IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Passenger door wont open please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 01:02 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door wont open please help

hi i have a 2002 lexus is300, the passenger side door was only opening from the inside and yesterday i tried opening from the inside and now it wont open from either inside or outside. So now my problem the door wont open and i have no idea how to get it open. You can hear the door unlock and lock but nothing, i try pulling the inside door handle but it goes to its max any further and it would break. I just want to know how to open the door i can fix the problem but just need the door open and i really dont want to spend to much money on fixing it. Some people say a locksmith others say to destroy the door panel. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-11, 01:12 AM
rayy117
Lead Lap

others say to destroy the door panel.

id say this because i had this problem on my civic, even if u get a locksmith, they wont be able to open it that easily... prolly the tab inside that is suppose to open the door broke... idk its my opinion so if other people have other ways hear them out before u do anything...
Old 05-04-11, 01:18 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

ok yeah just need some options if not i might have to take it to Lexus but i know there going to charge a lot
Old 05-04-11, 01:28 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

When i took the door panel off a while back it was missing a clip that connects to a rod that connects to the door handle. So i went to get the part at lexus cost $10.81 but yesterday the door wont open but everything was fine inside the door panel, just out of nowhere it didnt want to open from either side so im stuck and have no idea how to get it open
Old 05-04-11, 12:46 PM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else have any ideas on how to get this door open? I need to get this door open asap cause my girls pregnant an im pretty tall and crawling from driver side to the passenger side is getting on my nerves and i cant have her getting over like that.
Old 05-04-11, 04:20 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mean teh little panel where the handle is comes off but i doubt thats enough to get anything in there to unlock it, i suppose you could try though
Old 05-04-11, 06:13 PM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Yeah tried but nothing I need to get to the metal rod that connects to the outside door handle
Old 05-04-11, 09:13 PM
dedott21
Rookie

In had this problem before.You can get the panel off by removing the screws by the handle(inside the car) and the armrest then, take a small prybar(pep boys) or stubby flathead screwdriver slide it under the panel and pull the panel from the bottom out,first. its going to be hard because your seat is going to be in the way.you have to recline the back part of the seat so you can have some room then,take the bottom corner towards the seat and lift gently at 45 degree angle and pull gently until the panel comes off.make sure you unplug the window switch/door lock and the door light before you pull the panel off. you should then have access to the internals of your door!
Old 05-05-11, 12:48 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I'll try that I was thinking about that but didn't want to break anything
Old 05-05-11, 03:01 PM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dedott21
In had this problem before.You can get the panel off by removing the screws by the handle(inside the car) and the armrest then, take a small prybar(pep boys) or stubby flathead screwdriver slide it under the panel and pull the panel from the bottom out,first. its going to be hard because your seat is going to be in the way.you have to recline the back part of the seat so you can have some room then,take the bottom corner towards the seat and lift gently at 45 degree angle and pull gently until the panel comes off.make sure you unplug the window switch/door lock and the door light before you pull the panel off. you should then have access to the internals of your door!

Ok so i pulled the passenger door panel off from the inside was a pain, i was able to stick my hand inside to open it so on further inspection i noticed that where the rod connects to the locking mechanism on the door handle was broken, and also on the bottom it has a plastic type box were the rod goes through well that broke too. So i need to replace the door handle does anyone know where i can get one i called the Lexus dealership here in Fresno,CA and they want $162 so if i can find one for cheap i need a black one or if anyone has one for sale ill buy it . Thanks ill try to post pictures of the inside where im talking about.
Old 05-05-11, 04:13 PM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Passenger door wont open please help-1304635284178.jpg

Passenger door wont open please help-1304635335507.jpg

The one with the rod look to the black box it goes through well its suppose to be round well its all broken, and the other picture with the gold color hinge/hook well thats were the rod goes through well its broken and wont hold it so thats why i need a new door handle.
Old 05-05-11, 05:20 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont want to pay dealership prices, you can check rockauto.com but i dont know how they will compare in price or check the classifieds on here/isfanatics.com/my.is and you might be able to find one for sale, your best best is going to be one being parted out. i have on rare occasions seen part outs on ebay, fyi
Old 05-06-11, 01:03 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

So I found the pieces that i needed on ebay and these are the pictures of the parts.
Passenger door wont open please help-lexus-handle.jpg

Passenger door wont open please help-lexus-part-3.jpg

so if anybody is in fresno,ca or around fresno and you have these parts hit me up and ill buy them
Old 05-06-11, 01:18 AM
TYPEONE8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help it really helped out jumping on this site