Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys! ^^ rebuild as in stock block
Old 06-09-11, 06:40 PM
madchyers
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baadhabit
what do you mean by rebuild? what are you rebuilding?

the car is at 100k miles. it should be fine for at least another 100k even under boost, if you do the maintenance.
True, but he said his sis poorly maintained her plus its not like a rebuild would hurt anything

And I'd recommend rebuilding the stock block over swapping a GTE, you'll end up spending less cause you at least know what the current motor's been through, I've heard of a lot of people shipping out Aristo motors in hopes to drop them in only to find out they bought a lemon. Plus, I'd never just buy a motor without knowing any of its history without taking it apart and making sure everything works, so you may as well just rebuild your motor to save you time and money.

Just my .02 cents though.

Last edited by madchyers; 06-09-11 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-10-11, 05:44 AM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Well you wont be saving money by rebuilding compared to buying a gte. A gte will be alot cheaper and if you buy one from a reputable company then they will have checked the motor and if theres an issue they will replace it
Old 06-10-11, 06:19 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slidingIS
Well you wont be saving money by rebuilding compared to buying a gte. A gte will be alot cheaper and if you buy one from a reputable company then they will have checked the motor and if theres an issue they will replace it
have you ever looked at a used JDM motor? theyre usually disgustingly dirty. not just outside either. pull the valve covers and take a look. ive read that the Japanese dont change their oil regularly because they know the motor is going to be pulled. plus those motors have been sitting for months with unknown mileage.

mechaniclly they could be fine but i wouldnt just drop in a GTE without cleaning out the head, redoing the seals, gaskets and belts plus other maintenance like water pump etc etc. so its going to cost more and be a little more work than just buy a motor and drop it in.
Old 06-10-11, 06:25 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madchyers
True, but he said his sis poorly maintained her plus its not like a rebuild would hurt anything

And I'd recommend rebuilding the stock block over swapping a GTE, you'll end up spending less cause you at least know what the current motor's been through, I've heard of a lot of people shipping out Aristo motors in hopes to drop them in only to find out they bought a lemon. Plus, I'd never just buy a motor without knowing any of its history without taking it apart and making sure everything works, so you may as well just rebuild your motor to save you time and money.

Just my .02 cents though.
im just trying to get an idea of what hes rebuilding. i cant help him get an idea of what hes getting into without an idea of what hes talking about. his question is like going into a car dealership and saying "i want to buy a car, how much will it cost". the answer is, well it depends
Old 06-10-11, 06:34 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3003o3
what's the average cost to rebuild?
to rebuild a bottom end i would say about $2k. thats if your block is in good shape and doesnt need to be re-honed. if youre planning on boost i would go with the GTE pistons, rods, rings etc which you can find for about 5-600 then the rest will be labor to pull your motor, disassemble then reassemble

thats just the bottom end rebuild. the head will probably need some new seals and be refreshed. you also need waterpump, timing belt and other accessories.
Old 06-11-11, 11:18 AM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys. from everything i've looked into, i think i'm leaning more of rebuilding just the stock block. no GTE swaps or anything
Old 06-11-11, 06:30 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baadhabit
have you ever looked at a used JDM motor? theyre usually disgustingly dirty. not just outside either. pull the valve covers and take a look. ive read that the Japanese dont change their oil regularly because they know the motor is going to be pulled. plus those motors have been sitting for months with unknown mileage.

mechaniclly they could be fine but i wouldnt just drop in a GTE without cleaning out the head, redoing the seals, gaskets and belts plus other maintenance like water pump etc etc. so its going to cost more and be a little more work than just buy a motor and drop it in.
Their are certaun things I wohld replace such as headgasket water pump oil pump(on certain motors) but ive bought a few motors but from reputable dealers and never had a head that looked gummed up or pistons that looked just horrible which they look black but no build up or anything. But there is no better looking point of a motor than when its all new from a rebuild and your putting it together and everything is so shiny and clean haha