IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 08:59 PM
babyboost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

What r u guys that r runnin a header on your IS doing about the cats? I was thinkin of just buying a header for my car but all the 1's I looked at come with no cats. R u using the o2 sims? If so, any1 have an 04 pin out? Thanx and happy holidays

Last edited by babyboost; 12-31-10 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-30-10, 09:16 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

No headers that I know of for the IS come with cats. I run a dual output o2 simulator from o2sim.com and here is a pinout on this forum. http://my.is/forums/f67/is300-how-in...ulator-342693/
Old 12-30-10, 09:19 PM
Sebash
Driver School Candidate

headers = no cats.
Old 12-31-10, 06:12 AM
babyboost
Rookie

does this affect your gas milage?
Old 01-01-11, 04:45 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

^^^stop and go, yes.

Freeway, you get better gas mileage. but this is from my experience.
Old 01-03-11, 02:44 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't experienced much difference with my headers as for gas mileage. My first full tank of gas with aftermarket headers...I got 365ish miles. That's what I usually average.

As for being catless...I am running with CEL until I get my hands on the plug and play o2 delete from Tokens.
http://www.tokensolutions.net/produc...KIV-Supra.html
Old 01-03-11, 03:13 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

^^^^Drive a little longer. Your ECU hasnt caught up to your new CEL.
I had 3 CEL codes with an OBD II reader from Autozone. They have one you can use at the store, if its not rented out.

I had 3 codes and fixed all but 1. First 2 codes were o2 sensors. Got new replacements and now I have P1346, which is (VVT Sensor Rang/Performance Problem (Bank 1). Here is the link for so called info for my situation http://my.is/forums/f115/p1346-p1349...solved-418259/
Im doing the spark plugs and wires to see if it helps with my symptoms.

If you want more codes for the IS300, here is that link
http://my.is/forums/f87/obd-codes-list-326733/
Old 01-03-11, 03:19 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

I have driven plenty of miles since my new headers. lol I know I have the CEL cause of being catless. I also have my traction control and VSC light on...which is common. Once I get the pnp, it will be all good. Thanks for the link, it will be helpful.

The problem you are having is something different on top of being catless though.....Did you go with the mechanical o2 sims and it still didn't work?
Old 01-03-11, 03:26 PM
KPC
Pole Position

i just have a code reader handy in my drivers side door pocket and when the CEL comes on i just scan and delete it..lol..fixes it for a few days until i have to do it again. idk why but im just procrastinating on getting an o2 sim lol. been doin this for about 2 years lol
Old 01-03-11, 07:39 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sway162
I have driven plenty of miles since my new headers. lol I know I have the CEL cause of being catless. I also have my traction control and VSC light on...which is common. Once I get the pnp, it will be all good. Thanks for the link, it will be helpful.

The problem you are having is something different on top of being catless though.....Did you go with the mechanical o2 sims and it still didn't work?
Noticed any difference in power?

Yup, mechanical is working on not throwing an o2 sensor code, which it fixed. My CEL is the only thing thats been on, since I have had my catless headers. Never have I had a trac light on for my exhaust setup.

I need to invest in a scanner, so I can do it on the go. Instead of going to the store and using theirs, everytime I need to scan the computer
Old 01-03-11, 08:27 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

I have been running headers and my dual output o2 simulator for half a year or more now, about a week ago my CEL came on and at my work I have a Snap-On Modis scanner, so I scanned it and I forget the code number it was a P0 something and anyways the code was for the A/F Ratio/Heater Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1(may not be worded exact, but along these lines). I poped my cover off to the ECU and the o2 sim green light was still flashing, so right away I knew it wasn't the o2 simulator or my wiring. So I replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 and it fixed it, so the heater circuit in the o2 sensor must have went bad. Had I known when I got my headers they had a PNP o2 delete I would have paid the extra $100 and bought that instead of splicing into my factory wiring to wire up the dual output o2 simulator I have.
Old 01-03-11, 09:32 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

^^^^The o2 sim only tricks the computer thinking you still have a cat. It confuses bank1 sensor2 and bank2 sensor2. It doesnt have anything to do with bank1 sensor1 or bank2 sensor1. Those are pre cats and will need to be replaced, when they go bad.

Your o2 sim is still working properly. So you saved yourself $100 in the long run.
Old 01-04-11, 07:21 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Noticed any difference in power?

Yup, mechanical is working on not throwing an o2 sensor code, which it fixed. My CEL is the only thing thats been on, since I have had my catless headers. Never have I had a trac light on for my exhaust setup.

I need to invest in a scanner, so I can do it on the go. Instead of going to the store and using theirs, everytime I need to scan the computer
Yup, noticed a very nice difference on the hwy. Love going WOT after 50 mph...car feels like it's alive now. I love my morning commutes to work.

Yeah, I guess its common for 02+ with VSC to have both the VSC and traction light on. If it's blinking then it's a problem with the o2 sensor itself. Mine just goes on and stays on as soon as the CEL lights up. Once I get the PnP then everything should be good...until I have to replace the actual o2 sensor (knock on wood).
Old 01-04-11, 07:23 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
I have been running headers and my dual output o2 simulator for half a year or more now, about a week ago my CEL came on and at my work I have a Snap-On Modis scanner, so I scanned it and I forget the code number it was a P0 something and anyways the code was for the A/F Ratio/Heater Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1(may not be worded exact, but along these lines). I poped my cover off to the ECU and the o2 sim green light was still flashing, so right away I knew it wasn't the o2 simulator or my wiring. So I replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 and it fixed it, so the heater circuit in the o2 sensor must have went bad. Had I known when I got my headers they had a PNP o2 delete I would have paid the extra $100 and bought that instead of splicing into my factory wiring to wire up the dual output o2 simulator I have.
Yeah, I don't like any idea of splicing and soldering wires into my ECU...so I'm going to pick up the Tokensolutions one. Good to hear that it was just your o2 sensor and not your o2 sims.
Old 01-04-11, 10:08 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

^^^ yea same here, but at the time I didn't know about the PNP they have for the o2 delete. The o2 simulator is very easy to wire up though, and its only 4 wires so its not too awful bad splicing into the factory wiring plus I taped all of my wiring back up and mounted the chip looking part of the o2 simulator inside the ecu housing so it all pretty much looks factory done. Also what led me to believing it was the o2 sensor itself and not the o2 simulator was the fact it only threw up one o2 sensor code where as if the o2 simulator wasnt working right it should have thrown up 2 codes, one for each o2 sensor B1 S1 and B2 S1.

Quick Reply: headers