IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My Altezza needs a new mod.

Old 01-04-11, 01:09 AM
OkiWhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Altezza needs a new mod.

From time to time, I enjoy doing a mod that I don't know how to do. Also, from time to time, if I am wrapped up in my job, I get a craving to do something new to set myself apart from the other Altezza's around.

Yes, my car is an Altezza. A 1999 Toyota Altezza. I am from the US, but living in Okinawa, Japan. I dont know if any of you have ever been to Texas, but Toyota Altezza's for Japan are like Ford Mustangs and Dodge Magnums for Texas. I love Texas but those 2 cars are everywhere. Its really played out. When I got here, to Japan, no one had the Altezza. People were freaking out because I got mine in a 6-speed manual transmission, not even knowing I also got the RS200, BEAMS 2.0L black-top engine to go with it (that's the fastest of all the JDM engines made for the Altezza).

Being that I am in Japan, I try to do what the Japanese people do. That being said, I also try to keep it real. This car is still a sexy-*** Lexus in the states, so I don't go all 2Fast2Furious with it. I currently have 8,000k HID headlights, yellow fog lights (the Altezza comes standard with ugly *** halogens), a custom blue gauge cluster, custom blue a/c unit, a matching Alpine receiver in the dash, 64GB iTouch in the center console (playing through the Alpine receiver), all interior lighting switched out for xenon white bulbs, and an Infinity Basslink in the trunk (all done myself, with minimal help). I also wired in some blue LED strips underneath the dash, just because I didn't know how.

I can't express to you how annoying it is to see some other Altezza driver talking about modding his car and bringing up his super-sweet headlights he bought of Lextasy.com. Or someone paying one of the Japanese shops to put racing stripes on and then trying to talk to me about his crazy mod he just did. No one is even in the same world over here as me (as far as Altezza's go), mod-wise, so I feel its time for me to push the envelope further. The other day, I saw a van with LED bulbs behind the door handles, to illuminate, wired with the dome light. It also had puddle lights, and LED bulbs on the bottom of the mirror shining down.

I have a feeling I'm going to be doing some exterior lighting coming up very shortly, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me along? Properly securing any lighting that is going to be hit by the daily weather (we don't get snow here, btw), or anything else I should know. I would appreciate any help, and also any mods you have really got enjoyment from. I'll get some pix up soon.

Also, on a side note, there's a dude at work who keeps going on and on about his retarded-*** Prelude Type-S. This and that and the other thing about how sweet his car is. The other day, I overheard him tell someone that he will crush any Altezza that looks at him wrong. Now, I know he only has +10hp than me, along with his FWD, automatic transmission, and -25 lb/ft of torque, I figure I could take him, but I really want to beat him. I don't really like him very much, so if it ever came down to it, I want to make sure he doesn't try to associate himself with me. Does anyone know any good mods, engine-wise that would give me a few extra horsepower? I haven't really messed with the engine of this car. I'm not going to be staying here for too much longer so I don't want to drop in a ton of money (or i would just do a 1JZ or 2JZ swap).

Thanks
Old 01-04-11, 01:11 AM
OkiWhip
Driver School Candidate

sorry, i type so much. i wouldn't normally ask for help and just do it myself but its my first time venturing outside the car, with the exception of the HID's and fog lights.
Old 01-04-11, 05:49 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah super long post just to say youre looking for some exterior lighting.

personally dont think a bunch of light bulbs is even considered a mod. do something useful like a set of coilovers or performance mods like exhaust and intake.
Old 01-04-11, 01:17 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

upgrade turbo set up?

or even a real good intake can easy add 10hp. high flow exhaust, air filter, small stuff like that will give you few extra ponies to smash that lude

i have a5spd is300, srt intake, hks exhaust and short shifter and my car smashes hondas all day, swapped civics, unless they are boosted
Old 01-04-11, 03:25 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome. Maybe if you raced from a roll and you could get him. The 3SGE is a dog under 5800 or so. I would do a Blitz drop in filter and TRD exhaust. That will help a little. Turbo kit will help a little but not worth the headaches and the cost of the kit.
Old 01-04-11, 03:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All those mentioned and a Nitrous kit. Quick and cheaper than turbo. You csn remove it before you sell the car.
Old 01-04-11, 04:36 PM
KPC
Pole Position

from now on the first mod im ever doing to a car i get is a straight drop. best thing ive ever done to my car. just do it.