IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I broke my Antenna.... problem! >:( omg...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 01:39 PM
bod1287
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I broke my Antenna.... problem! >:( omg...

So I just got my IS300 last week and noticed that the antenna that was on it was not an oem one, let alone even looked the same. For one, it was longer, and the previous owner had one of those antenna's like from the first cell phones or old home stereo radio antenna's that extended all the way out. Last night it iced and snowed a little out here and I attempted after thawing to unscrew the old antenna on to simply put on an antenna from a g37 hard top convertible (similar to the s2k stub antennas). Anyways, I came to see why the previous owner didn't mess with it for his three years of ownership despite how fugly it was... because where it screws into the roof base, it was SO rusted! So i took some tools to it and tried to twist it off with a little more pressure, but unfortunately I ended up breaking the mount and now the antenna won't even stand. Even though i broke the plastic molding, it would be something easy to glue back had the antenna not broken inside.

Here's the issue now to help bring it to light:
-the washer part of the molding where the antenna screws in is not there anymore and I think that piece I still have in the last couple pictures is what goes in there from factory but not 100%
-also, it looks like I would have to solder the metal together at the bottom of the base, but I am not sure what the inside connections were supposed to look.

So for the entire base lexus wants $370, and I want some help trying to fix it myself. I figure if I take the inside of the screw and drill a small hole with a tiny bit, then use a metal tap to stick inside there and solder the bottom of that into the metal floor of the base then I'm good to go. But i'm nothing close to an electrician so i have no idea if that's all that needs to be done, metal to metal from the antenna screw to the base inside and/or what needs to be done with that small thin black wire in there too (see photos).

It really doesn't seem like a difficult fix overall, but hopefully some of you can help. $370 for the part alone, and then another couple hundred for labor is INSANE. And for all of you who want to say go sharkfin, If i had to I would, but IMO it's even uglier and besides, all the ones I found on ebay are dummy ones that cover the base only for decor, and not functional antennas which is what i need.

photos:

Old 03-08-11, 08:12 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're over complicating it, just replace it. I did my friend's in the parking lot here at work. Buy one from someone parting out their IS300, I don't remember how much my friend got hers for but it was well under $100. I want to say under $50 but can ask her later.

You just drop the headliner- dont' have to remove completely, just drop it so you can get your hand in there to work (unbolt handles, pull down at the plastic clips- there's a pictorial guide on my.is) and if I recall correctly, the antenna base is only held on by two nuts. The wiring part of it consists of unplugging the broken one and plugging in the replacement. There is no soldering or anything like that.

If you can work a screwdriver and a rachet, you can bang this out in an afternoon.
Old 03-28-11, 10:55 AM
donnieb83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Cool. Im thinking about doing a black roof on mine and was curious how the antenna came off.
Old 03-28-11, 11:29 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Yeah it's easy to do your own for $50 or less..
Don't let Lexus dealership rob you...
Go get a quote from Toyota dealership, bet it would be 50% less
Old 03-28-11, 02:44 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota is always cheaper and has the same parts
Old 03-28-11, 03:20 PM
bod1287
Driver School Candidate

yea guys i did just replace this like a week after i posted this, thanks. I found one on ebay original oem base for like 50 bucks and bargained with him and got it for $35 shipped installed it myself, was def cake but i'm almost 6' 3'' with pretty long arms if you're kind of a small guy the hardest thing is trying to get your hand underneath the headliner all the way to the bolts. it's simple though you have to just unscrew the rear handles, then take the sideliners off and then slip the headliner out the molding.