Lots of Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 06:22 AM
akira2098
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Wind Noise

Hi All,

I've had my '04 IS300 for about 8 months now, and I love it to death. Freaking awesome engine and interior. The only issue I have is the wind noise while doing 55 mph or above. I notice there is a lot of whistling coming through my doors or windows. I read on the forum somewhere that someone was claiming it could be a windshield sealant issue. But I do also notice when I'm playing music and I step outside the car...I can still hear my music. Is the IS300 just not sound proof all that well? My parents have an '01 ES300 and that thing is so quiet inside, you can barely hear sirens. What is the deal? Anyone have any ideas? I hope I didn't buy a Lexus without the Lexus quality.
Old 02-16-11, 09:08 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Well IS300 definitely isn't lexus quality, hate to disappoint.
IS300 is more of a sporty lexus, glorified toyota.

If you go on KBB.com
Look under - Luxury vehicles > Lexus > you will find all Lexus's, but not the IS300
Instead you have to look under - Sedan > Lexus > IS300
Old 02-16-11, 09:17 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Anyway, I'm having lots of wind noise at about 65mph+
It's coming from the driver door and if i put my finger agains the door i can feel it move back and forth. Do you think I just need new seals?
Old 02-16-11, 12:09 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowen
Anyway, I'm having lots of wind noise at about 65mph+
It's coming from the driver door and if i put my finger agains the door i can feel it move back and forth. Do you think I just need new seals?
Yes a lot of IS's I've come across do the same. Mine I'm suspecting could be the window regulator because as the window is at full closed it tends to move back in the window track.
Old 02-16-11, 03:25 PM
nymidas
Driver School Candidate

The IS is not the most aerodynamic car in the world and it tends to make some pretty weird sounds sometimes, especially on the highway with window visors lol!
I get a bit of wind noise to an extent but if it is over the top I would get all your seals checked out
Old 02-16-11, 05:39 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by akira2098
Hi All,

I've had my '04 IS300 for about 8 months now, and I love it to death. Freaking awesome engine and interior. The only issue I have is the wind noise while doing 55 mph or above. I notice there is a lot of whistling coming through my doors or windows. I read on the forum somewhere that someone was claiming it could be a windshield sealant issue. But I do also notice when I'm playing music and I step outside the car...I can still hear my music. Is the IS300 just not sound proof all that well? My parents have an '01 ES300 and that thing is so quiet inside, you can barely hear sirens. What is the deal? Anyone have any ideas? I hope I didn't buy a Lexus without the Lexus quality.
was your car in any accident? it sounds as if the door seals are not properly "sealilng"
Old 02-16-11, 07:33 PM
akira2098
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gomer1
was your car in any accident? it sounds as if the door seals are not properly "sealilng"
Not that I know of, it does't seem like it. It just sounds like a lower end car would on the highway. I just expected better. But I guess from these post, I was wrong.
Old 02-16-11, 11:34 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Also it could be mirror, that's where my wind noise is coming from.
Old 02-17-11, 10:31 AM
IrfanM
Driver School Candidate

Even though the IS300 really isn't like the quality of my Dad's 00 GS300, you still shouldn't be hearing THAT much Wind Noise... I would check all the rubber weather stripping that goes out the door... Also check the underside engine cover, if that is hanging slightly it can make a lot of wind noise and sound like it is coming from other parts of the vehicle. When you're driving shut the A/C / Fan off and all radio, etc and hear/ feel around around the seals... You should be able to feel a difference if there is a leak somewhere
Old 02-20-11, 11:46 AM
BobDana400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my 04 IS300 for 7 months and I was wondering the same thing. I'm used to my 1999 LS400 that I've had for 10 years (and still have) so I noticed the wind noise right away. With the radio on I don't notice it, so it's not the worst thing in the world. In comparing door seals the IS300 seems to have a lighter more flexible rubber than the LS400.
The question is, has anyone replaced their door seals and successfully eliminated this wind noise?
Old 02-22-11, 08:59 AM
nyro479
Driver School Candidate

^ i would like to know the same? Its loud when i hit 65mph . and get really annoying
Old 02-22-11, 02:31 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Everytime I see this thread I think about anchor man...

Old 03-04-11, 10:35 AM
seifm
Driver School Candidate

Easy way to check your seals. Take a sheet of paper and rip it the long way so you have a strip about 4" x 11". Shut the paper in the door with some hanging out and try to pull the paper. It should not be able to pull out easily. Continue this all around the door opening and look for spots were the paper pulls out easy. If it is at the top of the door, you can bend the door frame in a little. Be careful because you can break the glass or bend the window frame in half! If it is lower you can adjust the striker for the latch. Growing up in a body shop, I have had to do this a lot.
Old 03-04-11, 11:51 PM
ken386
Driver School Candidate

Replace the door mouldings on the top... mine was doing that and i can hear it on the passnger and driver side doors... replace the rubber door part on the top
Old 03-07-11, 08:42 PM
BobDana400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Seifm, great tip on checking the quality of the door seals. The paper pulls out easy on my IS300 while on my LS400 it's stuck in there with its tight seal, so that explains why the wind noise is present.

Quick Reply: Lots of Wind Noise