And I will update more on this swap as it progresses. Thanks for reading!

Pics

Teasers:

Last edited by Irishsupra; 08-26-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 05:35 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

sorry about ur long lost supra. cant wait till i see this is300 running =)
Old 07-10-11, 07:31 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to do the same thing. where did you get the motor?
Old 07-10-11, 08:31 PM
czum09
Driver

Wow this is going to be awesome. I love the supras too, I hate that great cars like that get ruined by others. I'd be pissed if someone ruined one of my cars like that (Which actually happend to me too, about a month ago, that's why i bought an is300 too). Anyways good luck post vids when you get this thing going.

Best of luck
Old 07-11-11, 06:39 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw this post over on supra forums. nice build and nice choice in beer. lol.

im working on a similar build. did you fab up a motor mount on the passenger side? what are your plans for the fans? imo i would look into a larger intercooler.
Old 07-11-11, 07:18 AM
Irishsupra
Rookie

I used the is300 motor mounts. No fabrication required. The aristo engine's, at least the few I have dealt with, have 3 different mounting locations for the mounts. I just took them off of the stock GE engine and bolted them up in the proper locations on the aristo block. Easy as hell. You just have to remove the oil filter and cooler assembly to mount up the drivers side motor mount. Which means replacing o-rings and gaskets.

As for the intercooler, for now I should be perfectly fine considering I'm looking at staying at or under 400whp. It will be a while before this car sees any kind of driving that would push the limits of it and cause a heat soak. Eventually, I will go with a larger one and that's when the fuel system, transmission, and a few other things will be addressed.

I picked up the engine out of a company in orlando. Cost was about 1900. Make sure you do a compression check ON THE SPOT before you pay for the engine.
Old 07-11-11, 07:27 AM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man i appreciate it
Old 07-11-11, 09:18 AM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Not sure what I'm going to do about fans quite yet. I want to see what the intercooler piping looks like before I tackle it. I was hoping to use the stock fans and shroud, but it may not fit with the piping. We shall see.
Old 07-11-11, 10:10 PM
boostedis3
Driver School Candidate

I like it...let me know how you like the headache of screwing with wiring up that whole mess and getting it to run right I've been down this path...
Old 07-11-11, 10:38 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

i had to laugh at the Natty Ice beer!
Old 07-11-11, 10:50 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by boostedis3
I like it...let me know how you like the headache of screwing with wiring up that whole mess and getting it to run right I've been down this path...
I'm optimistic anyway, but I see very few issues with the wiring. We have spent a lot of time going over every little detail and triple checking every single connection. We should be able to get it done with little hassle. So far, as scary as it looks, it hasn't been bad at all.

And it's Natty light. I drink what my friends bring over. Otherwise, I'm not a huge beer guy.
Old 07-11-11, 11:53 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

very nice sir..very nice!
Old 07-12-11, 12:44 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

natty ice, reminds me of the old poor highschool kid days.
Old 07-12-11, 06:02 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Irishsupra
Not sure what I'm going to do about fans quite yet. I want to see what the intercooler piping looks like before I tackle it. I was hoping to use the stock fans and shroud, but it may not fit with the piping. We shall see.
theres a few ways to make it work. ive seen some guys trim the fan shroud cover to fit the piping. im going with one oem fan and one skinny fan

GTEs motor mounts and mounting spots must vary. we tried using the GE motor mounts in different mounting locations and it didnt work. we had to go custom
Old 07-12-11, 06:16 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love this thread already, good luck with everything, so far so good!!

Quick Reply: Built on the floor: My '02 non VVTI jdm --> USDM GTE swap NOW WITH A PIC OR TWO!